1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

I remember green / black and blue / black also a dark red / black and bronze /black...I think that's all I saw.

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Were they common around Bristol 70-71? We had Toniks everywhere but not Levis that I know of?

3. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

cernabbas - If you can bear with me, I intend to address this with a later post. For now I'm interested in whether people feel they were initially just following the latest 'Mod' fashion or whether they regarded 'skinhead' as a separate thing. I do agree with your comments regarding local variations and this is where I think there might be some points of discussion/disagreement.

The tonik trousers were two tone material. To be honest, I never thought of them as Levi Sta-prest, just trousers.

4. cerneabbas

Yes they were common and you could get away with wearing the blue / black ones to school,I am thinking that the green ones were green / brown and not green / black...the shop for everything Levi in Bristol was Austins.

5. roytonboy

As an example, photographic evidence suggest that there were not many skinheads in London (or that it was a very short lived thing) Most photos from the capital which supposedly show 'skinheads' depict very few people with skinhead cuts. The group of lads walking past the seated hippies is a rare exception.

6. cerneabbas

I have always thought that it would be great if there were more people on this thread from outlying areas Plymouth,Cardiff even Scousers ( gulp ),to give a better overview of how things were.
    Whilst I like the London ( and SE counties ) contribution,their easy access to the Ivy shop etc has skewed things in favour of the smarter ( or softer,as someone else said ) side of skinhead,rather than the boots and braces look.
    For instance most of the London ( area ) blokes have said that they didn't wear / see fairisles and I am sure that was a pretty general item elsewhere ?
    Although NOW I prefer the smarter look ( as its generally more age appropriate ),I did used to like the "street" style,especially for football.
    All IMO.

7. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Well-Known Member

I think it's on East Street and that's the old Robinson paper bag factory in the background (but I might be wrong). As you said it first appeared in the Western Daily Press in August 1971 at the start of the new football season, ironically seeing as the photo shows City fans fighting the three part series focussed more on the Tote End with the first installment carrying the headline 'The Lore of the Tote End mob':

‘MEET THE TOTE END MOB, third in Soccer’s League of Violence (newspapers loved these leagues of violence, see Chapter 9). Bristol Rovers are their idols. And if the team gets beaten on the pitch this screaming army of followers will win on the terraces.
    Behind the goal, at the popular end of every football ground in the Third Division, is their battlefield. Here they wage war on rival skinhead supporters, awarding their own fearsome points system. And this young mob, with their steel-capped boots and cropped hair proudly boast: “We are third in the league.” But this league of terror has nothing to do with sport. It causes havoc to every club in Britain which is fighting the new frightening wave of football hooliganism 1971-72 style.’

City played Cardiff at home in August 1969 and August 1970 so it could be either of those dates. There was always bad feeling between the two clubs and I can remember going to Ninian Park for a night game in 1972 when Rovers played the Bluebirds and several City fans travelled with us (unheard of these days) to help us out against them.

The other two instalments weren't so good if I recall and I think they concentrated more on West Country Hells Angels. I have got photocopies of the originals somewhere and other headlines from that era also appear in Booted and Suited (shameless plug :D ) and can be seen on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Booted-Suited-Chris-Brown/dp/1844547469

8. Pressure_Drop

The most commonest ones were blue/maroon which gave a very nice purple look, I had the blue/black. I've mentioned another make as well previously which I think was CT, think they only sold them in Rodney Thomas so maybe they were their own brand?

9. roytonboy

The first item of 'skinhead' clothing I bought was a fairisle sleeveless. I can even remember where I bought it. If I were ever to dress as an 'original' now, it would be in plain BD, Fairisle, Levi's and steel toed boots - just as I did back in '69 (only my boots then didn't have toe-caps). To me, much more authentic than the now ubiquitous check-shirt and braces, Levis and cherry red Doc Martens.

Fairisles worn in Bristol and Lancashire, so it's a fair bet they were in evidence in most places in between.

Other items of 'original' clothing were pale, thin striped Oxford weave BDs and plain v-neck pullovers.

There is probably a whole other debate to be had on the meaning of the words "original skinhead" (though could be part of the 'is skinhead really just mod' debate)

10. cerneabbas

Hard to tell where that picture is taken,anyway a lot of that part of Bristol has been demolished and "improved",I notice that in town they are now knocking down the 70s ( improvement ) buildings !
    Your post made me remember going to Cardiff mid 70s and a City lad from Lawrence Weston came with us ( a mate of Toppers ) big hefty bloke,he had City tattooed on the back of his hand and he wore a big plaster over it that day....
    You must remember Two tone Levi sta prest ?....did they do a jacket so that you could wear it as a suit ?.

11. Pressure_Drop

Never, ever remember a Levi Two Tone jacket, and if they did one I wouldn't wear it. What was popular was light brown needle cord jackets, exactly same style as the denim ones, think Levis, Lee Cooper and Wrangler all made them, mine was Lee Cooper, so much more stylish than wearing double denim.

Incidentally Topper is not a well man these days and virtually housebound.

12. cerneabbas

I find it hard to remember a timescale for what was worn,I would add corduroy Levi jackets to your list,and grandad vests.....this is before harringtons and sta prest.

13. cerneabbas

I remember the cord jackets,particuarly Levi ones in a Stone / beige colour.
    Sorry to hear that about Topper,he was to young to be an original skinhead,and when I first met him in 75 ? he had long hair...but then he had a number one, started wearing skinhead clothes ( even though they were well out of fashion ) and kept his head shaved until I last saw him about 5 years ago.

14. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Well-Known Member

I do like a bit of cats and pigeons. So, what is your precise definition of a Skinhead haircut? When you say you viewed Skinhead as being something separate from Mod, is that still how you see things or has the luxury of hindsight altered your perspective?

15. cerneabbas

Rodney Thomas "the shirt shop" in the Arcade ?,I think that they had a shop by Trinity church as well.
    I don't remember their Sta prest,I do remember that they had all the bright check Brutus shirts,the top pocket "handkerchief" on cardboard ( all colours ) and for the Teds fluorescent socks,it was quite a colourful place....

16. roytonboy

Granddad vests not skinhead wear by us, but I do remember them being worn as tie-dyes in the summer of 1969. I think they had been popular in Spain originally and people brought them back off holiday. They were worn by all sorts, so not particularly 'skinhead' wear.

Corduroy Jackets is an interesting one.......

In our area they were THE jacket of the summer/autumn of 1968, so really pre-date skinhead. Personally, (and this really is a personal opinion) I don't regard them particularly as 'skinhead' wear. It is true that 'hard mods' and skinheads and people that would later become skinheads all wore them, but so did everybody else. For instance, people in my class at school wore them (lads and girls), even those who would immediately distance themselves from the skinhead image when it emerged shortly after. To me they are the last item of 'Mod' clothing, worn by all sorts of young people who wanted to be fashionable. Contrast this with the denim jacket in the same style that emerged shortly after - only worn by skinheads and their ilk. Nobody else would wear them because of their association with us.

17. roytonboy

Little Queenie - is clairvoyeuncy one of your talents? Meeow!

(it would appear that spelling is not one of mine - that doesn't look right at all!)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  18. cerneabbas

Regional variation again,but as you say the Corduroy jacket was worn by all sorts at one stage here as well...the denim one was worn by skinheads here and also by greasers ! .

19. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Well-Known Member

No, but I am rather 'clear sighted' when it comes to spotting some potential mischief.... but you know that already!

20. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

I am not sure of the quality on the modern models but I suppose if you find one in the stores you can determine that for yourself, the vintage models I've came across seemed to have been great quality though, Its no surprise you hadn't heard of them It was an American company and I don't think it reached England until the 1990's, they also had a line called Clipper Mist that seems pretty good as well if you decide to go the vintage route.