1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

That could have been my middle school when I left...1980. LOL ...if you're black or asian, do not come here.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Yep. could be those "cartoon skinheads" Gsvs5 are reffering too, but they don't look 80's lads to me. Any ideas from the originals?

3. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

Where I grew up in the late 70s, most of the kids that became Skinheads seemed to have been the ones that were involved in the Teddy Boy revival in the mid-late '70s. The kids that became Mod revivalists were the kids that were into typical 1970s music and fashions, or the guys that were into decent '60s music. The Skins seemed to have been rougher lads and more tribal and territorial, like I guess Teds were. When the whole 2Tone thing came along, it blurred the lines a bit between the two camps, especially when everyone from the age of 8 upwards got into Madness, Specials etc.
    I was only around 11 in the late '70s, but even then I hated everything about it. I hated flares, long greasy hair (which I had), the ubiquitous colour brown, beards, maudlin music, nylon and clumpy footwear. When I saw Skinheads for the first time, I was blown away. They seemed to have been the antithesis of everything 1970s, and therefore gods to me. I wanted to be one. It was the attitude as well. Apart from football hooligans and union and political trouble-makers, everyone seemed to have got soft and sentimental. There were a lot of people who were 'finding themselves' in the 70s. Whereas Skinheads looked like they knew exactly who they were already.
    I don't think seeing a Mod at the same young age that I saw those Skinhead lads would have stirred me as much.
    I did eventually become a Mod when Skinhead became more scruffy and associated with the far-right. But it was Skinhead that was the gateway into my style sensibilities. I don't think the Mod look would have had the same initial impact on my young mind. I was looking for something different from the 70s norm. Punk had fast punchy tunes, and were different and new, but they were a right bloody state in my eyes.
    A lot of my Mod-revivalists mates in the early to mid 1980s had, like myself, been little Skinhead lads first. So I guess that's the Skinhead legacy for people in my age bracket (45-50) Also the Smart-Skinhead/Hard-Mod end of Mod style is a lot more of a forgiving look on someone getting on in years and balding than the Peacock-Mod look.

4. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I believe these are the Coventry lads from back in the day.

5. Clouseau

Yes, i think so. The braces over a sleeveless jumper wasn't an 80s thing. Interesting picture anyway. Shows a lot of different clobber. Wranglers, BD, cardy, polo neck, suit with tie, short sleeves, crombie, scarf... Always difficult to date a B&W picture though.

6. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

1969 or early 1970 I would say, depending on locality.Frankly, I dispair at the braces over jumper look - the antithesis of style and not a look I can recall seeing at the time (but there it is, right in front of us), Little wonder we were regarded with disdain by the public at large. This photo, I fear, dispels the utopian image that many of us have about our 'culture'- i.e. that we were all smart dressers with an eye for style. With regard to my previous question, it's a bit hard to see the link between 'Mod' and this bunch........

7. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

1969 if the info is correct.

8. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

It's Coventry FFS ![​IMG]

9. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

The lad to the far left looks to be wearing the police Boots .I much preferred them to any others.The lad on the right with the leather Levi .V Neck and Grandad vest was a popular late Mod look and he would probably have looked better with longer hair and that outfit IMO.i agree about the braces over the jumper.This was a transition point and Coventry.Enough said….

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

Funny,I thought the same about not seeing braces worn over jumpers...could it have been done at
    the request of the photographer ?,sort of "get your braces on display lads,because everyone knows that skinheads wear braces".
    I do remember summer 1970 lads wearing braces under their button downs so they could have their shirts un-tucked..maybe just a short lived local ( yokel) thing.

11. cerneabbas

I saw a pair of Sanders "constabulary " boots on e bay today,I had never heard of them before,I did think that they looked tidy...I am guessing that's the police boots that you mention ?.

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Yes,that's the style.Our Army & Navy sold them.No idea of the brand though?
    Just plain ,decent quality leather uppers and sole.

13. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

My missus dragged me round the local Matalan today. Blimey, what a place. The sort of gaff where people in the checkout queue moan about their property going down in value because they've got a puncture.
    That said, amongst all cheap the toot, there was a tidy pair of POW strides for £40. They were a part of a two-piece suit combo. The whistle was awful, but the trouies were really nice. They were definitely better cut and quality than the Relco/Warrior jobs that go for £30 a pop.
    There's lots of cheap, two-button, skinny-lapel, polyester-tonic suits in there. I take it that is the fashion with the skinny-arse young-uns.
    They had tab-collar and collar bar shirts, but you'd have trouble getting two fingers under them. Not for me.
    Needless to say, I didn't buy owt. I treated myself to a litre of pastis and a Cohiba instead.

14. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

This picture must have been posted on here before, so forgive me. It's just I can totally imagine a pair of braces under that nylon wind-breaker.
    [​IMG]
    Dartmouth is a hilarious name for a 'posh' Ivy League college for those of us from London.
    [​IMG]
    On the Ivy-look. I don't think much of Otter's madras trousers, but Boon's BD is near perfect.

15. Bantam

Bantam Member

A lot of the extras used in the film were from northern scooter clubs, and the denim/docs combo was still common.

16. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

FWIW - They look dead right for '69 to me. :nodding: Attitude.

17. ShortBackAndSides

ShortBackAndSides Active Member

Hope I don't get banned for this! On the slang topic. I can remember some sex related 1970 school playground terms, which you don't hear any more.
    'having it up' - the sexual act
    'on bonk' - an erection
    'mo' - homosexual
    'browner' - homosexual
    'rubber johnny' - condom
    'dolly bag' - condom (although can't find any mention of this in any online slang dictionaries, which all state it is a docker's secret pocket, so I might have imagined this one)

18. Clouseau

I'm sure we had this picture, but did we had the explanation? Clash after a Bristol city-Cardiff match in Bristol. Don't know the year.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  19. cerneabbas

Clouseau..That picture has been put up a couple of times,it comes from a local newspaper the Western daily press,I think that its from 1969 and it says that its in Bristol.....now I eat lunch every day near Bristol Citys stadium,and I just cant work out where the picture was taken.
    There is a special hatred between Bristol City and Cardiff City fans,there is usually trouble when they play and always a lot of police at the game and in the area.
    I think that its a good picture because it shows a lot of the clothes worn then ( locally ).

20. Clouseau

I was sure you would know about that one Cerneabbas[​IMG]