1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

I have a couple yellow and pink oxford buttondowns, very nice with the right tie/jacket combo.
    I also wear the yellow one with a dark green v-neck and charcoal strides with black longwings, very clean look.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

As I said I had a yellow Arnold Palmer years ago and yellow and pink oxford shirts were popular,I don't know why I wouldn't buy them now ? there is no reason I suppose times change and as you get older certain colours don't fit your look anymore ...
    You are right about yellow and green,and pink looked good with very faded jeans IMO or grey trousers.
    Bright pink or yellow polo shirts ( Lyall and Scott being one make ) were popular here a few years ago with younger blokes.

3. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Pink? im sure you mean, rose or man salmon [​IMG], when it comes to shirts i'd consider almost any colour, i struggle with solid red thou, always felt it dont really suit me, and the fact it's the colour what city play in

4. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Agreed, i got married in a yellow Oxford bd, the wife said yes, that will do for i

5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I distinctly remember getting my first "coloured" shirt from my sister for my 11th (1968 ) birthday.it was an apricot cotton with hidden button placket from M&S and a regular collar.She told me it was a proper Mod shirt.That was the beginning of the end ![​IMG]

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Back in the 60s Ben Sherman had lovely plain pastel colours, Lemon, Sky Blue, Green and Pink...I had a White, Lemon and Pink.

Tom and me....I am wearing a pink Ralph Lauren Shirt with matching Pink socks,:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

'68 in Blackpool there was no 'standard' in brogues; within the overall style there was some scope for being competitive, for having a slightly different style of shoe within a general 'look'. When I got to S E London in '68, I found a similar situation - any brogue would do as long it was within a certain 'look'. It was really '69, when we all wanted shoes from The Squire Shop, that things seemed to narrow down.

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

I think I've said it before, Roy, but that is one hell of a nice suit.

10. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

This pair might be an unusual and interesting take on that theme. Not sure if MiE at that price?

http://www.modshoes.co.uk/index.php/product/victor-loake-tan-brogue/

11. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

+1. Roy do you normally try to match socks with shirt and / or knitwear. I recall that being v important back in the day.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Yes I do Mr Knightley, Back in the day Red Fred Perry/Red Socks was a favourite,:)

13. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Nice pic, but it has been posted by MoM a long time ago. they are "The Smithies", from South London.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  15. cerneabbas

A very nice suit,and I like the grey tie with the pink shirt.
    We were talking about pinstripe in work a few weeks ago,I don't think that you see it about so much now,my mate reckons you should only wear it as a suit because pinstripe trousers wouldn't look right with a blazer or another jacket, I thought the blazer/ pinstripe trousers would be alright ?

16. cerneabbas

A nice looking shoe,but not what I am looking for,I want something like your Church half brogue but in a derby style...
    I think that those Victors are called Austerity brogues,I looked on the Loake site and they say made in India.
    I think that with Loake they do offer a good variety,for the price the 1880 range are good value for money,I have a pair of the Kempton boots and they are very comfortable and smart too IMO.
    I also have the Bedale brogue boot in black and they feel good to wear,the toe is a bit square,but overall they are pretty good especially in the cold weather.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

It's true that now most shoes are made abroad. i recently saw cheap Florsheim longwings, called the "Lexington". They don't look too bad for the price, but are of course made in India.
    I checked my Loake Royals, and it's written "Made in England" on them. I thought they weren't, as the price is more or less the same as the Florsheim Lexington.

This is a picture of the "Lexington":
    [​IMG]
    They exist in black too. Any advice on them?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  18. cerneabbas

I am sure that I read somewhere that the Loake Royal is made in England,but the parts of the shoe are made in India.
    I know that you don't like the dainite sole,but Herrings are selling the Loake Soveriegn for £99 in my size ( 10 ) they only make it in black if it was brown or burgundy I would buy a pair, an excellent winter weather shoe and hard to beat for value at that price IMO.

19. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

How old are your loakes, if there the range that was introduced approx ten years ago im sure there just stamped England, not made in England

20. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

whats a 'smithie ' ?