1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Mr Twist Tag,welcome back..asked after you at Romford(The Wheatsheaf) on Saturday.Glam Rock indeed.....:)

Judge Dread was a gimmick,he made a lot of money mind you.He was never taken seriously.Never bought any of his records.

Monkey Boots got around the "No Boots Allowed" Ban that was prevalent in many Pubs and Clubs.That is why they were popular-plus they came out before DMs.Up to then,you had Cherry Reds or Commando Boots.

2. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

I have this raincoat that I was lucky to pick up in the UK in a sale at 75% off. It's a great coat but unfortunately not made in USA. I only wear it about 4 times a year though.I tend to stand out from the crowd these days wearing such clothes.

3. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

I was in Sardinia, Italy recently and came across a Fred Perry shop with really decent BD's with a good collar roll. I haven't seen these in the UK but Italian guys still seem to wear BD shirts with good collars and not the short collars on sale here in the UK.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Italian FP always seems to be one step ahead the others, and they do their own models, very chic, that you don't find elsewhere. Always look at them when i'm in Italy. But they are usually very expensive. Japanese FP have their own style too, but they are not always that good. I've red/heard somewhere that the owner of FP is Japanese.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

Has anyone got or ever had a Brave Soul Reactive Harrington ?
    I have seen one on e bay,it says its cotton and is a brownish / tan colour ( they call it Tabacco )....but the sizing says medium is 42" large 44" now I am a 42" and thats usually large...any ideas ?

6. cerneabbas

sorry double post

7. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Welcome. Judge Dread obviously influenced by Busters, Big 5, i cant say in 78 he came on my radar, his records may have been played at the fairground
    but tbh i would have taken no notice, i was to busy trying to look up the girls skirts on the big wheel

8. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

Years ago I got a 3 Button FP made by Merc to the old standards. Last time I went to the FP store in NY they told me the Japanese label is the only one still doing 3 Button Slim Fit Polos. Seems like the Japanese brand has a lot of more traditional styling at times.

9. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Monkey boots, i think there okay, i dont own a pair, i may of had some in the early 70's but tbh i cant remember, would it be fair to say that they were popular, and at certain given times especialy so with people under a size 6? i say this because of the jnr Marten's boot having a different shape.

I dont recall any lads, from 78 onwards wearing them, but only in my little part of the world, i didn't even know where the other side of Bristol was, yet alone other citys and what was going on there.
    They were very popular with girls at that time, usually worn with short skirts and tights, sometimes with little white ankle socks, or a pair of jeans, seeing a girl with Marten's on with a skirt just didn't look the same for me, and still doesn't, but thats just my personal preferance

10. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Cant say that im a fan of footwear with the greasy waxed finish.
    I took a chance and bought these Loafers earlier in the year, they came in a brownish waxey finish.
    Iv'e been steadily wearing them and polishing them oxblood, there coming along ok, but i dont think they will ever get the mirror shine, of some of my other shoes.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Clouseau

It's sure that for loafers or brogues, the greasy waxed finish is not nice at all. I would not grease Church's, AE, or Florsheim ! For DMs (that used to be cheap), well it depends of the taste and of the leather. The interesting thing with waxing/greasing is that it makes the shoes waterproof. So it depends of the purpose of the shoes/boots too.

12. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I got this from a place called Hornets in Kensington last year. I was looking for a stingy brim for ages. The usual stuff you see about are a cheap and tacky affair, or the sort of thing a Hipster would wear to be ironic, usually seen worn further back on their head than a yarmulke. It's British made and no-nonsense, but they don't stock them anymore. Hornets is the type of gaff where TV antiques experts get their eclectic duds. I don't really suit flat caps, and I'm bald, so I'd thought I'd buy myself a decent titfer. Bloody hell, I didn't know it would be an open invitation for everyone in the world to make a comment. I'd like to know exactly when wearing anything other than a baseball cap, beanie, or flat cap became illegal outside of central London ?
    Someone will drive past in a car and shout, "HAT !" out of the window. I could understand if I was wearing a big purple floppy 'pimp-hat' or a ridiculously tiny-brimmed porkpie, but it's just a 'hat' hat.
    [​IMG]
    I effin love it though.

13. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

I agree, personal preference always plays a part in peoples choices. When it comes to Marten's it's polish for me.
    If i was to need a pair of waterproof boots/shoes, for whatever purpose, i just wouldn't buy Marten's

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I remember Rockers wearing Black Belstaff jackets more than Barbour back when I was a kid,so I imagine they had a dirty greaser tag.IMO waxed cotton didn't become mainstream street wear until the Sloane set adopted it.Now Belstaff is a high end Italian fashion brand and they have priced themselves accordingly.
    My first one was a full length Driza Bone coat around 1980 and then a Stone coloured Barbour International about five or six years ago.Waxed cotton has to be one of the best fabrics around for the cold wet British climate and similar,and the most "Practical" foul weather jacket I ever owned.Sorry,but I've no idea what it has to do with this thread or how we got to this ?

15. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Sorry to have steered things off topic but Barbour had been mentioned a few times prior to my question. I suppose I was seeking clarification -- which I got a couple pages back.

Taxi!!!!

16. cerneabbas

I wouldnt have said that Rockers wore Belstaff jackets myself,it was more sensible motor cyclists using their bikes for work etc ( I worked with a couple of blokes like that in the 70s ).
    We got onto Barbours because I asked advice on a winter jacket,but we are back on course again now.

17. Clouseau

I polish my 1461, but grease my DM boots or MB that i tend to use now only in the rain, the snow, or the cold weather... They're OK for a city use IMO. Wouldn't use them if i lived in the countryside.

18. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Yes,I should probably have said bikers.i think my dad used a Post Office rubberized cotton Mac when on the Royal Enfield.I would say Mods were less concerned with practicality than style.having said that,my bro in law was an early 60's mod,and he wore a heavy shiny black plastic Mac that was apparently very popular early on?

19. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

„Sobre los gustos no hay disputo“ :D

20. harrysgame

harrysgame Well-Known Member

Liquidator didnt come out untill 1969. ;)