1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

When I said "truth" I was referring to girls wearing monkey boots....it has been mentioned on here so many times its getting boring if anyone wants to believe that only girls wore monkey boots (in spite of M-o-M,browniecj ,Mr Knightley telling them that blokes wore them ) then let them believe it ( or anything else that they want to believe ).

2. cerneabbas

Quote: Although I am not an "original",I was going to football matches in the 60s ( with my granddad ) and got a bit involved with football related disorder in the 70s / 80s.
    The subject of FV and how it became widespread has fascinated me and there are some books that I have that trace incidents of large scale disorder way beforeSkinheads,Mods or even Teds.
    I am sure that some working class Mods went to football matches,there was very little to do with leisure time compared to now for working class people ( no golf,scuba diving,parachuting,stag weekends in mainland Europe etc etc ).
    Of course when Skinheads came along they still went to football but because they banded together in groups and behaved in an aggressive way trouble ensued...a couple of factors need to be considered,people were not always expected to work on Saturdays by this time so that they had time to travel,also travel became easier British Rail specials,motorway travel starting and clubs organising coaches....more away fans more aggro.
    That's a very simplified view ( and its all IMO ),read the posts by roytonboy and Pressure_drop on this thread for excellent first hand accounts of those days....
    BTW one well reported incident happened at the end of 66/67 season West Ham Utd v Manchester Utd....Bob the Badger has mentioned this match and the trouble...the Mile End Mob were involved,I had a book called Red Army Years and one Manchester lad gives his account of the day and how shocked he was when he first saw West Ham fans with short hair,pink button downs,braces and faded jeans...( sorry if I have misquoted the book its been a few years since I read it ).
    IMO that game could be said to be the "real" start to what went on for years after,others will have different opinions I am sure.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Mods used to go to Football and there was violence in the Terraces then.In `65 it was reported that a hand-grenade(a dummy) was thrown on the pitch(near the Goalie)during the Brentford v Millwall Match-at Griffin Park.In `66,a Coin was thrown and it hit a Millwall Player during the QPR v Millwall Game.Always been trouble with West Ham and Millwall since Football began......:)

4. cerneabbas

I totally agree,there were incidents even before the 60s and some clubs already had reputations as dodgy places to visit,and certain fixtures were notorious....but when Skinheads started going to football in groups I think that incidents were expected at most games....as long as the away supporters made an appearance.

5. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

Lighten up mate - it was a joke . I never saw any blokes in those ugly things myself just little teenage birds and much later than the OG period but i bow to your superior knolwedge as i was a mere pup .

6. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Skinhead spotting in 2013 -

Yesterday I went with my wife to the Mid Essex Hospital and just as we were about to go into the main entrance I found myself staring at a pair of cherry red DMs. They were totally matt in appearance but beautifully presented. Working upwards, I noted selvedge Levis with a small well pressed turn up and a dark mushroom colour Harrington. I couldn't see the shirt. Hair was '1970 length' - a nice neat crop. The look was beautifully executed and inspiring. It was the nicest interpretation of the Look I have seen for years.

But my question, not being a DM man, is can you buy them like that or did it require months of hard work?

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr Knightley

8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Woman i guess. But for one or two years there are a lot of androgynous models.

Quote:
    Depends of the leather, Mr Knightley. I only wear smooth leather ones, and use grease on them. So they have a nice matt finish.

Found an old picture of young Clouseau, 1980, almost sixteen... At the time, only wore DMs. Brogues and loafers came later.
    [​IMG]

10. Mr twist tag

Mr twist tag Member

I live in a little village called shotgate(wickfor
    Alright mr nightley

That man at bromfields hospital was me
    'You caught me in the act' haha
    I was wearing wearing Hawkins astronauts 6eye boots original (I've been told there from 71 though cos of the mat finish)
    And your right a pair Lvc selvedge Levi's
    Plus a original 60's terylene Harrington
    And I had a long sleeve black with orange check again original Brutus.

Yeah my hairs a tad long been having a no5.1/2 crop instead of no4 lately

I know you didn't no it was me but you still tried to say hello :)
    We could off had a right good old chin wag!

Ps I was having my thumb checked cos I had 8 stitches the week before...ouch

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

The brown smooth ones are the best for a mat finish. I noticed Astros boots on a pic you posted a while ago, but they looked brown. Did you polished them in oxblood or is it another pair? i still find brown Airwair Brown 1461 with more or less the same leather and look. They can be polished in oxblood.
    I've got a very old pair of Astronauts boots, quite a rare model i bought at least 25 years ago, they are black boots with no laces, looks like WW2 german army boots.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  12. Mr Knightley

Wow! Small world eh?

I was not looking the part really - much maligned Barbour Liddesdale, Levi's (but not as nice as yours) but some v nice shoes - Joseph Cheaney for James Finch brown grain full brogues.

13. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

I never had a pair of monkey boots although I liked them. By 1969 my brother and his mates aged 14 were wearing them as a cheaper option to DM's. Girls were also wearing them so for my group of 16/17 year olds they were not so popular.

14. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

i never mentioned it and never said anything like this, i just dont like them on blokes...
    so hard to understand for you?????

15. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

did we had this one on here before???

[​IMG]

16. Stingy Brim

Stingy Brim Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies to my question about mods and football. I’ve got another question. Now Judge Dread back in the sixties he was I believe a bouncer at mod clubs and also a debt collector for Trojan Records. Whether he was a skinhead in the original era I have no idea. But although there are conflicting dates he put out an EP “Last of the Skinheads” around 1976 I think that included the track “Bring Back the Skins” which is a bit of a skin nostalgia record harking back to the 69 period. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQx3SJiAcY) I actually think the tune isn’t half bad although on the cover of the EP however he and his band sport some pretty dire boot boy clobber.

Now what I am wondering is did any of you originals hear this tune when it came out? If so did it make you cringe or were you happy the original movement had some recognition? And in the song he sings about getting the “Record Mirror” to check out the new releases – is that something original skins did – i.e. get the music press to check out the latest soul and reggae releases? And to any of you more revival era skins do you think it might have had any impact on kick-starting the comeback of the skinhead look etc?

17. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of 8 eye Brown DM's roughly 15 years ago, the greasy leather kind. I eventually polished them with some oxblood polish and voila, they look amazing.

18. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Like my old dad used to say, de gustibus non disputandum est. ;)

At least, I think that's what he said. :rotflmao:

19. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

JD was always a bit of a joker and a bit of a joke. People tended to like him because he had a sense of humour and used to sing songs about the length of his todger. He was never actually a skinhead. I have to say I never heard that song before.

20. cerneabbas

There were a couple of reasons why young kids wore them,they came in small sizes and as you say they were cheap and as anyone here who has kids will know they grow out of shoes before they wear them out !
    I remember there was always a bit of bartering going on at school with clothes and shoes that people had grown out of,i got a pair of brown tassle loafers off a lad,he had hardly worn them before he had grown out of them.
    Monkey boots always had a stigma for being cheap,a mate of mine hated them ,he would look at mine and shake his head,he always said that they were for lads who couldn't afford Doc Martens, he never mentioned them being girls boots though.