1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

i loved paint sprayed boots with elephant cords n south sea bubble jumpers

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

The first person who came to mind when that PS Jumper was posted was Mondrian.

The second was Wiggins [​IMG]

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

This one step ahead that has been mentioned.....The Skinhead fashion was very regimental ...you could not really wear something that was not so call skinhead style, One step ahead was really a new patten of check shirt..or colour..or when Gibsons came in. I use to wear American imported shirts from the Squire shop...I would get paid on a thursday..straight into the Squire shop and buy the latest shirt...Simmons always had a limited amount of colours or pattens..by Saturday he would of sold out of that run...so it was a good chance only you around Kilburn would have that particular shirt.
    I must point out the above only applied to the Skinheads who had jobs..unless you had a rich Mum&Dad,:)

4. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

Millets had Harringtons. The bigger central London stores had the most colours. I never knew anyone who had a Baracuta in those days.

Made to Measure was cheap and readily available in every High Street. I remember my brother got a blazer with what we called an 'off centre vent', but is usually called a hook vent and patch pockets. You could see the clothes on TV in shows like' The Fugitive' or 'I Spy' - just play around with the contrast control to see all the detail.

5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] your funny Roy....

Though J Simons shops were obviously enormously influential as to the style of the time,I highly doubt he was well known throughout the rest of the country,or for that matter dressed the thousands of kids who were sporting it in one quality or another.My first visit to one of his shops was in the mid 70's,to the Ivy.I had money,was working full time and still didn't like the prices or the attitude.I may be way off here,but I am guessing you were one of the fortunate few.One of the few that it's been said,he wasn't in favor of,preferring an older money,discreet ivy inspired customer.I see him today as a nostalgic dinosaur of a retailer,clinging on in a secondary trading position with a few lifelong supportive clients and homesick yanks wanting to update the Full Gant.He was right on your doorstep.I would suggest the rest of the country for the most part were not his customer.

6. Lasttye

I have wrote about J Simmons before...He hated the Skinheads.. but it was the money he made from the Skinheads that allowed him to open the Squire shop..and later The Village Gate Shops..I was unaware of this at the time, and never took much notice of the man. ..in later years when i started to wear BD Shirts, Harringtons,Brogues again, I went back to the Ivy Shop and later his shop in Covent Garden, I found him a miserable cnut. yes a dinosaur ..he certainly don't like browsers in his shops.
    He still has a following of people who think he is some kind of style icon...but his shop did play its part in Skinhead Fashion..I suppose mostly for London Skinheads...another shop that was used for American cloths was Reeds in Regent Street, Two of my mates who was a little older than me was more into Ivy than Skinhead..would buy Off the peg American imported suits and listen to the Drifters,::)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Interesting and spot-on.
    Thanks Lasttye,just wondered.
    Millets had Harringtons. The bigger central London stores had the most colours. I never knew anyone who had a Baracuta in those days. Yep a Lemon Yellow one.:)

8. browniecj

He does have his "Modernist Jazz" Followers.

9. Kingstonian

I only knew the shops. I did not know the same owner had both Ivy and Squire shops. Plus I was served by Saturday staff, who seemed to change on every visit.

That said, having a real American shirt - not a Ben Sherman and having a pair of Royals gave you a sense of oneupmanship. I thought the rest of the country were really provincial and we were better than them.

Austins in Shaftesbury Avenue also sold American kit but I remember rejecting their shirts because I wanted permanant press i.e polycotton not the 100% cotton they were offering.

10. browniecj

I am just wondering,were there not American Import Clothes Shops in places like Liverpool etc?I ask this because a Scouser once told me,there was a lot of that influence coming over during the 60s.I was told about Clubs like the Sink that were running the same time as the Cavern.Their main Music Policy was American Imported Records.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

I get the impression that people from a lot of capital cities think that "they are better than the rest".....to be fair you had much better shops, I wonder if its the same now or has the internet levelled the style playing field....I already told about the Londoner in the Kings rd who asked about my loafers,on that occasion it was one nil to the provinces !

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

There was a huge American importer called Cunard Line Ltd.

[​IMG]

No ,seriously.Scousers worked by the thousands on the old Lizzy and Queen Mary.That's what I did in the mid 70's.I was bringing back stuff every couple of weeks for mates in England.Skateboards were a big thing for us at that time,Lacoste Polo's also in 78 i think.That's why I balked at what I was seeing in the Ivy Shop at that time.If I had been in New York every couple of weeks six years earlier it would really have been an Alladins cave for me,but I had no interest in BD's,Florsheims etc by '76.
    The story goes that US 45's were used as ballast in the ships back then and obscure soul records got discovered and played.How much truth there is in that I do not know?
    Whatever,the trans Atlantic passenger ships back then were the main transport to the States and the scousers had access to everything.I guess Tilbury was the same in many ways.

13. Kingstonian

You are probably right. It may not be a very nice outlook but that was the mindset.

14. Kingstonian

Van Morrison would be getting R&B records in Belfast in the very early 1960s and similarly Eric Burdon & The Animals in Newcastle.

15. Lasttye

Having brought up 3 kids who are now 34/32/26....I know from them that London was still the innovators of teenage fashion...and travelling with them around the UK when my boys boxed in the 90s.you could still see a difference...these days i have not a clue.

16. con man

con man Well-Known Member

I've done some work for a bloke, who was the original drummer in a well known Liverpool band (not The Beatles) but he did take Ringo's place in another band, when Ringo joined the Beatles, I once asked him, why so much good music came out of Liverpool in the 60's and he basically said the same thing, that 45's were used as ballast from ships arriving from the States and so dock workers got their hands on rare, obscure R&B records etc and so local bands just simply copied or were influenced, by this vinyl....... I can imagine, they also got their hands on other items, including clothing and maybe that includes Ivy League

17. browniecj

The story goes that US 45's were used as ballast in the ships back then and obscure soul records got discovered and played.How much truth there is in that I do not know?

Yes that is very true.When a Mate of mine went to the old Chess Record Building in Chicago,they told him that thousands of their 45s etc.,ended up that way.Just think all that talent being wasted.

18. con man

I agree, that most teenage fashions start in London, but not 100% sure about Casuals, now I don't claim to know anything about Casuals, because to me, having a wedge head or mullet style haircut, while wearing something middle class, middle aged men, wear on a golf course, did not appeal to me during the 80's....but talking about Scousers again, I have heard it started in Liverpool

19. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

If that's true about a fella at Chess confirming it,then you've solved an urban Legend/Myth browniecj.It's a story that has circulated on the Northern Soul scene for many years,but most have dismissed it as not being fact.I'm not bullshitting you.Honest
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  20. con man

Also I suppose, if Northern Soul is classed as a teenage fashion, then that didnt start in London