1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Guess who? 1968 was the year.They went on to be sartorial disasters.Answers on a postcard please...

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

All that tartan makes me think Bay city rollers ( or BCRs as my GF calls them,apparently she liked them when she was 8 or 9).
    I read a story on Shed end website last week,by a Chelsea bloke who wore a blue tartan scarf to a game and got the p1ss ripped out of him about was he a Rollers fan,probably be ok nowadays.

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Sorry.......wrong answer.They look like maybe they may be deck shoes the lad on the left is wearing.I never recall seeing them before?I started to wear them around the summer of '74/5. I think?

4. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I always associate towelling socks with Cortinas,Farrahs,Essex and Spandau Ballet (Whatever year that was?) for some reason.

5. cerneabbas

Sartorial disaster could be applied to most 70s bands,last guess Sweet ?

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Would say the glam band MUD ?

8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Is that the Pretty Things?

9. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Defo mud les whats his face far left, 2nd from right is the one who wore Xmas decs for earrings!

10. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Mud is correct.

11. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

I dont think yer wrong mate, Spandau, awful, early 80's.
    Towelling socks, just carried over if you know what i mean, Pods, Y cardies, kung fu daps, waffle strides, piped jeans etc.
    Having some sock showing hung around for some time, before stride length changed to what it seems to be for many today, dragging along on the floor!

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

We wore Towelling socks 69/70s..started off with White then Red..then every colour you could think of....Use to get the quality ones from the Squire Shop.

13. cerneabbas

Lasttye...well done I thought I was losing the plot,i was sure I could remember them early 70s ( I think that I had light blue when I first saw them )...but she was no no it was 80s....
    Now we got the years they were first worn sorted,who can remember when they last saw ( or wore ) them ?
    BTW,mine were the sh1te ones from British home stores.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  14. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Last time i wore them would have been the early noughty's ( still sounds rubbish ) saw someone wearing white socks last year, cant comment if they were towelling or not.
    Whilst white socks do get a bit of a drubbing, and i dont wear them myself, i do like to see them being worn

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Cerneabbas early 69 Lads would wear White Ben Shermans with white socks..back then you had those ultra violet lights in the disco's so the white would stand out. White soon went out...but for some reason Paddys in Kilburn and Crickelwood wore White socks well into the 80s... and backward Squaddies,:D

In the Ivy/Squire Shop the socks would be rolled up in baskets all different colours...One lad i got to know from a enemy mob once wore Pink... he pulled it off because he was smart and a hard cnut,:D

These days I wear all colours..Ralph Lauren and Paul Smith.:)

Just to add we talked about this subject abut 400 pages ago.:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  16. cerneabbas

I remember that everyone wanted to wear white under those lights because it stood out ( and dark shirts and jackets looked like you had dandruff all over them ).
    Yes I know the same stuff gets talked about....the thread needs an index.
    I remember Rodney Thomas the shirt shop in Bristol,they sold those card things with "silk" on the top that lads and girls put in the top pockets of their crombies,they also sold bright coloured ( fluorescent ? ) socks,i think I can remember skinheads wearing them....

17. cerneabbas

I agree about white socks looking ok, ( not the towelling ones or sports socks though ).
    Can you remember Rodney Thomas shops ?,there was one shop in the Arcade and I think there was one by Trinity church.

18. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

The same for me in the late 70's early 80's with the socks and uv lights, unfortunately it drew attention to other areas, snow on yer shoulders, not a good look

19. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Yes, i remember Rodney Thomas, Hero's, Paradise garage, Boney maroneys.
    Dont recall one by Trinity, was there a shop round on the center, G. alfred?
    Used to get a fair bit from the Stuckies chain, Lord anthony mostly, good kit i thought

20. cerneabbas

G.Alfred...I think that was by the White lion ?..where the motorbikes could park.....I remember all of them except Heros.
    In the 70s there was a shop on the Hippodrome side of the centre called Mr Zeus.
    Stuckeys was at the top of Union street by the steps down to Fairfax street ? the place to get your brogues resoled was down there by woolworths...( I always get mine done in St Nicholas market).
    BTW I agree with what you said about suits,i prefer a centre vent and as I remember it that's what was worn around here.