1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Quote:Yes, so did I back then. I actually think New Man was in a street running parallel with South Molton Street. I may still have a little 'Bip' booklet I picked up back then. Will check tonight. I recall that logo too. Of course, most things had some form of logo in the 80s....

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

That scarf...if its 70/71 it could be Burnley or Coventry mabe even Palace ( i think that they played in claret and blue then ) as well as the clubs already mentioned.I looked again at the other picture papyloic posted of the 2 skinheads outside a pub ( same source )i dont know if the pub logos are Watneys ?.

3. cerneabbas

Clouseau,I had a pair of the flares with the overlapping seem,they were quite good quality,this was mid 70s,at that time you had to wear shoes,trousers a shirt and tie to get into a lot of clubs ( jacket optional by then ).Funny thing i bought 3 pairs of wool trousers in the sales earlier this year with the overlapping seem on the outside of the legs,all wool ( very heavy weight ) flat front,not flares though...from my favourite store ( not going to mention the name any more i have advertised them enough here )....I looked at the Slim fit white Ben Sherman that you mentioned,i was not to happy with the collar,then i saw on the website of my usual store ,slim fit white oxford short sleeve button down,i ordered it and it arrived today...i am very pleased, £22.50 including delivery !

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Cerneabbas. I think your usual store is quite good. But once again (sorry to repeat myself !) even at M&S the quality of clothing is not as good as it used to be... (Still like some of their food though!)
    About the Ben Sherman, i know the collar is peculiar, but well i like it and it suits me. And i found it for 20 euros, at the last sales (i even wanted to buy another but it was the last one)...
    I only wore slightly flared trousers as a kid, mid-seventies. Didn't chose or like them at all at the time...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. cerneabbas

Clouseau.You are correct a lot of their clothing is not such good quality as it once was,but ( IMO) some of the trousers,suits and shirts are still good quality and compared with other brands better value for money ( again IMO )...I will say that you got a good deal with the Ben Sherman for 20 euros ( not as good as the Lee Riders though ! ), sales in France sound much better than sales here....With the flares,you have to remember that in 75 i was 17 and wanted to be keeping up with the latest fashions,going out and impressing girls ( well that was my idea anyway ),the following year i had had enough ( of the fashions not girls ) and the year after that came punk and fashion had a kick up the backside anyway.IMO

6. Clouseau

Cerneabbas. I am sure that if i was 17 in 1975 i would have wore flared trousers and beagle collars with pleasure, as a "dedicated follower of fashion" ! As a kid it was different...
    About sales, i was quite lucky this year, but only with the Lee rider and the Ben Sherman. Nothing else was of interest. Sales are good in Paris, if you know the shops and if you wait a little, as prices goes down and down until the end of the sales (must be the same in UK?). Risky, because if you wait to much you won't find what you want. As i am quite tall, i'm lucky from time to time, not a lot are interested in my size.

7. cerneabbas

Clouseau.I have become quite cynical about the "sales" here,i actually think that some shops import cheaper items and then say reduced by 70%. For instance i walked past Austin Reed last week and i noticed a light coloured fly fronted raincoat £99 reduced from £229 ! i went in to have a look and thay had a lot left,well i wouldnt have paid £49 for one and i dont believe that anyone would have paid £229....Slightly different subject but have you noticed that sizes seem to have changed "to fit the modern man" as i have seen it described ?,i always wore regular shirts but they seem to be cut bigger recently,so that when i tuck them into my trousers i am left with a lot of excess shirt,thats why i am buying slim fit now,they look neater when you wear them but there is not so much choice in colours/styles.

8. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

If it is 1970 then they are certainly not City fans as we were head to foot in denim and check shirts then. Hair was shorter too. I would go as far as to say that if it's 1970 it is not a northern club as we were still well in the throes of skinhead then. West Ham could be a good bet, but I really wouldn't know what they were wearing in London at that time.

9. cerneabbas

roytonboy.I was just looking at that picture again,have you noticed how the top of the picture has been cut off ? i reckon that the whole picture would show all of the poster and end the mystery.BTW you said that you hadnt been to West Ham by 71,but with Arsenal,Chelsea,Spurs,Palace all in division 1 as well surely you must have come down to London around then ? i bet you had to watch it on the tube in those days ?....in fact i bet you could tell another story ?.

10. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Looks like the same lad in both pics to me

11. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Cheers for the info, as i mentioned before ' Trainers ' came after these for me
    again probably cheapo copys, having looked thru some family pics recently i found a
    pic of r kid in the same pair as i had, same colour scheme as a pic on google images of
    a pair of Onitsuka tigers that Pressure drop mentioned, sort of Turquoise blue, with bright orange stripes on, probably Winfields ( Woolworths own brand ), this all seems to run
    with when the styles were worn and by who, i.e as an eight year old i would have been light years behind someone like Pressure drop.

Regarding Woolies, they ended up a shadow of what they were, which was far from the best, but where else could you buy, the latest 45, a shirt to wear out, and eat free sweets, all under one roof, shame.

The daughter can clean her hightops herself, otherwise its straight in the washing machine with em, im a stickler for the ' shoes and hair' daily bollocking

12. cerneabbas

Clouseau.You might be interested in looking at a suit i have seen on e bay uk,Paul Smith navy blue Prince of Wales check.I think that the colour is ok but its the 3 button jacket with the pockets and cuff buttons that really interest me ( flat front trousers too),if Paul Smith is making suits in this design will others follow ? or am i being too optimistic ( for once).I would prefer a single vent but i would buy a suit like this,or a plain jacket in that design.I knew that there was a brown version of POW check,i think Steve Mcqueen wore a suit in the Thomas Crown Affair,but it was only recently i found out that POW check can be blue,not suedehead of course but i would wear it.i have also been thinking about pinstripe since you mentioned it,you dont see it much in England now .IMO

13. Clouseau

Cerneabbas. Thanks for the info. I am sure three button suits will be back sooner or later in fashion.
    Looking on ebay for the PS navy Prince of Wales suit you talked about, i found an interesting four button suit.
    This is quite rare, but i saw some in the past.

This brings me to a question for the originals (and the others who knows the subject well) :
    Were four buttons suits (or blazer) wore at one point by the mods, the first skinheads, or suedeheads ?

14. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Yes,I agree on that.There were some offshoots that I did not like(example - the Mohican Cut).

15. browniecj

I personally do not remember 4 Button Jackets being worn by Skinheads/Suedeheads(around my area).

16. browniecj

But elsewhere........;) ????

17. Mr Knightley

I have mentioned Gill and Del Evans before. They were original Birmingham mods.

This is what Gill says about this picture:

Del Evans 1964 Del designed this suit and had it made to measure at Hepworths New Street Birmingham.
    Black & White Tweed
    4 Button
    Flap pockets, Ticket Pocket
    8" Double Vents
    A Walking Stick was a popular accessory for a time and at the West End Ballroom Birmingham the Mods would dance in a circle with them.

To be honest I don't recall them in the late 60s or early 70s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  18. Mr Knightley

This is a big thumbs-up for M&S from a Savile Row tailor. It was published in 2005 and things have continued to slide since but I am inclined to agree that some of their top end stuff is still very good value:

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000016.html

19. Mr Knightley

Just seen these on the Rock Your Socks thread and they remind me very much of the 'Royal Gibson':

[​IMG]

20. cerneabbas

Mr Knightley.I like the M and S sartorial range trousers,all wool flat front and about £40 i think thats good value and they look smart.I think that you would have to be a bit careful with a 4 button jacket if you dont have the right build you could look a bit "Rodney Trotter" if you see what i mean.Roll on the return of the 3 button jacket,long overdue IMO.....Paraboot do a split toe gibson like the one pictured,they also do a nice smooth style not hugely expensive either IMO.