1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Cerneabbas, apparently the CWU became used by the USAF in the early eighties (mid-seventies ?) instead of the MA-1. Because the CWU is treated with a fire retardant substance, not the MA-1 who could be dangerous for pilots in case of accident. Slightly off topic by the way, on the contrary of the MA-1, the CWU was not an original sixties skinhead clobber.

Anyone had experience with Knox armoury MA-1 ? they are produced by Alpha, but less expensive. I would be interested by a review...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

I dont want to start a massive arguement,but that picture of the bloke in external steel toe caps and a sheepskin.I would say that its later than 69/71,the way the jeans are bleached,the way the jeans are turned up,the external toe caps themselves all make me think that its later.That triangular traffic cone,i would have said that was later too.

3. cerneabbas

Clouseau.Another reason for you not to like theCWU is because it messes up a classic design ( IMO ),i still remember that Schott seemed better quality ( at that time).I think Alpha is another make where quality has gone down over the years.

4. Clouseau

Cerneabbas. Schott MA-1 are an option, but what i don't like is they have a logo on, like todays Alpha. That is why i think about Knox armoury, a cheaper option with no logo:

[​IMG]

A bit thin maybe ?

On another subject. The end of the sales is near here, last clothes go for cheap. Found a Lee rider, Japan made, dark indigo, for... 40 euros !

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

Nobody seems to know the source, someone on the mod generation forum posted it calling it 70's and a russian website has it under their 70's/80's section but a lot of bloggers are trying to pull some wishful thinking revisionist history calling it 60's to justify their bleached jeans fetish and legitimize it I guess.

6. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

ek77,cerneabbas is right.The picture is later.The whole "Look" shouts later-and in the 60s,the traffic cones were shaped like cones not that shape shown.:)

7. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/quote]

Although I'm waiting for my traffic cone researchers to come back with some data (!), there's not a lot wrong with this.
    Original button shirt.
    Original Levis, turned up (a bit short for some's tastes but not un-seen at the time)
    Bleach - plenty evidence of that from mods, skinheads, pop stars etc
    60s looking work boots.
    Hair about 3/4 inch with sideboards
    Wool vee neck
    original sheepskin

Not the smartest I've seen but definitely not the worst.
    Exagerated hooligan look - nowt wrong with that for '69.

The cone's the only thing putting me off!

1 person likes this.
  8. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

If only he had leant a little bit further to his left he would have hidden the traffic cone!

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

I do remember using bleach on Levis in '69 in an attempt to soften/lighten new-ish Levis. Bloody ruined them!

There was no substitute back then for wearing-washing-wearing-washing-wearing-washing....

11. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Quote:Yes, I am sure that is right. The Cheaney website will probably confirm it. There has been a lot of debate as to whether the Prada takeover of Church's has been good for the company. I have had pre and post-Prada Church's and must say I do not detect any significant change in quality.

12. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

Although I'm waiting for my traffic cone researchers to come back with some data (!), there's not a lot wrong with this.
    Original button shirt.
    Original Levis, turned up (a bit short for some's tastes but not un-seen at the time)
    Bleach - plenty evidence of that from mods, skinheads, pop stars etc
    60s looking work boots.
    Hair about 3/4 inch with sideboards
    Wool vee neck
    original sheepskin

Not the smartest I've seen but definitely not the worst.
    Exagerated hooligan look - nowt wrong with that for '69.

The cone's the only thing putting me off![/QUOTE]

I am not a traffic cone expert but its putting me off 1969 as well. I am not keen on his work boots or the bleached jeans.The rest of his clothes are pukka. We wore Martens because we could run in them. He wouldn't have caught me up running in those boots. I tried bleaching my Levi's around 1969 and completely ruined them. They became my cut downs. His bleaching is cruder than I remember and it looks more like he has painted them.

13. cerneabbas

I am not going back on what i said,i would still say later than 69/71 but and its a big but we have seen quite a few times on here the "regional variation" that could even include traffic cones ! Just because i/we didnt see such a "style" or such a traffic cone it could have happened somewhere else.

14. cerneabbas

Clouseau.I liked the pictures of the Alphas that you put up some time ago,i dont like logos but do they show that much on the blue Alphas ?.I dont like the silver zips on the Knox Armoury one they look cheap ( IMO ) i dont like the orange linings any more.I still think the jackets look good but not for me these days.You had some good luck with the Lee Riders at that price !

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  15. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

here are 2 of my original ones with small grooves.. but only my black ones got the bigger grooves u are talking about....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

Bleaching yer Levis and fukcing it up must have been very common, so variations would be distinctive from one have-a-go-bleacher to the next.
    First pair I did, laid the jeans in the bath and used undiluted Domestos. Hung 'em out to dry. They were still damp (and stinking) when I put them on - just couldn't wait. Went to the Disco that night (I was 11) and there was more holes than jeans by the time I got home.
    After a telling off from me mam (!), the next pair were much better. I was more grown up (probably 12) by then!

2 people like this.
  17. BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz Member

18. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

what i think...

and as i remember right that pic was allready shown on here before and no one said it isnt original...

wanted some data?? ;)

"In 1961, David Morgan of Burford, Oxfordshire, UK believes that he constructed the first experimental plastic traffic cones, which replaced pyramid-shaped wooden ones previously used."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_cone

19. Clouseau

Yes i like those New Alphas with blue lining best, but can't find my size. I should give up with the MA-1. You are right, the Knox Armoury looks too cheap... (very cheap indeed, 40 dollars! Nevertheless it's made by Alpha...In China)

A Bargain that Lee Rider. Was Lucky. Found a picture of more or less the same Japanese model, except the leather patch and the buttons are a bit darker on mine and it's a little higher waisted. (Look better IMO) :

[​IMG]

20. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

40 Euro's for Lee Rider, Made in Japan and high waisted- absolute bargain! Were there many pairs for sale? I'm looking for similar jeans.