1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

That's it Detective !

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. elwood

elwood Well-Known Member

Slight diversion off topic, but I do remember that white one with the red and blue sash, roytonboy. Big Mal certainly had an eye for style. Lifted the red and black stripes from AC Milan and I think the red and blue sash one was from another Italian team - Cagliari? I'd a feeling they won Serie A in the early 70s, breaking the usual Milan-Turin-Rome monopoly. Still, if he was pinching Italian style it's a pretty good style to pinch.

And interested to hear what was being worn on the terraces just before I started standing on the Kippax.

I actually got hold of a construction helmet myself in late 1970 and started painting it up - but it never got anywhere near Maine Road. By that time the local constabulary were a lot more wary about what they'd let you in with and if they hadn't confiscated it I'm sure someone bigger than me would have had it off me in no time (given my track record with scarves) so it stayed at home. Never really saw them after that anyway.

4. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Looks like Ashton park just along from the city ground

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Bristle. Sometimes I even admit to having been born there. :D

6. Man-of-Mystery

You are Sir Charles Phantom the notorious Litton!

7. Man-of-Mystery

I can well remember seeing mods transitioning between 'modernist' and 'flower power' styles. It was about the same time that many mods were wearing military tunics. Chip Hawkes of the Tremeloes comes to mind, not saying he was a 'mod' as such, but I saw him on stage wearing a guardsman's red tunic with loads of braid - most blokes that wore these wore them in plain red. Here's a pic of the Trems - two of them have blue tunics on...

[​IMG]

... I remember seeing two mods in a shop in Blackpool - must have been late 67. They both had on Levis and desert boots, and both had identical short 'French crop' hairstyles. One was wearing a blue surfer jacket, the other had on a corduroy kaftan. It was a light sandy colour, and had a subtle paisley pattern on it, and he had it done up to his neck, Nehru-style. It didn't seem like a 'transition' style, however, just a bloke trying out a different mod 'look'. I never saw either of these guys again, so I can't say whether they stayed maintream mod, went hippy, or what.

Your mum could even get a sewing pattern for a Nehru jacket back in the 60s!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Never liked the Nehru Jacket.Mind you,my Mum had one-looked quite good on her(She was pretty slim build).

9. BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz Member

Slightly off topic I know, but here's a question for all on here. When you were young, what clothing did you hate having to wear?

For me it was Darned Socks - my mum insisted on darning my worn out socks until they literally fell apart. I can still remember the horrible scratchy feeling of the darned part of the sock on my feet. [​IMG]

10. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

I first saw the painted construction helmets on United'S Red Army at Loftus rd in 1968 .. maybe it was a northern thing ?

11. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

That kid on the cover im 99% sure was a major tout at football matches around london in the later decades .. saw him at stamford bridge last year and he looked about a 100 years old

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Ditto.I saw them at Stoke the same year.In fact as I recall the Utd fans en masse looked like the Pearly Kings & Queens of the East End.Every inch of the jackets and scarves covered with badges,rosettes,pennants etc.Miners hats,top hats,berets,duffer caps.It was a sight to behold and like them or not they really brought a carnival atmosphere with them wherever they went.I just remembered the little red plastic sherrifs stars that had the players pictures in them !After winning the European cup,they really were on top of the world.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

When you're a chain smoking gunslinger at ten years old,that's what happens.The Milky Bars are on ME ![​IMG]

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I just found out why we all got a bad name.......

Imagine you are the ticket collector on the last Train home and you are confronted by this guy who's well pissed ,and tells you he can't find his bloody ticket ?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz Member

Definitely a South African thing....

[​IMG]

16. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

Face Looks "Very" Familiar :p

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  17. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

Immaculate.Da Shit.

18. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Welcome BillyWhizz, Great introduction.

19. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This immediately came to mind for some reason.

20. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

"You wouldn't 'appen to have a spare pocket flap you could lend us would yer"

Hello mate - good pose