1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, when the Market traders got hold of the Fair Isles they started selling some real,real, nasty colour combinations that had never been seen before.
    Up to that point they had always been knit with natural,country wool colours.Then along came the Acrylic knock-offs in Black/white/ Dayglo orange and similar ! What an eyesore !

2. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Another one of those flower children/skinhead(s) hybrids? Maybe the acid mods that Bunty told about, here to protect the weaker species (or maybe just in it for the ladies). Or was it more common for beardy weirdies to wear braces and short hair? Or maybe just a few kids that went along with the flower fad for a while because some of their old ex-mod friends where into it, but took their definite side later on.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  3. BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz Member

Hello Chaps, this is Billy from sunny South Africa. I have finally finished reading this thread from page 1 to page 849. Quite a marathon read, but well worth it. This has got to be the most accurate account I have ever read of the style I love so much. The memories that have resurfaced after all these years as a result of this thread are incredible.

I am what some on here would describe as one of the mini skins as I was 10 in 1969. I can tell you though that I looked up to the older lads of those times with a mixture of admiration, fascination and quite a dollop of fear!

Bristol was my home from age 5 to 14 - I can almost hear the groans of ‘Oh no, not another carrot muncher’. Don’t worry, I have almost completely forgotten the ‘krek waiters peak Bristle’.

I lived on the border of Knowle West and Whitchurch Park and I can remember seeing plenty of skins round our way. My best friend John had older sisters who were fully into the scene and puppy love kicked in big time. I was hooked!

Around ’71, me and John jumped on the train for Weston Super Mare at Temple Meads one bank holiday weekend. There were lads from all over Bristol heading off for some holiday fun at the seaside. I can remember Skins, Suedes and Boot Boys all over the place. We must have looked a right pair as we walked up & down the prom admiring all the lads in their fantastic kit. Proud as punch we were in our STF Levis, brogues and BD Bennies and we couldn’t have been much more than 12 years old. We eventually were befriended by some of the older lads and were allowed to tag along and they even bought us some fags as we couldn’t get served. What great days!

I am pretty sure that the style is responsible for my near obsession with neatness & cleanliness and through the years I have always worn something or other that harks back to those days.

These days I have a no.2 crop, almost always wear a BD shirt – Brooks Brothers mainly, Jeans and brogues, DMs or Desert Boots. Of course here in SA, I just look like a well-dressed bloke and not a soul has a clue what any of the clobber relates to.

Unfortunately I don’t have any pics at all from my mis-spent youth to post, but I will contribute where I can. I can’t wait to buy a copy of the book. Keep up the good work and a huge thank you to all on here.

4. Studio1st

Studio1st Member

" Up to that point they had always been knit with natural,country wool colours.Then along came the Acrylic knock-offs in Black/white/ Dayglo orange and similar ! What an eyesore !"

....like the kid on the cover of the Upsetters 'Clint Eastwood' album? Who is also sporting monkey boots (I think), a classic pair of pictures of the 'little brother' type skinhead i'd imagine:

[​IMG]

I've just joined a reggae band as it happens, playing triangle......I just stand in the corner an ting.

i'll get me coat.

5. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

Have seen a few pics like these before.
    Can't help but think the BBC were filming and said "wear these beads and stuff lads and you'll be on the telly" with a strong hint of 'look at all these nice birds we get to hang around with all day. Maybe we'll get lucky!'

This is from Carnaby Street 1968.
    There must have been lads dabbling with various styles depending on who they were hanging round with that day. I've known countless people over the years with a similar approach to style.
    [​IMG]

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Much worse.Like the colours that should only be seen on a Tropical Fish.

7. buttons

Not slagging these two particularly but was this the kind of thing you meant (Bristol Skinheads 1970)?
    [​IMG]

8. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

These two look like they are just taking the p*ss!

9. roytonboy

I can just hear it now .... "You're not coming to town with me in those big, clumpy boots... here, put these on, you'll look lovely......"

He's obviously bricking it in case any of his mates see him!

1 person likes this.
  10. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Looks like on of those Pathe News things you used to get-looking at a "Flower Power " Happening,that did not have the real thing-probably paid some People to dress up in Kaftans etc.:)

11. browniecj

Ummmm,yes!If they did ..........

12. browniecj

Hello BillyWhizz welcome to the Club.

13. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Well-Known Member

Indeed, there's also this one:
    [​IMG]

14. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Hmm...something I have often pondered is does the influence of a good woman enhance or destroy your look?

15. roytonboy

The influence of a good woman is not to be feared ....... it's the rest of them that do you in.

16. buttons

That's the pic I was thinking of earlier but couldn't find it.
    I know he's not a great example (!) but (although I can pretty much guess), what's the opinion on old-style button on braces?

Welcome to Billy Whizz. (I used to have a Ltd Co with the same name).
    You Bristol boys are getting quite a presence on here!

17. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Yes,but would you say NO "Bollocks i'm not wearing that" to that bird?

No ,these guys look inoffensive compared the ones I recall Buttons.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Or that?...

1 person likes this.
  19. PxC

PxC Active Member

I posted that, as a curiosity. It was a record by an american hardcore punk band called Walk Proud.
    The funny thing is that they weren't even a skinhead band as far as I know...

20. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

It is pretty ironic the guys look pretty much as far as you can from skinhead but the album cover in question is a very unflattering image and is a culmination of what people associate with an 80's skinhead.