1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

Was it white by any chance?

2. bunty

bunty Well-Known Member

:D

1 person likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been posted already. Nabbed it off the "For the Suits" suedehead blog.
    Fun documentary on skinheads and grebos in 1970 Newcastle.
    [VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Bunty, let's have a separate thread for your avatars (Will Hay this time - blimey, that's going back a bit!)

5. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Well-Known Member

Oi still plagued by Nazi saluting fascists then :D - sorry only joking.

6. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

I have my dads' cobblers' last which was the single type, fitted into a vice (which I also inherited). Maybe it's some kind of working class thing, handed down the generations. We don't inherit the Estate, we inherit the last. I think he inherited it from his dad because I vaguely remember the grandfather repairing his boots. My dad used to tell stories of going to school with boys who didn't have shoes. I didn't believe it then, but perhaps it was true. Anyway in our family it was important to keep shoes/boots in tip-top condition. I have had it for over 30 years and hardly used it. I spend most of my time in Desert Boots so don't have a real need for it. I always found the blakeys a bit aggressive because they announce your arrival almost before you can be seen.

7. Bob the Badger

On the subject of boots does anyone remember wearing jodphur boots? This was almost pre-skinhead in about 1968. I bought mine from a proper equestrian shop near where I lived and I reckon I had the best pair around. They were brown leather, elasticated sides and had a rounded toe rather than the chisel toe the late mods were wearing. I put blakeys on mine because they weren't cheap and they needed to last. DM jodphurs became popular later.

8. elwood

elwood Well-Known Member

Next train's gone ...

9. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

I've got a brown pair just like that - was wearing them a few weeks ago.
    Got some black ones full of Blakeys I've had since I was a teenager. Remember being chased by a gang of punks through South Shields (about 1987). Trying to slow down for corners was tricky but I beat them on the straight and got away. Ha ha.
    Do you remember when the Dr Marten ones came out? Were they popular or pretty short lived (have heard them mentioned but not often)?

10. buttons

They called the 'Riders' up in the North East, by the way.

1 person likes this.
  11. bunty

bunty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

July 1968. Riders very big here too (at the same time as Monkey boots) then the heavier boots, think it was the other way round for lots of areas?

12. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

My first thoughts from that description is a dealer boot, the fact that you bought them from a equestrian shop would suggest differences? i always think of dealers being a heavyish boot? I know gaggle.com can be random, it threw up a few different styles under the dealer boot search i put in

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I had a pr of Brown Jodhpur boots also Bob.very hard stiff leather upper and soles,with a nice almond shaped toe.again purchased from a Riding shop in town.very different from Dealer boots,with a smooth clean look.only worn with jeans though-never suits like the mods.
    I just remembered that they were really popular with the Birmingham lads first,and it was a giveaway that you were from there early on.That and Yellow Harringtons for some reason?
    The DM ones were never seen .

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These are elastic sided ones are exactly right.Most of the newer ones have rubber soles and a different shape.These have a slightly raised ridge running down the center of the uppers,and as i said before are stiff,hard ,leather-though comfortable.

15. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These came a bit later and were less common,but I preferred them.

16. Bob the Badger

Yes, mine were very similar to the ones on the left. Bloody difficult to get on but comfortable once you did so. The DM version I remember from about 1975 when my brother bought a pair for work. I didn't rate the DM's. I did hear the term 'riders' and many called them (mistakenly) chelsea boots after the mod version with the chisel toe.

17. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I bought my pair of Riding Boots,from the Shop in Epsom-where I was doing some Display work there.Lovely Boots.:)

18. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Like the Photo,Bunty.

19. buttons

good pic.
    And if I'm not mistaken, Lee Riders (and riders).

20. bunty

bunty Well-Known Member

Ok Buttons, I give in - Lee Riders? How did you arrive at that conjecture Holmes? :)

1 person likes this.