1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

It's always that way with Musicians browniecj.Early 60's Dylan was doing folk music from the 20's.The British bands were doing British Music Hall.And some American Pop (Harry Nilsson)was doin American Vaudeville.As long as they learn from the "Good" stuff.

2. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Bought it from a gentlemans outfitters that was closing down not far from where i live, its made by wolsey, there still going and there knitwears good imo

3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Not to derail, but to all the English in this forum, I hope you're having a Happy St. George's Day! Now carry on with your real ale, pie'n'mash, and what have ya. :)

4. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

Ditto, draught sherry was available in the local offie, armadillo brand i think, burgundy and white ceramic cask with the little drip cup hanging under the tap, having been paid with my first weeks wages in 83 me and me mate bought some along with half oz of old holburn and some rizlas, drank, smoked, barfed, not the best nite i've had

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Cheers Botolph..and Happy St Georges day to all Englishmen who have spread all around the World. :)

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Yeh...Happy St George's Day from an Englishman on the other side of the world.. :D Got no real ale or pie'n'mash though, but I got a made in China England flag and a bottle of Beijing Yanjing beer!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Thank-you Botolph.I also agree with what Lasttye has said.:fonz:

8. browniecj

And MikeDT :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Basically, if an old bloke was wearing it, it was old bloke's gear. If we were wearing it, it wasn't. I honestly think it was as simple as that.

10. Man-of-Mystery

I never had a problem with their slogan. I couldn't abide the 'look' at the time.

11. Man-of-Mystery

I guess that includes me up here in the frozen tundra. Cheers, Roy. :)

12. harrysgame

harrysgame Well-Known Member

Geezer at the front in the first picture looks like Gordon Banks the goalkeeper. Great pictures.

13. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

Clue's in the file name of the pic, I think!

1 person likes this.
  14. harrysgame

Yes you had to put two holes in for it to pour. Air had to come into the can to allow the beer out. Foul stuff, but it was cheap and we all drank it. It was also cool to have the little red barrel key ring on your house key too. Anyone remember them.

Talking of gold sta prest. I seem to remember having some very smart trousers as a young un and they were like a gold bronze colour. I used to wear them with monkey boots, thought i was the bees knees. I must have been about ten tough. Bout 74. Burnt the bottom of them with a candle in our den. I was gutted. Had to hide them from my Mum. Always remembered that. Not sure if they wre Levis though.

15. harrysgame

Doh, Didn't see that.

1 person likes this.
  16. browniecj

Had a pair of Goldie/Tan Colour Mohair Trousers.Loved them.:)

17. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Re: pics.

When I was a young man - 15-18, I had a bird whose parents just knew :nodding: I wasn't good enough for her. (Despite the fact my parents owned our house, whereas they rented. - makes me sound bitter, eh?):embar:

Yeh, I had little hair and something of an attitude, but I was clean, tidy and well-mannered - despite their disapproval of me. (Most of the time, anyway.)

I do remember, once, when not wearing boots but a beefed-up pair of Royals, her dad - who was a police 'special' - having a go at me for being one of those 'bloody bovver boys', but she was his older daughter, so I had to swallow it.

She used to wear all the clobber the birds of the day up here did, trevira suits, BD shirts and the hair - yes, she had hair :D - so we were just kids following a fashion. Nothing bad or sinister.

But, like a bad smell, I hung around and was finally ditched in favour of a bloke with money. Sad, but that's life.

We - sort of - kept in touch and, back in 1979, me and my new girlie (been together 34 years, now), moved my ex to Holland (I had a company estate car), where she remains to this day.

Anyway, we lost touch until around five years ago, and via Fiends :satisfied: Re-united, she sent me a message, and we struck up a correspondence thing. (I'll not/never will meet her, even when she comes back to Manchester - I wouldn't do that to my missus, as I know people where shit like that has gone wrong... and ruined marriages and relationships. Seriously.

Anyway, her folks - unlike mine - are still alive and have, in the past couple of weeks, been on a BBC TV programme about the NHS.

She e-mailed me and told me to look out for them and, if I had time, why not pop in and say 'hello'.

Fuqq that, thought i, but, just last week, having been to a meeting at the airport, I found myself around the corner from their house... so called.

It was not a success. Apart from the fact the area is now a bleedin' nightmare - I've felt safer in ME war zones and less of a foreigner - and my reception was, to say the least, frosty.

I was appropriately 'suited and booted' - I was working - and, as luck would have it, i was in my new car, parked at the front gate... but on ringing the bell, got no answer. Fate, maybe?

Anyway, walking back up the path, this knackered old figure appeared, her dad, who said: 'Whaddya want - who are you?'

Walking back, I said: 'Hello, John (he was never 'John' to me back in the day), - it's me, Eddie... went out with ****.'

He looked at me as if he'd stood in something unpleasant, said that his wife was out and that he'd tell her I'd called - and shut the door on me.

Now, let me say that the sole reason I went to visit, was that I hoped - and still do as I reckon he's on his last legs - that I could get access to photographs and videos he took when his daughter and i were suitably attired - of which there must be many. He was a prolific photographer and was forever filming and snapping away on days out and holidays I managed to tag along on.

I reckon **** is currently on holiday, as I've sent her a message and not had a response - but I can't believe that after 40-plus years, this old man still hates me... people, eh?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. browniecj

Great Story Ed.:)

19. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that FB, FR, etc is just one big can of worms that will haunt the kids (and Adults who should know better ! ) 20 years from now,and come back and bite them in the ass.
    Let sleeping dogs lie Ed.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

I agree and, while I have dabbled - not relevant to this site - the results were not great. :embar:

Even the best of us - and I am (still) truly lovely, ladies :slayer: - can't fight time... the past is often best left alone.