1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. harrysgame

harrysgame Well-Known Member

Can't be, everyone knows that ORIGINAL Skinheads wern't racist. :sneaky2:

2. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Now,now Harry.....:D

3. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

It's beginning to get a little Silly on here now, and to be frank a little boring (Well the petty Snide dig's here and there at least).

Ah the downfall of many a good internet Forum.

4. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

just found these ones on fb:

Willesden Boys - Smart, Bill and Shed
    [​IMG]

TOUCH-UP..........White Horse, Church Road NW10
    Original photo taken by Infamous Willesden photographer 'Smut the Leg' - due to having half a shandy prior to taking the photo Smut's shakes has resulted in an out of focus picture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

Well so much for Scruffy Northerners then, though London was the Pinnacle of Style, look like tatty herberts to me :)

Gold Dust none the less.

6. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Well-Known Member

Is anyone here interested in a Suede Sherpa Levi Big E jacket? Snap buttons
    Would fit a 36s

Has some stains, could possibly be cleaned. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Give you a quid for it. I'll buy that for a dollar! How much to post it to China?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  8. browniecj

Well said Gramps.

9. browniecj

I have said before,there were scruffy Skinheads during the 60s,whether it was North or South.But as with other things,it does tend to get shouted down.:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Very true.

11. Man-of-Mystery

Just in keeping with the spirit of this thread - the 'social history' angle - it has been said before that Britain was generally more racist (in a casual way, if you know what I mean) than it is today. 'Original skinheads' were just ordinary kids, the vast majority were working class from the cities, would have had a fairly wide spread of views, but those views would have reflected society as a whole, and their upbringing and education and what was being said in the media. In the cities there was a lot of resentment and suspicion of South Asian immigrants - that's just a fact of life in the late 60s, that's how it was.

I always tried not to be racist, but looking back, I'm sometimes surprised by some of the crass things I used to say that I wouldn't say now. I remember thoroughly disliking the way that South Asian lads in their teens and twenties dressed, but on the other hand I had Caribbean and Asian friends at college. Outside of college, most of my mates were white. There were no South Asian mobs round our way, but if there had been and there had been any trouble, I would have pitched in for my mates and not given a thought to the colour of the opposing mob. That's just how it was.

Just saying.

12. Man-of-Mystery

Not really. Things just get slack on here from time to time, until someone comes up with something new. We've done pretty well keeping it going for nearly 775 pages! :)

2 people like this.
  13. Man-of-Mystery

Not by me, Col. I can remember a few blokes around S E London who let the side down a bit.

14. Man-of-Mystery

What's interesting about the inset shot is the way two of the lads are wearing their shirts outside their waistbands. This is a very 1969 thing. Many shirts back then were slim fit, cut straight and short at the bottom, and lads did wear that style of shirt like this from time to time. I occasionally did it myself, usually with my sta-prest, like the bloke on the right of the shot.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  15. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

Love these photos Past and Present.Would like to see more of them.Given the number of excellent photos posted here I reiterate M.O.M. maybe the Book should be a large coffee table style.

16. browniecj

With Volumes 2 and 3....:D

17. browniecj

Especially Bank Holidays if my memory serves me.

18. harrysgame

Exactly. Id have thought everyone would know it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Anyone with any sense knows that in genral, society was racist in those days. No one thought anything of calling an Asian a P*** or a Caribian a N*****. Not something people do these days and it is frowned apon and quite rightly so. But i bet all of you originals and most people on here, Hand on heart have used those words in the past. Id call you a liar if you havn't as it was common language used in the 60s and 70. As was C**** for chinese people especially restaurants and takeaways. Why is that any different, but i knows loads of people who still use that word these days and think its ok.

Surely the P word is only a shortended word for Pakistani same as Aus for Australia, Jap for Japan, States for United States of America. Just my take on it, surely it should be the way and reasoning you say it for an offence to be taken.

19. harrysgame

It was a summer look. I have some pictures of my brother in similar style from about 1971.

20. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

There was paki-bashing it is true.

BUT there were not so many Asians around in the late 1960s. Expulsion of Ugandan Asians was in 1972 and that is when they colonised Wembley. Before that Indian kids you met would often have Christian names.