1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

I never saw them 'back in the day' (which is usually the cue for someone to pipe up and say they were worn around his way :) )

2. Man-of-Mystery

My first wage packet in 1970 was £19, so that shoes how expensive shoes were in those days.

I think I mentioned that the first thing I did when I got that wage packet was to go out and get a pair of loafers from the Squire Shop. :)

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

A mere £5-18s-2d for me - eeeeehh, down t'pit, living on hot gravel and cold gruel - we ended up having to eat dad's bunions when he was laid off - tell kids that today.... (Apologies for quoting (badly) a Monty Python skit.) :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

the old blackmans shop...

[​IMG]

5. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

The whole point of working class dressing up is to look beyond your means . Teenage boys spending £8 for a pair of shoes in 1969 would have sent most people shouting 'the worlds gone mad ' .

6. corker23

corker23 Active Member

Obviously, I just can't invisage a day when i would be able to spend six hundred knicker on a pair of shoes.

7. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I remember the shop. Always a bit shabby. With shoes he sometimes only had one or two pairs in a particular style and you had to be quick. I reckon he must have sold samples or end of line. He was always cheap and the shoes were all over the shop with no real order.

8. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

My first weekly wage packet in 1969 as an apprentice was £4.00 gross with deductions of 10 shillings and sixpence National insurance and £1- 10 shillings to Mum for housekeeping leaving £1 and 19 shillings and a tanner for me. I also Had a Friday night and all day Saturday job in a greengrocers that gave me £3 and 10 shillings cash plus fiddles.

All this cash was spent on clothes and having a good time. Having the right brand of clothes was essential and you would get these at any cost. those couple of years in the skinhead times 69-71. i was clothes mad like most of the lads, but after that period I was never so enthusiastic. I would say those times were the smartest fashion era - clothes were more like a uniform - smart. Certain clothes for different times of day or week and especially location

if only we could turn back time

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

I was earning £11 per week in 69...£3 to my Mum....that i loaned back off Her on the monday to get through the week, :D

Before i left school i had a evening and Saturday job...and as you say with fiddles i was earning more than when i left school,:)

Everyone had a job back then...without a job you was nothing..no cloths no outs nothing.

10. Ed Vaughan

I used to depend on the Saturday morning O/T to top my wages up in '70.

Mind you, I never (really) drank and, while clubs were expensive, it was possible to get out and about Friday and Saturday night - football on the Saturday, of course - and a cheap night at the local bug-hut on Sunday.... but we've already covered this so I'll STFU. :nodding:

That said, like Roy, it was a visit to the bank of mum on Monday to get bus fare and lunch money. (Bless 'em all.) :embar:

11. flyfronted

Me neither but its good to have a holy grail to dream about .

12. flyfronted

[​IMG]
    THE best ever Skinhead picture ? every kid in this looks top draw

1 person likes this.
  13. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

Love the talk about jobs and wages.Gives a perspective to us young ones when quoting prices of clothes.If your making 19 pound a week and a pair of shoes was 8.Thats a big chunk.And the memories of the Parents adds alot.This story is about humans tryin to make it thru.To me it's not just about the clothes and music.The few skinhead books around don't have personal stories about the people Around the skins.The stories here are from individuals,not a nameless faceless Mob,which has been the perception of outsiders until now.I'm wondering M.O.M. if the book might include some recent pics of the "originals"today.Lasttye's pic of him and his rude boy pal is one I have in mind.

14. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

What I can remember was-Piles of boxes everywhere on the Floor, of Shoes.He would disappear up a Ladder into another pile.It was a nightmare.Three years ago,I was in Lanarka,Cyprus and the Shoe Shop was exactly the same.Mind you,I came away with some nice all Leather,Basket Weave,Tasseled Slip-ons(more Mod than Skinhead).Cheap as well!!!

15. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

I paid $749 for my bluchers at aldens last year. All half price at Austins just round the corner. Went in thinking 2 for the price of 1, touch! Only had Claude hopper sizes or dwarf sizes though! Should have known better!!!

16. Ed Vaughan

Lucky, lucky, lucky smug bassa!!!!

There again, you obviously worked hard to get there - brilliant!!

Jealous - me... not many! :nodding:

17. Man-of-Mystery

I'm trying to get a handle on comparing some prices then and now. A while ago someone was talking about getting a pair of shoes for $600 US. That's about £400 at current rates. My pension is about £1100 per month, which is about £270 per week...

18. Man-of-Mystery

I can still remember my mum holding her head in her hands when I paid a fiver for a posh tie. Seriously.

19. Man-of-Mystery

It's a thought - maybe at the end.

You know, I might be mis-remembering my wages. My job was as a labourer for the Parks Department at Bromley Council. It was certainly somewhere between £15 and £20.

20. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Back to the old days M-o-M :) Seeing what you wanted,and then saving up for it.Oh! the joy......