1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. corker23

corker23 Active Member

[​IMG] a pic of some rudies wearing parkas that I found online. Now lets have a little dance, huh?

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Great stuff indeed. I think a picture of what we were like as kids might find its way in somewhere. Good 'human interest' stuff - good 'social history'.

3. Man-of-Mystery

Aces, you just brought back 1967 for me! :)

4. Man-of-Mystery

Whoa! Duke Ellington meets Ska! Crazy! :D

5. corker23

corker23 Active Member

You got it M-0-M!

6. Man-of-Mystery

Easy lads, easy. ;)

Strictly speaking the M-51 Field Jacket and the fishtail Parka are different garments. In the UK we'd call the M-51 a 'combat jacket' (though that term covered other coats apart from the M-51). They were worn in the mid 1960s. In the NW of England some scooter-boys wore them if they couldn't get hold of a Parka, but by the late 60s I saw more rockers or 'mids' wearing them.

[A 'mid' was a term for a bloke who wore some clothes that were mod-oriented but others that seemed to be carried over from teddy-boy or rocker fashion.]

7. Man-of-Mystery

:D

8. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, a lot of these model numbers get confusing and even UK websites were simply calling the jacket the M-51 but I've found the proper name The USMC M-1951 Parka the confusion came because I was looking under US Army items which are much more common, to confuse things more the original ones were thick like the field jackets but they later changed them to the ones you know and love because of problems with water saturation, sorry for the aggressive tone Aces and Eights was just trying to figure out this tangled mystery.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

Thats ok.

I am finding that the 'web' appears to 'blue highlight' words that then link onto various items. When we have written something we are unaware that the 'web' is linking us to other things. This seams to have been the situation for the misunderstanding of what each other was talking about

But I think we are all clear now - phew !!

10. HughJ

HughJ Well-Known Member

I received one of these as a gift several years ago, but never found occasion to wear it. Seems they fetch a pretty penny on eBay.

Yes, very annoying! Through ad blocking software and a little bit of customization I've managed to make this site (and every site I frequent) much more readable.

11. harrysgame

harrysgame Well-Known Member

We still used to do that in the 70s mate. I still have a gas mask bag at home that i use occasionally.

12. harrysgame

When i was young our estate often mobbed up against the neighboring ones. It wern't knives and guns like today. But broom handles and dustbin lids as shields. And occasional catapult with ballbearings. Anyone who had a knife was told to leave it at home, that was serious tuff.
    Brings back many happy evenings. And a couple of not so happy ones.

13. harrysgame

Your not quite correct there mate. The M-51 is both a parka and there is also a M-51 field jacket. The 51 i believe was is attributed to the Korean war. Then there is the M-65 which is Vietnam war issue. The main difference (parkawise) The M-51 has eppilettes and the hood is attatched. It also has a thicker liner which is made(I believe) of lambs wool. The M-65 has an a hood that unbuttons, no eppilettes and the liner is much thinner and is made more like terry towelling.

The field jackets have similar differences.

14. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

Do you remember the Knife game where two boys stood opposite each other and took turns in thowing the knife in the ground by the others legs. You had to stretch your foot where the knife dug in and then it was your turn to throw..so you both ended up doing the splits.The rules were the Knife had to stick in the ground to count and you had to reach the knife from your standing position to take a throw. All done whilst wearing plimsols,cheap plastic shoes or Scholl sandels.

15. corker23

corker23 Active Member

This tune always makes me want to go to the bookies.

16. corker23

corker23 Active Member

Me grandad taught me a couple of knife throwing games when I was a young 'n. That one that you just mentioned and one where you had to balance the knife on its point and then flick it off each finger then the palm then the elbow then the shoulder and so on and make it stick in the ground. I had to promise not to tell me mam when we'd been playing with knives.

17. corker23

corker23 Active Member

I should have mentioned that the knife had to be flicked above head hight for it to count. Happy days, haha!

18. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

It was known down our way quite simply as 'splits' and there was always arguments of lads using sheath knives compared with those who only had pen knives. H&S who needed it !!

19. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

Yes we called it splits as well. Doing it with a pen knife did seem a bit inadequate when somebody produced a wacking big Bowie knife!

20. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Thats what we called it, When You think of it we did some dangerous things as kids..Our Parents never knew a thing,
    One sad story a lad around our way climbed up a electric pylon and was burnt to a cinder, They had to turn off the current to get his body down.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013