1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Oneflewover

Oneflewover Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic. In Scarborough last night. A large group of Teddy Boys out, suits, crepes, pencil ties. They don't seem as cool when they are fat and bald.

There is a time to say to hell with fashion.

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

No one looks cool when they are fat and bald, :D

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

I must remember to ask Gabriela if we can use them.

4. Man-of-Mystery

At least I'm not fat any more. :(

5. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

Shit, but true, Roy. Old age and beer gets many of us in the end [​IMG]

Don't know whether this autobiographical cartoon strip has ever been mentioned here:

http://www.smalltownmod.com/en/comics-en/page-1/

6. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree with this Fat and Bald bizness.I think Buster from Bad Manners is pretty cool (and a decent dancer as well)

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

You can pay £5000 on a Saville Row Suit ,but if you are a fat fcuk ..it will look like a bag of shit ,:D

1 person likes this.
  8. yankmod

I respect you Lasttye and your right to differ with myself.Maybe this can only be settled by the women.[​IMG](promise I won't over use these yellow headed fellas)

9. Man-of-Mystery

I haven't seen it mentioned, but the cartoon artwork is good.

10. yankmod

I agree with M.O.M. The artwork looks very cool.Looking forward to reading it.Thanks for posting it Watermelon man.

11. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Waiting for a Westbound Tube(at Mile End)on Saturday evening when two Youths came and stood near me.One was wearing the usual mass marketed rubbish but the other made me take notice.He was not a Skinhead but there were the Influences -Black Brogues,with a heavy Leather Sole,Black Jeans with a 1/2" Turn-up(not the skinny type either)and a Pork-Pie Hat.He ,at least,had made an effort.:).

12. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

13. Ed Vaughan

Some of mine:

Loakes, Barkers and Church's, couple of pairs of Bass, pair of (still tight)John Lewis Loafers and a random pair of Jones'.

I have a lock-up I will be visiting for the first time in a number of years next weekend that has, if I remember correctly, a box of shoes from 80s- 90s - I left ... may be be a pile of crap, but who knows?

No Royals - but I'll fix that. :satisfied:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  14. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

The shoes all look in good condition. Well cared for. Very rare these days. Do you do anything special or is it just the usual spit and Kiwi polish?

15. Ed Vaughan

Hi Bob,

A couple of pairs are 15-20 years old and all get a coating a day -or two - after having been worn.

Never stuck under a radiator to dry - when wet - and yes, just some Kiwi or Cherry Blossom rubbed in and brushed out after the polish has soaked in.

I'm sure others' have better ways; but the old 'spit-and-polish' has always seen me through.

Dunno what the garage shoes will be like, mind. It's a very dry environment - dunno if that's a particularly good thing, though - and they haven't seen the light of day for years. :embar:

Some go in shoe lasts but I walk odd :D - and the buggers are always mis-shapen after a couple of wears... however much they cost. :)

16. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

Weird Ed most of the storage units where I live have the opposite problem they always seem to get too much moisture, I take it Bass used to make a fairly good shoe in the past when made in USA? I've ran into some of their loafers from the 70's that seem to be of medium range quality, seems they used to deal big on the lower end boat shoe market in the 80's and 90's were quite successful at that, Church's seem to be well respected somewhere in the realm equal to allen edmonds, funny to see how big the kiwi shoe polish brand really is never realized, I ran into a huge lot of their stuff quite awhile ago got atleast 15 brand new tins for dirt cheap perhaps I should start selling some of it off, I can never use it all in a life time.

17. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

Good luck with the garage shoes Ed. I put a lot of clothes in my loft 20 years ago in a closed section. I had grown out of them. On losing weight I went back to the loft expecting to find a lot of Vintage clothes only for my missus to tell me that it had all gone to the charity shop! I don't suppose much of the stuff was that good but in my mind it suddenly all became irreplaceable. She gave a J Simons bought Baracuta Harrington jacket to her brother. He never wore it but kept it in his basement for 20 years. Last year he gave it back to me in near perfect condition. Result!
    Sirryacus, Kiwi polish has always been a standard shoe polish in the UK. Nothing too expensive and generally does the job.

18. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

Its pretty much the standard here in the states as well.

19. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Got these from Jones about 10 years ago .

20. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

I brought a pair of Yuketen boots last year lovely things - the standard cleaner recommended is Bear Fat [​IMG]