1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

another new old pic.. ;)

[​IMG]
    Skinheads in Coventry's shopping precinct. 4th October 1969 Mirrorpix

2. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

and again braces over knitwear.. :D

1 person likes this.
  3. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

actually this is the same bunch of skinheads we have talked about some pages ago....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. ek77

ek77 Well-Known Member

another nice find from 1976 and a strange but funny story about it... someone knows more or the whole truth about it????

Hair - A South Wales comprehensive school head took out his own contract on a group of boys who sauntered into school sucking lollipops wearing dark glasses and proudly displaying Kojak haircuts. He turned hitman when one shaved pupil asked his deputy Who loves ya baby? Mr Basil Phillips of St Cenydd School Caerphilly suspended them for three weeks until their hair had grown to a reasonable length. Three boys whose heads were shaven were Andrew Horne and Leslie Davies both of Francis Street and Colin Woods of Llan Road. all aged 15. Picture shows some of the Kojak kids...Michael Anderson Tony Preece Allan Gittins Colin Woods Russell Tovey Andrew Horne Stephen Porter Terry Miller - 20th May 1976
    [​IMG]

5. Mrweselmann

Mrweselmann Member

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Wow!

I can't get my head round the guy in the foreground, sitting, wearing what looks like high-waisted flares(!!!) and I'm sure... braces?

It's right - for the time - with the kid wearing the scarf, with club badge sewn on it; (despite his braces being shown outside the jumper) and the haircuts... but 'lionel blairs'?

Diversity really was alive and well, eh? :D

7. Ed Vaughan

British Style Genius in one lump - playable abroad. (HQ)

1 person likes this.
  8. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Even down our way we had odd balls who did not wear the norm, these blokes tended to be on the fringes, blokes who came and went ..who no one had any interest in,:D

9. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Well-Known Member

So, Ed: did your 'friend' learn his lesson?!

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

those are not anything like staprest worn by skinheads, in that they are very skinny fitted. The closest staprest Levis sells currently to original 60s ones is made for Japan market only and unavail outside of Japan. unless you just want really skinny staprest cloth strides, I would stay away from those if you are going for the skinhead look.

11. Ed Vaughan

Who knows... :happy:

12. Lasttye

Yes Jason they look awful, Why cant Levi just reissue the original 60s Levi Staprest on the Vintage Label ?.

13. Ed Vaughan

'Facebook' campaign, anyone? :happy:

14. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Back in `70/`71,the Old Bill were still recruiting "off the streets".A Mate of mine joined up and he said within that years` "Intake"there were Skinheads,Greasers and a Hells Angel.This was when they had Respect-from the Community(most of them were from it)-not now.College Boys who want a "Fast-Track" to Promotion.Most of them do not know what goes on anymore.:)

15. Lasttye

If they was recruiting off the streets they was not in Kilburn, :D I did not know anyone that had not been nicked, It was so bad in the 60s/70s Skinheads getting nicked [mostly for nothing] it was affecting recruitment into the Army.
    It was reported at the time a Recruiting Sargent Major said these Skinheads by fighting at football they show the fighting spirt we could use, they also show loyalty to each other, but because many have criminal records we have to turn them away,
    By 73 this changed with the Rehabilitation Act which allowed lads in. But this did not allow recruitment into the Police.

16. browniecj

Only saying what he told me,Roy.That was in the Surrey Force.

17. browniecj

And Dave became my Brother-in-Law,so I cannot see him making it up.:)

18. Brideshead

Brideshead Well-Known Member

Page 500!

We did not get asked to help out in the community - a fine was the norm. In my case I managed to lead a charmed life but got caught on one occasion travelling on a train sans ticket, jumped out of the station window but got caught by a Railway copper. My mate made off of course. I made the mistake of giving my real name and shortly afterwards was fined in court, but much worse my headmaster said he was 'disappointed' in me.....

19. browniecj

What would have been worse for was,a clip around the Ear(from my Father),he could still do it.:)

20. circustavern777

circustavern777 Well-Known Member

good evening to everyone i hope you are all fit and well , i just brought some clobber from a site called www.atomretro.com great choice igot a couple of striped Bens and some gabichi polos , you probaly know the site but im well pleased with the two day delivery and quality my spellings bad