1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

You youngster! I do not remember exactly what road it was in but I ventured into the nearest pub to it with my brother and sister in law to be. When I mentioned this to my father he told me it was a gay pub. Thinking back there were few women in there; but gay pubs did not have big rainbow signs outside in those days. My father was an old fashioned Irishman who spent five minutes in barbers reading a copy of Gay News before the penny dropped. He had worked in the area so somebody must have tipped him off.

3. London Rudeboy

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

I got in the Champion with a couple of mates one night, They did not know it was a Gay pub, By the second pint one said is this a Poofs pub fcuking hilarious. :D: :D, The pub has changed its name these days.

5. London Rudeboy

What a giggle! In the early 80s I regularly drank, on Sunday evenings, in the gay pub on the corner of St. Martin's Lane and the cut through between the book shops and theatre that emits onto Charing X Rd. The Marquis of something I think it was called. I'd been going there for a good while with 2 or 3 mates, when one evening in about 84, my mate Tony, a huge fella, newspaper journalist, turns to me and says, "you know this is a queer pub,right?" Me: "eer no, I didn't know that" Tony: "and James, you know I'm gay don't you?" Me: "well, I do now, and it's your round"

Hilarity ensued! Because all the others in our group knew it was a gay pub and that Tony was gay...so the laughs were on me!

6. London Rudeboy

I still laugh out loud when I hear East Enders cheering on their team, West Ham, with the chant "Come on you Irons"
    As I'm sure you know in cockney rhyming slang: Iron (h)'oof = poof. Perhaps why "Come on you 'ammers" is a more popular chant [​IMG]

Rather ironic that the cockney team numero uno has a chant like that!

7. Lasttye

Each year their is a Skinhead Doo in Birmingham called Scorcher it attracts smart skinheads from all over Europe, But also at the same time and once across the street is a Gay skinhead doo, Funny as fcuk. :D

When you think back in the 60s Skinheads went Queer bashing, And now you have gay skinheads.. is that ironic or what ,:D

8. stilts121

stilts121 Active Member

Interesting. Makes sense.

As a huge fan of Iron Maiden, the "UP THE IRONS!" exclamation takes on a whole new meaning.

9. el norte

el norte Active Member

Cheers for that, will look out for it. I read King's 'Hoolifan' book a few years ago which was a good read from what I can remember.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. el norte

el norte Active Member

That definitely makes sense. The older lads apparently wore Wrangler mainly around 69-71 in Cumbria/N. Lancs?

Don't know if anyone has seen these but here's a couple of short news clips from 1970 which may be of interest:

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1970/05/25/FS250570092/?s=skinhead&st=0&pn=3&sortBy=date

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1970/05/03/FS030570059/?s=skinhead&st=0&pn=3&sortBy=date

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. OHT

OHT Well-Known Member

lol I don't take them serious, nor do I look at them as skinheads(I don't get how it would go hand in hand either way).
    This does bring a question in mind since I don't think its been asked(for the Originals): What would of been your reaction if there was Gay/Lesbian skinheads back in your day? I'm guessing you would of "welcome them OUT" of skinhead but thought it would be interesting to hear your responses.

12. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

I have a question about "Jungle Geens" I found a pair online in my usual size in Denim, but not sure how they fit. Did Jungle Greens fit baggy or around true to size? I know it may be awhile back to remember :D

13. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Well-Known Member

Thank god this years 'Scorcher' moved to a different venue, i.e. the Irish centre.

Is that why it moved? Maybe?

That 'boots n braces' event that was held very close to 'scorchers' old Clobs club venue, was a piss take.
    Gives Birmingham a bad name to outsiders.
    I have nothing against that community, but they dress up just for the sake of it. In a sort of comedy 'Russ Abbot' style.
    I think some of them gentlemen even have hankerchiefs tied on their heads like Mr Grumble off 'Monty Python'.
    And I shudder to think what tunes they play in there.

Avoid [​IMG]

14. Lasttye

Iam wearing a pair of American issue, Jungle Greens, OG 107 60s Issue, The same as i wore in 68, back then you could get them in any Army Surplus shops in London, now hard to get hold of, in the UK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Well-Known Member

I've never really liked Jungle Greens, but that pair look sound.
    I hate the new 'modern' European shiny green equivalents. Stiff as a board too, with crap pockets.

Nice Mikkel Rude shirt to the right too.(Deano [​IMG] )

16. sivanpunk

sivanpunk Member

Roy, what kind of jeans and boots is the fella on the right wearing? (Your left)

17. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

Nice Lasttye! Those are the same type I've found online, for only 12USD, they look nice in my opinion.

18. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Well, I knew one girl who was fairly openly gay and one bloke who 'came out' about a decade later, but apart from that it was unheard of.

While I was running Yell a bloke from Gay Times approached me to say that he knew a fair number of blokes who were 'in the closet', which I guess is something you didn't talk about in those days.

Roy,have often wished I could pick up a pair of greens. There are plenty of combat strides around, but none without pockets on the leg. However, as I don't currently own a pair of DMs it would probably be pointless looking for a pair of greens.

19. London Rudeboy

I regret handing in my OGs when I left the RAF Regt in 82. As regards size, they fit like normal trousers actually, often a bit on the snug side though. DPM camo on the other hand was a much heavier material and needed to be much looser for its purpose, out in the field. You see, OGs were our daily uniform. But on exercise you wore DPM. Here's a few likely lads in 1981 on 58 Sqn, that's how we wore OGs:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  20. Lasttye

The problem with British OGs and Lightweights they have the thigh pocket, The American issue OG Sateen had no thigh pocket and was a more walking out trouser. which suited us in the 60s.