1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Raxxman

Raxxman Well-Known Member

I just ordered a pair of docs Chelsea boot style.

Yeah I'm lazy when it comes to laces.

2. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Well-Known Member

You mean "This is England", the movie. not made in england. There was a film called Made in Britain starring Tim Roth as a racist skinhead, but obviously a completely different movie [​IMG]

speaking of This is England, they just finished airing the 4 part sequel called This Is England 86

Damn! You're totally right. This Is England is the movie. http://www.amazon.com/This-England-T...5860626&sr=8-1

I was just reading about This Is England 86. Gonna have to add that to the collection.

3. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Well-Known Member

Damn! You're totally right. This Is England is the movie. http://www.amazon.com/This-England-T...5860626&sr=8-1

I was just reading about This Is England 86. Gonna have to add that to the collection.

You can pre-order it from Amazon UK right now. It's pretty hassle free if you have an Amazon account all ready. It's being released very quickly as the series just ended.

4. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

I wonder how long 'till '86 makes it to US cable TV?

5. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

You don't have to wait if you have an internet connection.

6. JustinW

You don't have to wait if you have an internet connection.

Do tell!

7. kmarriner

kmarriner Active Member

this might be of interest... so a fellow on another forum posted about the For Life 1460 8i boots in smooth oxblood. When the For Life boots came out there was only black and brown, but turns out they added dark oxblood now. Anyways, him being a connosseur (sic) and having a long history of owning various DMs and Solovair, he was really impressed with the new For Life boot (even tho it is made in Thailand). Everything about the boot is a step up from the normal and even MiE Dms. Higher quality materials, proper double faced eyelets, thicker leather, more supple leather etc. He compared this new color to an old pair of really vintage DMs and the color match is nearly identical. Looked good so I took a punt since I've always been after the "correct" DMs, knowing that the ones I had in the 80s were not the actual authentic oxblood color of the 60s boots. Turns out these are very close and a much nicer shade of oxblood than the MiE. For $150 you get a boot that will be fixed or replaced for as long as you own them. And they look awesome. This is the boot that DM should be making as standard, not as a special higher end product. IMG]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4285/forlifedm.jpg[/IMG]
    What do you use to take care of your oxbloods? I am going to buy a pair soon and can't figure out if I should just go with a dressing/protector (such as Montana Blend or Obenauf's) or a polish; Or should I use both at different times?

8. Steve Thomas

What do you use to take care of your oxbloods?
    I am going to buy a pair soon and can't figure out if I should just go with a dressing/protector (such as Montana Blend or Obenauf's) or a polish; Or should I use both at different times?

I've been looking at those For Life ox bloods too. Wonder what the recommendations are.

My 20-year-old ox bloods have only ever been polished with Kiwi and very rarely I'd mink oil them.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

on my For Life's i've been doing the usual rotation of oxblood (I use Cherry Blossom, or Timpsons or Carr & Daily which all make great oxblood polish) and black (kiwi). I also threw into the rotation Trickers neutral, which really gave the boots an extra kick as far as deepening the leather and shine. The boots are kinda dull when new (as most DMs are), but after about a week and half of polishing nearly daily, they look great now, as far as getting that deep color and a proper shine.

10. Steve Thomas

An old trick my skinhead buddies used was to get a good thick layer of Kiwi (for some reason that was all we ever used...could be we could steal it from the local K-Mart...hey..I know...we were hoodlums) on the boots and then run a lighter over it. The thinking was it would melt. I have no idea if this really worked or not. I did it a few times. But mostly, lots and lots and lots of light layers of polish buffed off with a horse hair brush.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

^^ yes that general concept is correct. the thing that gets shoes to shine is thin layers of polish building up over time so in effect you're polishing polish, more or less

the lighter trick is crude, but it works, a more civilized way is to put on a thick coat of polish and use a hair dryer to dry it, then buff using water to moisten the polish (aka spit shine)

but I find just light layers repeatedly over time gets you an excellent shine as well

12. kmarriner

kmarriner Active Member

on my For Life's i've been doing the usual rotation of oxblood (I use Cherry Blossom, or Timpsons or Carr & Daily which all make great oxblood polish) and black (kiwi). I also threw into the rotation Trickers neutral, which really gave the boots an extra kick as far as deepening the leather and shine. The boots are kinda dull when new (as most DMs are), but after about a week and half of polishing nearly daily, they look great now, as far as getting that deep color and a proper shine.
    Thank you very much, so you aren't using a dressing at all? Also, I looked but I can not seem to find a place to buy any of those polishes online, any hints? Again, thank you for the help.

13. mcqueen

mcqueen Well-Known Member

I am watching the first 2 episodes tonight. Definitely looking forward to it.

14. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

Also, I looked but I can not seem to find a place to buy any of those polishes online, any hints?

If You're in the UK

I haven't run into Cherry Blossom or Timpson here in the states, but I'm sure someone's bringing it in. I'm a kiwi guy, myself, although right now I just use Angelus black on my oxbloods.

15. JustinW

but I find just light layers repeatedly over time gets you an excellent shine as well

^

This.

You can warm the polish (lighter or candle under the tin) to make application a little easier and also dipping your polishing rag into water to lubricate helps (I will never get over hearing my Regimental Sergeant Major respond to a question about spit polishing by saying that "gentlemen do NOT spit!).

16. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Do tell!
    Step #1: Google, "This is england 86 s01e01" Step #2: Paypal me.

17. JustinW

Step #1: Google, "This is england 86 s01e01"
    Step #2: Paypal me.

[​IMG]

18. Howell31

Howell31 Well-Known Member

Hi fellas, I'm throwin out a couple of questions. Any help is appreciated. I'd like to buy my first pair of Docs in the near future. I'm thinking 10 eyelet. Is there a difference in quality between the "for life" and the regular, or is it just that the former will be replaced? What's so special about Opening Ceremony's collaboration with Docs? Lastly, has anyone seen the 10 eyes in the soft leather "mirage" style? What are your thoughts? http://drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=13631001 Cheers

19. kmarriner

kmarriner Active Member

If You're in the UK

I haven't run into Cherry Blossom or Timpson here in the states, but I'm sure someone's bringing it in. I'm a kiwi guy, myself, although right now I just use Angelus black on my oxbloods.

Yeah, I am in the states haha.

Do you have any opinion on the Angelus oxblood polish? I found that online.

20. Steve Thomas

the lighter trick is crude, but it works, a more civilized way is to put on a thick coat of polish and use a hair dryer to dry it, then buff using water to moisten the polish (aka spit shine)

Haha. None of us had hair driers...hell...most of us didn't have hair. I had enough hair to warrant a hair drier but never owned one.

We would spit shine with a bit of water and a cotton ball. Haven't spit shined my DMs in a while. Makes me wanna sit down in front of the TV, throw on Suburbia http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086589/, eat some Dunken Donuts (hey...don't laugh...in high school one of our friends worked at DD and there were always several dozen donuts sitting around at the skinhead house), and have a polishing party.