• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bob the Badger

Reaction score

Good purchase Ed. I like the shape of the Clarks. The Loakes have a deeper and better brogue hole punch in IMO but the leather of the Clarks looks good. The ones I saw were made in Vietnam, as are the Desert boots. If you can turn them into a true burgundy they will be even better.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good purchase Ed. I like the shape of the Clarks. The Loakes have a deeper and better brogue hole punch in IMO but the leather of the Clarks looks good. The ones I saw were made in Vietnam, as are the Desert boots. If you can turn them into a true burgundy they will be even better.
I went and had a look in Clarks at these,I liked the tan ones,they seem well stitched and I think they could be made in England I couldn't find any markings at all on the ones I saw .
I wonder if an English company made these for Clarks and they don't want it known as even at full price the Clarks are so much cheaper than any made in England brogue I have seen.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
I went and had a look in Clarks at these,I liked the tan ones,they seem well stitched and I think they could be made in England I couldn't find any markings at all on the ones I saw .
I wonder if an English company made these for Clarks and they don't want it known as even at full price the Clarks are so much cheaper than any made in England brogue I have seen.
If they are made in England then they are a real bargain.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are made in England then they are a real bargain.
Absolutely,but I also noticed something strange ( well I think so) if you look on Clarks website at the back view of the 2 coloured shoe it is different to the back view of Eds shoes,the ones on Clarks site have a vertical seem where Eds have a seperate vertical leather piece stitched either side for strength.
The tan shoes that I saw in Clarks were the same as Eds,so maybe there were 2 separate lots made in different places ?.
I am no expert on shoes but I can usually tell made in India Loakes from made in England by the stitching on the soles,the made in India stitching isn't so even ( IMO ).

Last edited:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Absolutely,but I also noticed something strange ( well I think so) if you look on Clarks website at the back view of the 2 coloured shoe it is different to the back view of Eds shoes,the ones on Clarks site have a vertical seem where Eds have a seperate vertical leather piece stitched either side for strength.
The tan shoes that I saw in Clarks were the same as Eds,so maybe there were 2 separate lots made in different places ?.
I am no expert on shoes but I can usually tell made in India Loakes from made in England by the stitching on the soles,the made in India stitching isn't so even ( IMO ).
Well spotted. The ones I saw had a vertical seam.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Yes,I have lost a few Mates.One was a great one Micky Blackwell - you are still remembered Mate.R.I.P.
my mate, Den.

This was around 1970-71 - he was 16/17.

Passed away, too young, six years ago - we'd sort of 'fallen out' for nearly 25 years, but I still miss him.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Good pic Ed. Happy days. I guess we all mourn some close friends.
Den's girlfriend looks good, under her face tatoo
biggrin.gif
!

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't aware that Loakes were using India for manufacture . I had the thought that on the box (or somewhere , when you bought them) is said something like , "0nly ever made in Northamptonshire England . .

I currently own 4 pairs of Loake , as far as I know they were all made in Englandshire. .

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Loakes were using India for manufacture . I had the thought that on the box (or somewhere , when you bought them) is said something like , "0nly ever made in Northamptonshire England . .

I currently own 4 pairs of Loake , as far as I know they were all made in Englandshire. .
Only Loake 1880 are definitely made in England...some shoes are cut in India and put together here some are produced entirely in India this has been happening for some years apparently,I think that Barkers and Grensons do the same..

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Good pic Ed. Happy days. I guess we all mourn some close friends.
Den's girlfriend looks good, under her face tatoo :D !
She is still around - and I nicked that pic.

He had a lovely wife - for years - after her - which is why I tried to I tried to hide the earlier burd! :nodding:

Thanks folks - I really loved him and we' d get each other out of the 'Shovel' on bail at weekends. :satisfied:

elwood

Reaction score
Been looking for a cardigan of the proper style for some time. Seems to be as hard to find as a white or stone mac these days.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of a cardigan in a Levi's store while passing by and didn't have time to go in and haven't been by it since. Looking on the interweb, it seems to be this one:

http://www.mrporter.com/mens/Designers/Levis_Vintage_Clothing

(Hope the link works)

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts or comments? Seemed maybe a bit too ribbed to me but the buttons looked right. BTW don't take too much notice of the Mr. Porter price; it's available elsewhere for just about half what they're quoting.

Happy Christmas to all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads