• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
When you see kids dancing in a club in late 60s, I wonder what they were REALLY dancing to? especially in the earlier days of skinhead/hard mod pre-69, wouldnt the music have been mostly soul/motown?
I'll give you two years, two places, two themes: 67/8, Blackpool Mecca, almost exclusively Motown and Stax. 68/9, Catford Savoy Rooms, commercial Motown and Reggae. Both of these are generalisations, but give you an idea. Up North kids followed the mod traditions more. In London there was always a greater influence from the British West Indian population.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the BBC did the documentary about us in 69, They paid for a reggae band to play live, cant remember the band now, So when you see that little part on UTube, its just a soundtrack that someone put on.

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Another question for the originals - What about being able to dance ? Heard that no matter how good you looked, it was dancing that pulled the opposite sex. Even the 'proper chaps' had to get on the dance floor if they wanted to impress girls. How true was that in your neck of the woods?

You just know the Northern Perspective is coming don't you? Have to say, though, lads being able to dance well was a big thing up here. Soul was very much a part of Skinhead in the North and being able to dance well was always seen as cool in that scene.

harrysgame

Reaction score
The link on youtube is from a fella in the states. With all due respect to our American friends what would they know about the early scene in the UK. You would be better to get your heads together yourselves. At least it would be done correctly and be factual. Not what has been gleamed from the internet.
Reading their website it seems they are looking at worldwide and don't have any paticular period in mind.

Come on guys you were there in the 60s and early 70s. It needs to be documented. Chris Brown has experience of books. Im sure he would help get it off the ground.

bunty

Reaction score
Got some old photos that some of you might be interested in...late 60s mods evolving into skinheads - they are all dated on the back Sorry about the sizing!

mods012-1-1.jpg

Butlins, Skegness August '67

mods013.jpg

Butlins, Skegness August '67

mods014.jpg

Butlins, Filey July '68

mods007.jpg

Butlin, Filey '68

mods005.jpg

March '69

mods006.jpg

River Thames '70

mods003.jpg

August '70

Got loads more - but it took me all bleeding night to load these few on!! Will post some more soon.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Nice pics Bunty, particularly the last one with the green/grey (?) whistle!
cool.gif

What trainers/plimsolls are those in the 2nd pic?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice photos indeed, Buntmeister. May I ask who the young woman is in the photo from March '69?

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I'll give you two years, two places, two themes:

67/8, Blackpool Mecca, almost exclusively Motown and Stax.

68/9, Catford Savoy Rooms, commercial Motown and Reggae.

Both of these are generalisations, but give you an idea. Up North kids followed the mod traditions more. In London there was always a greater influence from the British West Indian population.

It depended on venues. Top Rank Watford was top 20 with emphasis on soul, motown and occasional reggae. Smaller venues would play exclusively soul, reggae motown.

I suspect a lot of places had a strict middle-of-the-road music policy to deter trouble.

Hammersmith Palais still had Ray McVay and his bleedin' orchestra into the 1970s; but you only went there because it was free on Sunday nights - 'international au pair night' is how they used to market it if I remember correctly.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yes great photos! Really like the bottom 4 especially.

do you know what shirt is being worn in the 1970 River Thames shot?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yes great photos! Really like the bottom 4 especially. do you know what shirt is being worn in the 1970 River Thames shot?
It would be a Jaytex or Brutus, its the stupid V on the sleeves with the buttons each side thats the giveaway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads