1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Yes it's an absolute horror i agree.
    Everytime i eat a steak now, i do a little prayer before for the soul of the poor animal. I've got to do the same thing for vegetables.

2. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Well-Known Member

Plants don't have a nervous system, which means they can't feel pain. Because of this they adapted and evolved to be immobile.

1 person likes this.
  3. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Well-Known Member

Are we not going a bit off topic now? after all this thread is for discussion about the style/subculture, not discussing the ethics of food consumption, there is a reason why no politics is an unwritten rule somewhat on here too.

2 people like this.
  4. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

A bit really ? and just now ?
    You must be kidding [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Donkey Jacket

i was a bit off the mark there i must admit, better late then never tho i guess.

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Donkey Jacket

My name is not Dave its Rodney!.

As for brooks brothers, i do rather like them, they have rather nice collars, the one i have has no back button or hanger and and an open pleat but still, im not devastated considering the price i paid for it, and it has a nice american fit, they are a no brainer if you see them in charity shops for cheap in vintage shops.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    2 people like this.
  8. LeviStubbsTears

LeviStubbsTears Active Member

Was there any connection/overlap between your crew and the soul band from Santa Cruz The Inciters?

9. Botolph

Quote:Ha!

Nought wrong with Brooks-- most of their shirts don't have the back collar button these days, and haven't for a long time. As for the back pleat being open, it's there to move with you-- so an open pleat is functional. You seem to be a pretty slim fellow so that probably ain't a problem for you, but with the couple Mikkel Rude and the one Brutus shirt I own, I use a seam ripper and make so the back pleat is at least partially functional.
    If you're browsing Brooks Brothers, check out their "Red Fleece" collection. They're about $60 USD/£50 right now on the site but I'm sure you can find some on eBay, etc., for cheaper. They're *slightly* slimmer cut(still bag out a little bit, "American cut", not slim waisted or darted), straight hem, have the back collar button and locker loop. More of a two-button collar, but a decent roll.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/de...lt/Search-Show?q=Red fleece oxford buttondown
    Here's a Red Fleece I was wearing today. Pretty robust oxford cloth. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Well-Known Member

I second the Red Fleece recommendation. I found one in a thrift a few months ago in a green university stripe pattern. It fit very well and has become a regular in my rotation.

1 person likes this.
  11. Donkey Jacket

that is a nice shirt, but 3 finger collars is not something i can do without, it just adds so much more to a shirt imo, in would rather have none of the back details as long as its a 3 finger, any larger tends to go into harry hill territory, tho imo.

there is also a brand called BD baggies, although they are open pleat and and more regular fitting.

[​IMG]
    There is also a brand called getup, although i have never heard of these, still nice stripes.

[​IMG]

12. Botolph

From what I've seen of BD baggies, their collars aren't much more than two-finger. Get up have some nice collars but they are prohibitively skinny fitting.

13. AngryYoungPoor

If you don't mind spending a few extra quid the Gitman Bros Vintage shirts are very nice IMO. THey have the 3 finger collar and back collar button. There is always Gant as well. I picked up a Gant "Yale Co Op" addition over the summer and it has all of the details. Box pleat, locker loop. 3 button collar. You should be able to find those on the bay for not too much money. The only downside is that they are made in China if that is an issue. Ben Sherman has a lot to answer for haha! They've ensured that every Skinhead needs all of those (their) details to be "right". There are plenty of options for great quality shirts that fall within the parameters of The Look.

1 person likes this.
  14. Donkey Jacket

https://www.adaptorclothing.com/pro...ade-in-italy-ls-oxford-button-down-shirt.html

From what ive read on this, it has 3 finger collar etc, tho sometimes descriptions can be incorrect, perhaps they also do a more modern range.

ive seen gant shirts plenty of times, and they are nice, the only thing what puts me off them is visible logos on the outside of the shirt.

looked at the gitman shirts before, they are nice but perhaps a bit too expensive for me brand new, but second hand is always an option.

15. Botolph

Well Ben Sherman were just biting Brooks Bros' details anyways.
    Gotta say, the Gitman Vintage collars are the same or smaller than the Brooks Red Fleece collars. I celebrate both products!

16. Botolph

Gant has different ranges, and a few of them have no logos on them aside from a tonal "G" in a discreet spot on or newr the sleeve cuff . [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. AngryYoungPoor

I own a few Gitman shirts and all of them are a solid 3 finger collar. I'm sure that they have a few different cuts though. I guess I just got lucky haha [​IMG]
    My red fleece number is about 2 1/2 fingers but the fit is so nice I can live with it.
    Agreed about BS, but I wouldn't wipe my arse with one at this point. Those things disintegrate after 2 washes.

1 person likes this.
  18. Botolph

Yeah BS are definitely pretty "BS" these days.
    Your Gitmans with the 3-finger collars might be straight-up old school Gitman, or a special range.

19. AngryYoungPoor

Or maybe I just have thin fingers [​IMG]

I worked for BS for 8 years and do not own a single piece other than a pair of chino shorts. I got promoted to "Regional Product Knowledge Trainer" and tried (in vain) to get them to used nicer fabrics.. they obviously did not value my opinion hahaha.

1 person likes this.
  20. Botolph

I realize how sad this is but I'm drawing my son's bath water and have time to kill.

Striped shirt is a Red Fleece and gridded one is a Gitman Vintage. Same exact collar size. However the BB's placket at the top button is rounded, which I prefer, whereas the GV's is 90°

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.