1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

Great pic and a great look . Those that are ITK would spot you a mile off the straight goers wouldnt bat a eye lid .

3 people like this.
  2. Sean Carlson

Sean Carlson Well-Known Member

DJ,

By far this is what you'll see more than anything else and growing up in San Francisco and being in the California scene more than not it was both SHARPs and nazis that fell under this description. We had a mod revivalist scene and a small contingent of Trojan skins in the mid 80s. We were continually insulted and called "fashion skins" until we stood our ground.

I had gotten a decent suit I found at a thrift shop tailored and was confronted by some knuckledragger calling me a fashion skin. My suit didn't make it but his opinion of us was changed.

I ran with the Santa Cruz Centurians and we were very much into the style... We listened to some Oi but mostly it was soul and reggae

My old crew mate John Dilks...
    [​IMG]

A picture of the Centurians in Skinhead Times...
    [​IMG]

A group of us in 91... Me in the front with the crombie
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  3. Sean Carlson

Sean Carlson Well-Known Member

Fly...

That's really important to understand and where a lot of the younger generation do not get it. They think that the only way to have the look is to have the iconic crop, levis, braces, and boots but the style was different in every local with various themes with hair being of varying lengths. As you say those in the know would see a subtle thing of being sussed and know that you're in it. That's a dying breed as no one appreciates the ivy league look that influenced the original fashion anymore.

4. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Well-Known Member

I was in my favorite GoodWill yesterday and came across a treasure! This is a new with tags Brooks Brothers Makers shirt. I did a bit of research and this dates back to the late 60's - early 70s. It even had the cardboard in the collar! Check out the tag, no barcode and it cost a whopping $12 (marked down from $16! Haha). Full four finger collar, beautifully unlined. The best part? It fits me like it was custom made. I can't believe that this has been sitting somewhere unused for almost 1/2 of a century, it belongs in a museum haha. I thought long and hard about whether I should wear it and I feel like I was meant to find this thing (told you guys I was turning into a hippie) and I'd be doing a great disservice to it if I didn't wear it with pride.
    The sad part is that I don't know a single living person who appreciates how special this shirt is. I showed it to my wife and she replied "oh cool, another old blue shirt" haha!
    I thought i would share it with you fellas as you would probably understand my excitement.

Oh and it set me back $5.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

What a score. Unbelievable.

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Yeah fella, that's quite a score!

7. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas, I'm super chuffed!

Did you get a chance to pop in there when you were in town Botolph?

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

I applaud your principles, but the 'maladroit' would soon find themselves dismissed from employment at the average abattoir.

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

My daughter, who is vegan, went out two nights ago head-to-toe in faux leather. Boots, skin-tight jeans, biker-style jacket. She looked absolutely stunning. The technology of imitation leather has developed amazingly.

3 people like this.
  10. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

[​IMG] This bloke loves faux leather too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is girl skin veggie ?

3 people like this.
  11. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Well-Known Member

Thats the exact same attitude i have experienced, i didn't really take them seriously whatsoever. Its nice to know there is people keeping the style alive state side.

Thanks for the compliments as well guys and gals.

1 person likes this.
  12. northernsean

northernsean Member

As we in the North East of England would say " You jammy git !"
    That's a stunning find , and at that price the bargain of the century , well done fella :D

6 people like this.
  13. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Nah, I wish. Was quite a fiasco there. Plus we had a lot of clerical work to do and then left immediately. Oh well. Next time!!!

14. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Well-Known Member

I look forward to the day that happens.

15. Ivyskin89

I have a skinhead friend from Oregon who is literally the toughest dude I know. He used to wear a tonic suit every weekend. But he loved to fight. He would get in a fight at least twice a week. Eventually he kind of gave up on wearing nice stuff because he would always ruin it from fighting.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    2 people like this.
  16. Man-of-Mystery

You think I'm joking?

17. Ivyskin89

No. I'm not either. I hope all slaughterhouses are shut down.

2 people like this.
  18. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty disgusting the way we treat root vegetables, which are also living things.
    How you you like to get boiled alive?[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. stilts121

stilts121 Active Member

There was a group of us in DC (BSSC) who were also derided as "fashion skins" by some of the other local mobs. Santa Cruz's Chuck Russo (who I can definitely make out in the Skinhead Times pic) was a mate of mine back in those days (mid 90s) after he moved to the DC area. Small world.

2 people like this.
  20. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

I think you should change your pseudo for Veggyskin89 [​IMG]

2 people like this.