1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Brideshead

Brideshead Well-Known Member

Regrets. I mentioned Gibsons above and the other great regret for me was not having a sheepskin at the time.

What did you other Orginals go without - either for financial reasons or just because you didn't do it in time?

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

What did you other Orginals go without - either for financial reasons or just because you didn't do it in time?

A made-to-measure Tonik suit.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

I have a couple of pairs of Gibson, I will post a pic when I get home.

4. Brideshead

I have a couple of pairs of Gibson, I will post a pic when I get home.

Great! Roy, do you know of anything similar today?

5. albion

albion Well-Known Member

6. Lasttye

Great! Roy, do you know of anything similar today?

Yes John, They are made by Allan Edmonds USA
    They are identical to the Royal I had in 70. Loake. also do them, which are ok.

7. Brideshead

8. Man-of-Mystery

Thanks Albion. This is the kind of thing I recall when I say 'gibson' but Roy's pics will remind me!

http://www.brogueshoes.co.uk/info_1_LK_WESB_DK.html

I had a pair like that, but the 'apron' (for want of a better word) came closer to the toe - almost as though a penny loafer had been turned into a lace-up.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

when you guys say "Gibsons", they are commonly known as split toe Norwegians nowadays and Roy is right, Allen Edmonds do a good pair, very good quality and price for what you are getting. a quick google image search of the shoe, called the Ashton [​IMG]

10. Brideshead

when you guys say "Gibsons", they are commonly known as split toe Norwegians nowadays

and Roy is right, Allen Edmonds do a good pair, very good quality and price for what you are getting.

a quick google image search of the shoe
    [​IMG]

Yes, of course they are! I think it's another of those English English v. US English things if you see what I mean....

I recall the stitching being closer to the toe as MoM says.

Roy has now sent me a pic of his new ones. Where do you get AE in the UK, guys?

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

^^ I changed the pic, since the original one I used (in your link John) is actually by Alden. same style of shoe, but reposted the pic using an accurate image of the Allen Edmonds

i'm curious too, if AE is avail in UK, are the prices comparable to US or did they just switch the dollar sign for a pound? They retail around $320-350 stateside for most pairs (cordovan more expensive of course)

12. Brideshead

^^ I changed the pic, since the original one I used (in your link John) is actually by Alden. same style of shoe, but reposted the pic using an accurate image of the Allen Edmonds

i'm curious too, if AE is avail in UK, are the prices comparable to US or did they just switch the dollar sign for a pound? They retail around $320-350 stateside for most pairs (cordovan more expensive of course)

My Kenwoods (posted pic here yesterday) were from JS a few years back and cost around £180. I don't think John carries many AE lines now.

These Paraboots are another option I suppose but too expensive at £290.

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/paraboot/products/2244.php

13. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I had a pair like that, but the 'apron' (for want of a better word) came closer to the toe - almost as though a penny loafer had been turned into a lace-up.
    You are right M-o-M,the Apron did come up more towards the Toe-on the Royal Gibson.The ones that are being shown here,I bought in the 80s,were called French Gibsons(most French Businessmen wore them,when they came through London City Docks).
    There is a Loake Loafer(the Soho)that has a similiar "Apron" to the original Gibsons.I like these very much.

14. Lasttye

I bought my Allan Edmonds via Amazon USA Saved me $70. The ones i got are as near as the Original Royal Gibson, They are called A E Walton, which are leather soled, The A E Ashton and Paraboot are Rubber soled. MoM mentioned the Apron.. front bit, I would say every shoe maker will be a slight difference. After paying Import VAT cost me £295. For some reason they come only in Black and Chilli brown, Loake do the same in the same colours, no Ox Blood, cant remember if the Royal Gibson came in Ox blood, i also had Black back then. Just to add Allen Edmonds are not available in UK. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Lasttye

These are a pair of Loake that i have had for some Years, the only Loake I have ever bought, got to say they are well comfortable . [​IMG]

16. browniecj

I bought my Allan Edmonds via Amazon USA Saved me $70. The ones i got are as near as the Original Royal Gibson, They are called A E Walton, which are leather soled, The A E Ashton and Paraboot are Rubber soled. MoM mentioned the Apron.. front bit, I would say every shoe maker will be a slight difference.
    After paying Import VAT cost me £295.
    For some reason they come only in Black and Chilli brown, Loake do the same in the same colours, no Ox Blood, cant remember if the Royal Gibson came in Ox blood, i also had Black back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe the Gibsons only came in Black-I only saw Black being worn.

17. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

I know the split toed gibson had been around in America for years by then, but for the originals, when did you see Gibsons being worn by the young english (what would become) skinheads?
    I'm assuming different times in different areas as with many things.

18. Man-of-Mystery

I know the split toed gibson had been around in America for years by then, but for the originals, when did you see Gibsons being worn by the young english (what would become) skinheads?
    I'm assuming different times in different areas as with many things.

I bought my first pair (brown) in late 1967 / early '68 in Blackpool.

19. browniecj

I bought my first pair (brown) in late 1967 / early '68 in Blackpool.
    Were they Royals,M-o-M

20. Lasttye

For me it was 70, I did not notice them before that,
    Got mine from the Squire shop, They was a alternative to Brouges and Plain caps.
    Again classic footwear, adopted by Skinheads