1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Newton heath

Newton heath Well-Known Member

im afraid that the parts of Manchester I frequent, it's not just dead ,it's extinct,

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

I think in London its just different to how it used to be - in the late 60s - 80's you wore Fred perry / lacoste / RL polos to be different - other lads would know you was ITK just by a designer polo shirt and a pair of the right trainers .. nowdays EVERY other male between 12 and 60 wear 'designer ' / 'heritage ' clobber and you would not have a scobbie about wether they even understand that ethos or even realise there was once a ethos . London has also got very middle class my lad who's 20 talks in a middle class london accent wears polo shirts but doesnt care what make ... its all changed .

2 people like this.
  3. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that it's mix & match in London today. Not scruffy, but with with an emphasis on 'street'. As an aside, Harrington jackets were trendy with hipsters a year ago or so. Then they moved on to other things, and young black girls in parts of north London adopted them as part of their street style, along with black and olive MA-1 copies. It looked good, and I thought, 'excellent - give the Harrington back to working class kids'.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

I think Flyfronteds right in that yoof would rather blend in than stand out these days.
    Any obsessiveness seems to be restricted to trainers; I've got nephews with armies of them.
    A lot of Hoxton clubs stipulate that trainers have to be box-fresh, combined with the bling bling ethos of only wearing a pair once....
    I was wondering, will there ever be a time when shoes replace trainers as the footwear of choice amongst young, black, urban males?
    Trainers have ruled the roost in London for over 35 years now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bela Kun

These were posted by an original on FB last week. Not sure if we had them before? They were taken in Bedfordshire/Northamptonshire.

1968 or 1969. Note the fairisle tanktop:

[​IMG]

1969 or 1970

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

My feet are fucked by wearing trainers 90% of the time since id say 1980 . I have had a pair of Trickers with a double leather sole that must be getting on for 20 years old now and look brand new - every winter i stick em back on and 2 days later they are back in the cupboard . Think i paid £120 for them which shows you how old they are ... Red wing Moc Toes i can just about get through a day in probably because of the support ... ' The Obsessives ' seem to be mainly 40 plus blokes into jap denim and US old school workwear .. spot em a mile off - the kids aint arsed - its all about todays fashion and throw it away tomorrow .

1 person likes this.
  7. TomMc666

TomMc666 Well-Known Member

8. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Picked this up yesterday.
    Reversible

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. Ivyskin89

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Ivyskin89

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Ivyskin89

12. Ivyskin89

13. Ivyskin89

Lee-Prest pm me if interested.

14. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff. I remember some fun and games between Paris Skins and England fans, before during and after a fixture at Parc de Prince- 1984 I think?

To confuse matters, a fair few of the England mob- who were 90 per cent casuals, were wearing berets- no doubt as a pisstake.
    Id like to say they also were wading with Breton stripey shirts, and a string of onions draped over their shoulders, but that would just be silly.....

2 people like this.
  15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Looking back through the thread and (now) trying to assemble material into book form, I have been struck by something that I had forgotten but that really stands out. It's how in London we used to refer to mobs by the definite article and the place name, and that's it - 'The Kilburn', for example.

That's where they got "We're the Weetabix" from. :D

3 people like this.
  16. Bela Kun

I think that tradition persisted into the revival era. I can remember Tom Mc666 citing 'The Beacontree' and 'The Archway' in reference to 1977 mobs. Maybe just a London thing, though?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Around my way people liked to say 'We're in wit the Sarfend (Southend)'. Even though that was just wishful thinking, as the Southend crew were very exclusive.

Most major towns in south Essex had a crew of some sort but the Southend crew were perceived as well 'ard by others.

1 person likes this.
  18. Man-of-Mystery

Continuing to collate the book.

I have found in my notes contributions from the following, who seem to have been around 'back in the day'. I need confirmation from them that they were, and details of their names. I'm posting this appeal here, but will also send PMs (with the proviso that I'm STILL not getting alerts!):

Circustavern777 (Alan? Would have been about 14 in 1969, which is okay.)

Pressure Drop (Chris?)

Gringo.

19. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

Pressure Drop is Chris Brown.(author of 'Booted & Suited) He has his own facebook site.

1 person likes this.
  20. Man-of-Mystery

That rings a bell. Thanks Bryan.