• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

craig matthew

Reaction score

Craigmatthew, how's the fit on these? Do you happen to know the hem measurement? I'm not toothpick-shaped enough for Warrior staprest and these MRude's look a little more 'forgiving'. I'm happy with the Brooks Brothers Clark lightweight chinoswhich are 100% cotton... but the poly/cotton blend of the M Rude's would likely hold a crease better.

Stuart's London said the waist is true to size but I am getting mine taking in a bit as they were a bit big for me,good around the thigh too and a standard leg length of 34 will post up a few pics once I get them back from the tailors

yankmod

Reaction score
Just googled the photo and found this http://www.leatherhistory.eu/?p=6150 and says 1972 from a gay magazine and 'identifies' one of them in a further book.

On the point of skinhead style dying out in London, not the case in my experience. Knew, from 72-75, a couple of skinheads - Binnsy and Terry Madden, at school, and there were others, but very low numbers!. During the Kings Road fights against the Teds, starting in 76, a few skinhead were there - on both sides - and then into 77, an increase in numbers around Sham.
Nice One.Now we Know.I still don't believe there were Gay skins in the early days.I think its a case of the Gays being into Macho Dudes.I'm thinking of creating a new "Village People" and there will def be a Skinhead in the bunch(and a Chav as well)
wink.gif

Inks

Reaction score

Here is a Pic of the same guys from behind.Can't see if they got red tab Levis or orange tab.In the 60's the orange tab were the skinny jeans of the time.As we have read here orange tab was not Skinhead style.Posted it hoping someone on the thread can figure out what jeans they are wearing.
There's nothing dodgy going on in that photo. They're just changing trousers for the photoshoot. I've seen the next photo in this sequence, and their jeans different. They're all bleach spattered.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice One.Now we Know.I still don't believe there were Gay skins in the early days.I think its a case of the Gays being into Macho Dudes.I'm thinking of creating a new "Village People" and there will def be a Skinhead in the bunch(and a Chav as well);)

Their was no outwardly Gay skinheads in the late 60s, and as people know Gays was not tolerated back then especially with the white and black working classes, also as people are aware some skinheads would go queer bashing....which was deplorable...without going over old ground ..Britain was a very different place back then.

I have not a clue the dates of the above photos ..but one thing they are not from the period 68 to 70..or pushing it 71.....regarding skinheads in the early 70s..72 to say 75...I was still active in the Kilburn mob, going to football, discos etc .....now if their was still skinheads in numbers around 72/75 in London..i would have seen them....and if their was they would have been laughed at as backward..remember skinheads was a fashion.

I am only going on what i saw and lived through at that time, other people may have a different opinion which is fair enough.

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
Their was no outwardly Gay skinheads in the late 60s, and as people know Gays was not tolerated back then especially with the white and black working classes, also as people are aware some skinheads would go queer bashing....which was deplorable...without going over old ground ..Britain was a very different place back then.

I have not a clue the dates of the above photos ..but one thing they are not from the period 68 to 70..or pushing it 71.....regarding skinheads in the early 70s..72 to say 75...I was still active in the Kilburn mob, going to football, discos etc .....now if their was still skinheads in numbers around 72/75 in London..i would have seen them....and if their was they would have been laughed at as backward..remember skinheads was a fashion.

I am only going on what i saw and lived through at that time, other people may have a different opinion which is fair enough.
It's hard to imagine given the attitude at the time and the fact that the majority of original Skins were young kids who even if they were Gay would not have acknowledged it even in there own minds.

Gramps

Reaction score
I know exactly what you're saying Roy.

Purely from the clothes and nothing else, I always had the pictures down as Early 70's.

Behind the times? yes. Gay? looks like it.

We don't really know if its London either way, just as a Northerner, I thought it was South. Could even be Brighton (as there is a Queens Road in Brighton......... Or more than one ;))

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I just saw Toms comments, The photos was in a Gay Magazine in 72? ...Hilarious maybe it was their revenge for having a hard time from the skinheads,:D

Yankmod spot on mate we was so young and naive, Gays...or Queers as they was referred to back then ...we was scared of them....,:D it seems crazy now..but thats the way it was......

flyfronted

Reaction score
Sorry I just saw Toms comments, The photos was in a Gay Magazine in 72? ...Hilarious maybe it was their revenge for having a hard time from the skinheads,
biggrin.gif

Yankmod spot on mate we was so young and naive, Gays...or Queers as they was referred to back then ...we was scared of them....,
biggrin.gif
it seems crazy now..but thats the way it was......
I remember some really smart Queer skinheads around soho in the early 80s - much older lads , all the smutter very sharp .

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This faded pic is of a mate of mine Bill O'Mahony R.I.P,[ centre of photo] a Kilburn and Chelsea Shed Legend, The pic was sent to me via FB by his brother Larry.
Bill is also in the Kilburn ..Phoenix Club clip that i have posted on here.

The pic is from a family holiday at Bognor...not sure of the date.. the lads around him are just lads he meet on the holiday. Just to add Larry has told me the photo was taken July/Aug 1967.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
One for Roy... He'll ken this - Scary bassa!

Was out tonight wiv some dodgy characters! :happy:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just googled the photo and found this http://www.leatherhistory.eu/?p=6150 and says 1972 from a gay magazine and 'identifies' one of them in a further book. 

On the point of skinhead style dying out in London, not the case in my experience. Knew, from 72-75, a couple of skinheads - Binnsy and Terry Madden, at school, and there were others, but very low numbers!. During the Kings Road fights against the Teds, starting in 76, a few skinhead were there - on both sides - and then into 77, an increase in numbers around Sham. 

I've said this before, and I'll say it again - not to to say you're not right - I can only go by what I saw. Between 71 and 75 (when I left London) the look was non-existent in S E London, as far as I could see. I went to football matches all over London. My girlfriend and I went all over London by bus and underground, up West or out through the suburbs to the finger of London to the country (we had the 'London Transport Book of Country Walks') and didn't see a single one...

Case solved. Thanks Tom. And it's very interesting to know for sure that there were still skinheads in London in the early/mid seventies... 

... I suppose, as with every fashion, there are a few people who retain something of a recognisable style once it has faded. In the early 70s there were blokes in their 40s with slicked-back hair, who must have been teds when they were younger. I think that is a totally different phenomenon. Also, when thinking about the middle and later 70s, we have to remember that some kids imported skinhead elements into punk from early on. I can remember a pic of a punk band with one young bloke wearing a Harrington (over a T-shirt) and dockers (jungle greens) - I wish I could find that pic.

Something else too remember is that in 69 there was still a musical genre of Reggae which skinheads danced to. In the early 70s Reggae changed its character completely and moved to Rastafarian lyrics, dub tracks, and 'toasting', so less relevance to skinheads and more into their own culture.

I think we need to be careful when we say 'there were still skinheads' or 'the look continued' or some such.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice One.Now we Know.I still don't believe there were Gay skins in the early days.I think its a case of the Gays being into Macho Dudes.I'm thinking of creating a new "Village People" and there will def be a Skinhead in the bunch(and a Chav as well);)

You've jogged my memory. When I was running Yell I was contacted by someone from a Gay magazine* and asked if I would be interviewed about the skinhead scene. The bloke dropped in at the IT offices to chat to me about it. I didn't end up doing the interview because I didn't see much point in it, but during the chat he told me that a number of gay blokes were into the look, and that he and his mates had been approached by young skins who were closet gay. Or that could have been wishful thinking on his part. People tend to big things up.

*It can't have been Gay News, because that didn't start until 1972.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy is dead right about the 'fashion' angle. That's what it was. Loads of kids jumped into it, and eighteen months down the line they're all wearing 'bee jumpers' and long hair!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads