1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Any idea when/where this one was from? I ask because I'm on record as saying I couldn't remember anyone wearing tattoos back then. I don't doubt there were many, but not round our way.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Well-Known Member

Their tattoos are Arsenal FC, so I would guess Holloway, Archway, Highbury... somewhere down there. Finsbury Park at most, everything further north is Spurs territory.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    3 people like this.
  3. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

That's why I posted it.It might be the only Original Pic with Tattoos.

1 person likes this.
  4. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

By all accounts Arsenal were the predominant skinhead football firm.
    Chelsea were according to fable, the first London club to go skin en masse, however Arsenal and West Ham had the edge on the rucking front, principally because they were older.
    Why West Ham and Arsenals skins, were older than their Chelsea counterparts, Im not sure; perhaps because Chelsea were seen as more glamorous in the late 60s, and therefore attracted more kids.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

6. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

On the Tatto subject, an old post by A&E, who was 16 years old in 1969 (if i remember well)

You remember perfectly Giles. Having tattoos at the time was very much our cultural thing. And over 45 years later I still have them. A little faded but they are my memories. Never affected my career as they can be covered up - no regrets

1 person likes this.
  7. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

Another good photo find Yankmod. There are some of these I have not seen before.

Every now and again I try a search for some original photos but generally seem to come up with what we have already seen before. You must have the Midas Touch !!

1 person likes this.
  8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

True. I hadn't seen about three-fifths of those photos before. Yankmod.
    Astute work, sir.

1 person likes this.
  9. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

Certainly not around my way either . I reckon it would have been the later half of the seventies before I saw a youngster whom , I knew had not been in the services, with a tattoo . Changed times now , with a significant amount of people having tattoos, including the ladies. Back in the day, the only time you'd see a female with a tattoo would be is she were a travelling type woman. .

10. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

I remember being at a wedding circa 69-70 and outside the church after the ceremony, the clergyman actually questioned a young lady about the suitability of her short skirt being worn in the house of God!! The lady in question was a bit perturbed . She was also rather busty which probably caught the clergyman's eye more than the skirt!

1 person likes this.
  11. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

My manor was also a tattoo free zone except for the simple saint or swift tattoo that some boys had when they started work at 16.We all rated ourselves and thought we were going places and that tattoos would hold us back. That's what our mums and dads told us anyway.

1 person likes this.
  12. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

An important philosophical point, at what point do you become a skinhead? For me, I had 6 hole DMs, harrington, Fred Perry, Levis around 1979/80 followed by donkey jacket and crombie around 1981/82. Only then did I get the crop followed by a green ma1 then an upgrade from 10 to 14 holers. Only from 1982 do I now class myself as a skinhead but I was already growing out of my crombie! Just seen a tv documentary made around my way in the early 80s that brought this all back - showing 'skinheads' from a time just before the emergence of the green ma1, 14 holers and short crop uniform look. Were we skinheads all that time?

1 person likes this.
  13. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

http://www.jewishmuseum.org.uk/menswear
    The Jewish contribution to Menswear for me was immense. My first monkey jacket Rumford market, Romford. First Ben Sherman Mintz, Romford. First DM's Blackmanns Brick Lane. First America shirt and Harrington, John Simons Squire shop. Mohair from a Jewish guy in Petticoat Lane and made into a suit by a local Jewish tailors. A crombie from Moss Bros and so on. What happened to that Jewish connection? Where did they all go?

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Israel ? [​IMG]
    Seriously, it was the same in Paris, there was a lot of jewish shops in the 70s where you could get Imported MIUSA Levi's, outerwear (MA-1, A2), shoes, etc that you couldn't find in other places. All these little shops disappeared.

15. covskin

...or maybe Edgware.

16. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

What happened? Uniqlo, H+M, etc., etc.

17. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Tattoo-free in my area too. I remember the Southend crew all had a small rose tattooed on one earlobe but don't recall seeing many conventional tattoo's anywhere back then.

I also relied on those good old Jewish shops like Mintz and Davies in Chelmsford and Romford. I got my first knitted tie, Solatios, 'Crombie', Levis, Ben Sherman from Mintz's.

There was another great Jewish father and son emporium in Chelmsford called Freeman's.

The guys on The Look Goes On like to meet up every 6 months or so. We last met in late November and are due to meet in the Summer. We could do something to coincide with the last days of the exhibition? PM if interested and I'll put something up on the other thread.

Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bela Kun

Where can we see the documentary?

19. covskin

1 person likes this.
  20. Bela Kun

1) Pop Boutique off Covent Garden has donkey jackets on sale for 20 quid (formerly 60). A controversial item, I know - but can you say no given the price? Good quality, too.

2) Fly fronted macs in 1968/69 - did they absolutely have to have this type of collar?

[​IMG]

Or was this collar shape (and similar) acceptable?

[​IMG]