1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Back in the day such questions didn't occur to us. It was simply what we wore. End of.

1 person likes this.
  2. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought that might be the case, just like there were no 'hard mods' at the time...

3. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Well-Known Member

The denim dog ear collar shirt is made of a 6oz hemp/ organic cotton blend. The hemp adds insulation and durability. The indigo dye gives the shirt more character with every wash and ironing. Plain back ,pewter buttons, and gussets. Comes in Small through XL.
    150 USD
    Made In USA
    Limited edition

[​IMG]

4. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a suit made for Xmas - but to be honest, I'm new to suits.

Now, I like the cut of classic skinhead suits, but not keen on tonic/two tone (it's ok for a pair of trousers, but there's something too flash/shiny about two tone suits for my liking). So it will be plain dark navy wool.

Can the originals help me out whether I'm getting the specifications right?

JACKET

3 buttons, single breasted
    slim notch lapel (is peak lapel an option?)
    curved bottom
    2 slanted pockets + hanky pocket + ticket pocket (I'm aware there were 'ticket pocket competitions', but I'd rather leave it at just one)
    4+ sleeve buttons
    centre vent
    waisted
    I'll probably ask for dark red/burgundy lining.

TROUSERS

flat front/no pleats
    slanted side pockets
    1 back pocket on the right (as in Sta-Prest trousers)? With flap or without?
    slim fit (as in mod style) rather than regular
    trousers ending at 'no break'
    Any belt loops? How many? What style?

Anything else?

I'm sure there were variations, but right now I'm interested in the most stereotypical, classic 1970 'skinhead suit' (except for the fabric). Do the above specifications sound about right?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

^ curved bottom='cutaway' front. You have not specified the shoulders - square or rounded basically - perhaps the most important feature together with the waist. Also no specification of the 'skirt' below the waist - flared or not. Can also have a slight flare at the jacket cuffs, or not. Jacket a bit longer or shorter? Also need to think of the height of the top button and the gorge (the notch between lapel and collar). No idea which of these might be 'skinhead', just something you need to think of. Just an inch different on any of this makes a big difference to how it looks. Proportion is everything, and that is before fitting everything to your anatomy.

1 person likes this.
  6. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

Take a look at www.thickasthievesla.com for MTM suits with Mod / skin details at a very reasonable price. Jason who used to post on here has good experience of the kind of look you're aiming at. I recently posted about a suit I got from them on my blog (see below).

7. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

I must say I like the 'house style' overlapping ticket pocket flap, would work well as a little nod to skinhead within something more mainstream.

8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

I have a suit from Thick As Thieves, which is very nice, but unfortunately my wife took my measurements about three days before Easter, and I'd given up alcohol for Lent-- so, since I do like my ale, I *STILL* can't wear the thing!!!!! [​IMG]
    Either way, very nice craftsmanship and sharp as hell. I opted for the 3-button, single vented, skinhead suit with MOP buttons in a nice petrol blue sharkskin(which didn't have too much of a "sheen" to it, just enough for it to be a 'fun' suit without it being too flash).

Very nice work, good little details, and an all-around alright guy.

9. Ivyskin89

This tartan button down is constructed out of herringbone twill cotton from Japan. Features a high roll collar with a 3rd button at the back to keep a tie in place and prevent the collar from drifting. A locker loop, full box pleat down the back and gussets to reinforce the seams affirms our devotion to a quality shirt. Limited supply in stock, available to order.
    Comes in Traditional and slim fit.
    100% Cotton
    Life time guarantee
    Made In USA
    Free international shipping
    Complimentary alterations
    150 USD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Man-of-Mystery

You might take a look at Adam of London for some suit ideas. They carry much more than straightforward skinhead suits, but the cut and detail looks good, and there is a chance to try something on. Nearest tube is Ladbroke Grove, I believe.

11. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Well-Known Member

Well, just caught up on 800 plus pages, I'm a quick reader, but that was rather exhausting!

Much to my dismay, I see redheads lampooned (une injustice flagrante) and my less than efficient transcribing skills being highlighted! Well, on the second point, I will concede a lack of progress (though not will). Mr. Mystery, please email me what you need me to do and I promise to get on with it (honest).

As for the squabbling, seems I can't leave you boys alone for a minute! However, the more irrelevant nonsense you talk the less work for me..............

Roytonboy had an excellent idea about asking specific questions for the book to fill in where we have a gap in knowledge or require a bit more material, perhaps when the gaps are identified this could breath a little life into the discussion?

I think that the fuller a picture we paint about the 'Mod to Suedehead' period the better: personally, I like the football crack, the clothes, the music, the attitude and don't think that any one element exists in isolation. Without the corresponding milieu, any examination will be superficial.

That's all for now, I'm off to pose at the bar......

To Monsieur l'Inspecteur, glad you're safe and well.

3 people like this.
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

who can tell the difference between this one...
    [​IMG]

....And that one from Uniqlo ?
    [​IMG]

Yes, the price of course !

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  13. The Syllabus

The Syllabus Well-Known Member

One made by kids in Bangledesh/China? The other made by craftsman in the USA?

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

This is a very (& too) easy answer i was waiting for. Anyway both are horrid. Lumberjack is back. And i wouldn't pay 150 dollars for a shirt, even made by a 'USA craftsman' who is most probably a chinese immigrant BTW [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  15. The Syllabus

The Syllabus Well-Known Member

So it's not the price that's bothering you, it's the style of the shirt? :foo:

16. Man-of-Mystery

Did I actually say that? I don't think so. If I did, it was a meaning I didn't intend.

You and me both, sister!

Will do!

Selfie, please! :D

17. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

The main difference for me is the collar roll. One is too big and the other too small. I like the pattern check but I wouldn't buy either whatever the cost.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bela Kun

Were chino trousers without permanent crease ever worn by skinheads back in the day?

Got a pair of nice off-white chinos today. The cut, details and the feel of the fabric somewhat resemble the Brooks Brothers milano fit 'sta-prest' - but no crease.

Edit: Just ironed creases into them. Not 'perfect, but should suffice for tonight. I'll probably get them perma creased at the alterations service/dry cleaners - they must have some steam press machine that can do that?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  19. Ivyskin89

We have a high roll collar on our shirts, you won't find that on the Uniqlo. We have full box pleat down the back. We offer life time guarantee, Uniqlo does not. We use cotton woven in Japan. The team that makes these shirts has been making them in the same factory in Massachusetts since the 60's and I've personally met with them.

I would say you could have seen any collegiate in the 60's wearing a tartan button down like that. Just because it's tartan doesn't make it lumberjack. This shirt is for someone who appreciates quality and detail. The person who buys this is most likely going to have it for the rest of their life.

We are luxury clothing brand with an edge. I look forward to showing you guys more to come. We sell our clothing in Bobby From Boston. Hope you get a chance to check it out if you come to MA.

20. Bela Kun

You're really offending my petit bourgeois sensibilities here, Clouseau. I want my shirts produced 'ethically' and traded 'fairly' with 'craftsmen' who get a 'fair day's pay for a fair day's work'.