1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. RugbyCub

RugbyCub Active Member

GOD..... What great photos.... i had the same color sta-prest.... i f--ing loved em... i was 10 and hoped Mum woudnlt know why i wanted those EXACT trousers.... but... i dont think i ever fooled em...

The pics made me smile.... very smart..... and reminded me of home

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

GOD..... What great photos.... i had the same color sta-prest.... i f--ing loved em... i was 10 and hoped Mum woudnlt know why i wanted those EXACT trousers.... but... i dont think i ever fooled em...

The pics made me smile.... very smart..... and reminded me of home

Glad you enjoyed them! I'm still searching through my loft for more pics... you never know...

M-o-M

3. Man-of-Mystery

Here's another one, from 1968. It's actually a bloody awful pic, but shows that in London we wore our shirts with the top button undone, with a tightly-knotted windsor knot tie. (The pic shows, by the way, that we weren't all right wing; it was taken on the way to a protest about teachers' pay. The guy on the left actually became a programme director on BBC radio.) [​IMG]

4. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

5. Man-of-Mystery

Great pic!

Nah - it looks like I'm mincing! [​IMG]

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

I forgot about this topic =)
    I use black Kiwi polish and I buff it with a brush. It is ok, but it doesn't shine as good as with spit-shine.

I also have some Dr Martens Balsam but it is not so good as everyone says (no shine and it doesn't never get dry) but at least it doesn't black my turnups.

And also a question about quality of today's DMs. Everyone I know (including me) have the problem that leather cracks in creases. Different boots doesn't do it, only Martens. We have model 1919 and polish it regularly. (look at this http://img534.yfrog.com/img534/2706/dmpravazleva.jpg )

I'm seeing the same happen on my newer MIE 1460s (but not on my 'James' model chromexcel 1460s, which are a more supple leather, imo). I think that creasing is pretty unavoidable with the laminated hard-smooth leather used on the 1460s. It's not a case of them being too dry, that's for sure...

I'm loving the latest additions to this thread. [​IMG] Glad to see that it still pumps warm blood.

7. mlproject

mlproject New Member

get smart... time to write a book. amazing photos in here, many i have never come across.

8. Man-of-Mystery

get smart... time to write a book. amazing photos in here, many i have never come across.

Well, if anyone should do so, then GS would be the man for the job.

I have thought of memoirs myself, because frankly the lack of authentic photos from the era, the fact that the available photos are mainly of the "hard" look and not the "sharp" look (if you catch my meaning), and the assumption of an (only approximate) look by later generations, all tend to lead to inaccuracy. One very frustrating thing is that the girls' fashions - like those really smart, tailored suits in mohair and trevira, that looked as smart as jackie Kennedy suits and really feminine - just don't seem to appear anywhere.

Still searching my attic for more...

9. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

10. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

Amazing photos! That is the ultimate smart look [​IMG]

Please can you post more photos... All the details are really interesting to be noted.

Question: when the button-downs caught on did all of then had the button in the back , box pleat and hook or regular BB where wore as well?

I have managed to dig out a few old snapshots from 1968.

The first one is from just before Ben Shermans really caught on - we wore plain white shirts at that stage.:
    [​IMG]

The next features a button-down shirt (I don't think it is actually a Ben) plus Harrington jacket. The pic was taken at a free concert in Hyde Park:
    [​IMG]

This one features a sheepskin, Levi Sta-Prest strides, and boots. Pic taken outside Goldsmiths College, New Cross:
    [​IMG]

11. Man-of-Mystery

Question: when the button-downs caught on did all of then had the button in the back , box pleat and hook or regular BB where wore as well?

All the Ben Shermans and similar did. I don't think the button-down shirt in my picture did - it was a funny brand, end of a line, which I bought in a shop "up West".

12. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

13. Man-of-Mystery

BTW I really dig this David Smith's Podcast from Phoenix FM.

http://davesmith.podomatic.com/

Listening now - it's great!

14. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

All the Ben Shermans and similar did. I don't think the button-down shirt in my picture did - it was a funny brand, end of a line, which I bought in a shop "up West".

What other brands were around? Jaytex, Brutus? Was Gant available in the UK?

15. Man-of-Mystery

What other brands were around? Jaytex, Brutus? Was Gant available in the UK?

Brutus certainly was; it was well-known for short-sleeved shirts in a very tight cross-check (I seem remember red and black on white, and brown and green on white). Brutus was the "second choice" after Ben Sherman, being a little cheaper.

Jaytex rings a bell, that's all I can say.

Blokes with a bit of money would go up West to somewhere called "The Squire Shop" in Soho, which sold American sports shirts - again short sleeved, in windowpane check. I recall I had one in blue with a yellow check, and my mate had one in yellow with a blue check. That shop was also the place to get wingtip brogues - they were beautiful, with thick leather soles. Also they stocked American penny loafers, which spurred a revival in that style (1969 and early 1970).

1 person likes this.
  16. Man-of-Mystery

More rubbish found!

1967 in Blackpool, Lancashire, before I moved down to London. The mods from the North were very much the denim jacket boys!

[​IMG]

1969 in London, posing for a pic with Mark Williams (of International Times, and later founder and editor of Bike magazine). We were trying to act out skins-versus-hairies aggro, but we were both laughing so much we didn't pull it off! From a fashion point of view, I'm wearing a green close-check Ben Sherman. Sorry it's not a particularly good pic.

[​IMG]

17. Man-of-Mystery

Still finding 'em.

I'm digging in this pic (no sh*t?). I don't know what the old checked shirt is, but I have Levis and boots on...

[​IMG]

This is my old mate "Cockney Bob". He moved down from Lancashire to London too, and became one of the first wave of skinheads there. Then he moved back up North and worked on the buses. This is just a pic for the sake of humour, not to show off the fashion (because he's in his ruddy bus conductor's gear!). He's proudly showing where he got a tooth knocked out during "bovver".

[​IMG]

18. youngScholar

youngScholar Well-Known Member

And also a question about quality of today's DMs. Everyone I know (including me) have the problem that leather cracks in creases. Different boots doesn't do it, only Martens. We have model 1919 and polish it regularly. (look at this http://img534.yfrog.com/img534/2706/dmpravazleva.jpg )

I had the same problem with my cheapie Chinese 1460s. Creasing is inevitable, but open cracking is not acceptable. I would expect this not to be an issue with the MiE docs.

19. Man-of-Mystery

I had the same problem with my cheapie Chinese 1460s. Creasing is inevitable, but open cracking is not acceptable. I would expect this not to be an issue with the MiE docs.

From day one, try inserting shoe trees. I use these on my brogues, so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work down inside boots.

Something like this: http://www.tradenote.net/images/user...Shoe_Trees.jpg

Wood is best.

20. youngScholar

youngScholar Well-Known Member

From day one, try inserting shoe trees. I use these on my brogues, so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work down inside boots.

Something like this: http://www.tradenote.net/images/user...Shoe_Trees.jpg

Wood is best.

I'm using trees in my current boots (not DMs). Cracking seems to be more of a leather quality issue.