1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Ah, but it it made no difference if we were just 14.

Now it would mean porridge!!!! :embar:

1 person likes this.
  2. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Well-Known Member

A nice shot of Marriot I hadn't seen before:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Soul Vision

This surfer jacket looks like it has a few too many stripes:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

I am STILL looking for one of those surfer jackets without stripes. I promise you they were as common as anything back in about 67/68 'up North'.

5. Man-of-Mystery

[​IMG]

6. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I have at last caught up.A lot of Pages have gone through,since I was on here last.

A bit late but Congratulations M-o-M to you and your Missus.I`ve been married and lived long term within that time-scale.

Oysters can be bought from Tube and Rail Stations(Machine only) or in Corner Shops that have the Logo showing.£5 or £10(is what I normally get) but you can go higher.Because I live in Essex,I can use my Bus Pass but have to pay for travel on Tube and Overground.

Going back to the Question regarding "Live Acts".People had got fed - up with the various "Temptations" or whatever a dodgy Promoter was presenting.You did not know this until you paid your money,and then found otherewise.This happened to a Len Barry(and another "Star")Show in th Plaza.The Promoter fucked off with the money- and there was a no show.Like I have said before,Soul had lost a lot of ground so it was the Reggae Stars we went and saw.Wembley was the biggest and I did go to a couple of "Reggae Extravaganzas" in Jamaican Clubs,but mainly it was Records.

Interesting to read Simons bit about the Harrington(1964).The Mods who I had seen (and in RSG Clips)were wearing the Golfing Style and also in a Satin like Material.:) around `63 ish,not Barracudas

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Oysters are useful, especially when one gets gets off the plane at Heathrow.
    [​IMG]

8. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

The Stylistics were another band with multiple lineups. The version I caught in Tenerife didn't even have a singer with a high pitched voice. Falsetto teeth probably, falsetto voice- never in a million

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

Thank you. :)

10. Soul Vision

I've heard of double denim before but never double button down - not sure if that is a 'jacket' Georgie Fame is wearing but ol' Mick doesn't look too impressed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Not Nylon,but close......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Man-of-Mystery

Close. Still no cigar. The ones I remember were navy blue with navy blue collars/cuffs (I had one like that), and light blue with navy collar/cuffs (as in the famous Beach Boys pic), as I've said before.

[It sticks in my memory, but is probably inaccurate, that in Blackpool the lighter ones were worn, but not exclusively, by blokes with 'French crops', and the darker ones by blokes with college boy cuts. The exception was my mate Paul Archer (originally from London) whom I first knew in his striped-blazer-and-desert-boots days; he had a French crop and a dark blue surfer. I also remember that he just looked somehow wrong in a denim jacket and with his hair shorter. He was the guy who sold me a knocked-off Levi leather jacket.]

13. TomMc666

TomMc666 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Not sure how old this jacket actually was.... was one of my uncles from the 60's, a scandinavian brand called Sandpa, a good quality cotton. Wore it from 77 to around 84. This in Heroes in Chelmsford 1981, John Jacobs , Tony 'Panther'Cummins and me.

2 people like this.
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

^ If i remember well Tom, it's the jacket you wear on the picture of the back cover of The Good, the Bad and...

Would be great to see you at the meet up BTW...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  15. TomMc666

TomMc666 Well-Known Member

Its the same one, terrible photo though! What date is it?

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

The album was released in 1982, but i don't know when the picture was taken... You must remember !

i aways loved this photo, the 4 of you have a great look.

17. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

Meet up is Thursday 26 November somewhere in London tba. That jacket always reminded me of the ones I had in school, better quality though! Thought there were also some great photos of the time on the sleeve liner - Slazenger, knit cardies and the like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Soul Vision

A lot of this video has been seen before but nice recollections from the drummer of Symarip - love his freight business with the DJ section! Also features an original discussing a photo of him that has been seen posted here. As for those yellow braces though...

Skinheads / Rude Boys and The Selecter (2014)

19. Man-of-Mystery

This is a pic that was captioned '1960s teens dancing'. No idea precisely where or when. Which side of the Atlantic? The boys have a look of 'our' era, the girls about three years or more earlier.

[​IMG]

20. Man-of-Mystery

In Blackpool, in early 1968, one of the most popular hairstyles for girls was the Vidal Sassoon 'Greek goddess' look.

[​IMG]