1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Well-Known Member

The new one of this is out, anybody read it? I always think it is a bit funny with Trojan records as a lot of folk might wear Trojan t shirts etc but weren't they notorious for ripping off artists and also re-mastering and overdubbing string arrangements over the original Jamaican recordings?

[​IMG]

2. Soul Vision

I can't see how desert boots could last 3 or 4 years as the soles wear out pretty quick:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

The Trick is Buy a Few Pairs and Rotate.Never wear the same pair 2 days in a row.

4. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

S
    same goes with underpants. Im told Ace Face mods changed underpants multiple times a day. Once a week with the Rockets probably.

1 person likes this.
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Non sequitur as to the current conversation though relevant to the forum: Does anybody know why that fellow stopped writing that slow-going but good reading "For the Suits" suedehead blog?

https://forthesuits.wordpress.com

6. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

7. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

are american classic muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's common in england? I've heard some 80's bands mention them from time to time but I'm not sure if it was from a personal perspective or just a story type narrative.

On another note I ran into this compilation awhile back I shall call it the music of your rivals haha although all the songs pre-date the mod era, I still think it's worth a listen for fans of early rock'n'roll.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Teen-Age-Riot/release/2741083

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Except it looks like he slept in it.

1 person likes this.
  9. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

American scooters were very big , back then. .

1 person likes this.
  10. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I actually like Rock `n` Roll(probably from hearing my Sister`s old 78s) and Rockabilly - especially Songs involving Cars.

2 people like this.
  11. skinny legs

We lived in the States for a while in the 60s- we returned in 1970- my dad brought back a 66 Chevvy Impala. At one time we managed to squeeze in an entire Under 11s football team thanks to the front bench seat. He sold it in a dilapidated state to a fella who intended to do it up and stick it on the Chelsea cruise.
    In answer to the question, Yankee cars particularly Mustangs and Corvettes were popular for a while. Later on I think they were viewed as slightly naff- the drivers often donned cap sleeve T- Shirts and sucked lollipops

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I know this cover is revered by the Ivy fans for the shirt/colour but I think his boots are worth a mention.They look to be Sander Playboy Chukkas in the less frequently seen leather.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. skinny legs

Gre
    I know this cover is revered by the Ivy fans for the shirt/colour but I think his boots are worth a mention.They look to be Sander Playboy Chukkas in the less frequently seen  leather.
    [/quotGreat horn player in a quiet way, very large chip on his shoulder, extremely long left leg

14. Sirryacus

It's a great compilation to check out then if you don't already know all the songs.

15. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I've always assumed Miles had on a pair of Weejuns. Kind of surprised to see the desert boots.

16. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Sirryacus,I will .......:)

1 person likes this.
  17. Sirryacus

They also have some compilations with a lot of stuff talked about earlier in the thread Mambo, R&B, Bossa Nova, Calypso, I think they would be of great interest with many posters here, they even have a french compilation.

1 person likes this.
  18. Soul Vision

Just interesting to see you can wear a button down, braces etc. and still look pure "Americana"... Our US friends might be able to date this historical period that is clearly the inspiration here a bit more accurately than me...

[​IMG]

19. Soul Vision

Never seen a color pic before of the Flamingo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    2 people like this.
  20. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Not sure what era or style the fellow is going for, though "septuagenarian hipster" might be accurate. It looks sort of like a mix of Victorian and Old West, maybe "steampunk"-inspired?