• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I think that you have made a good point here,in the 60s/70s there were gents outfitters that provided for blokes in their 40s50s60s,now most of those shops are gone,or in the case of Burtons have changed to provide tatty stuff for a younger customer.
I think that shops are missing out here,because these days its the over 45s who have got more disposable income than the teenagers ( kids grown up,mortgage payed up ),plus its the older blokes ( us ) that want to look smart...we need a better quality "Next" not Peacocks or BHS.
I think the same about Lads magazines,all aimed at blokes in their 20s ?,surely theres a market for a magazine for older "lads".

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
I'm a member of a Manchester - contemporary history - forum and enquired about whether any originals had skinhead pics that may be useful for 'the book'.

Still early days, but one poster sent me this: http://www.squidoo.com/mods-soul-mods

which may interest some of our (cough) more mature posters. :happy:

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Just came across these Cheaney Boots.They are not on the Cheaney website,but are the same design as the Fiennes model,in a different leather.I'm thinking that they will look O.K. when broken in a bit.Has anyone had experience with them?
Talking of quality and variations in lines produced,I just returned these Cheaney boots to the vendor (Yoxx).i was hoping for a result,and that just maybe the leather quality would be better than I had anticipated on ordering,but it wasn't.After all these years I should know that there's no such thing as a free lunch when you buy quality footwear.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A young Cerneabbas,at a football match mid 70s..I found this picture in a box yesterday,I still have that scarf I bought it in the Chelsea shop.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

A young Cerneabbas,at a football match mid 70s..I found this picture in a box yesterday,I still have that scarf I bought it in the Chelsea shop.
That Lone Ranger mask was never standard issue in '69 - go and stand in the corner! :happy:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Lone Ranger mask was never standard issue in '69 - go and stand in the corner
happy.gif
I dont want to be identified as the bloke who had such dodgy turnups !

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

If the information in this thread is right, then Kettering.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/360292/my-visit-to-loake

John Simons told me a year or two ago that Royals were only assembled in the UK but things may have changed.
Thank you - may give them a shuftie.

The missus brought home some shoes for me - I never shop - last weekend.

A par of Loake brogues - very average for £145 and another pair I never even took both shoes out of the box.

They were longwing style-ee, but with the current trend for a wooden-ish brown-type sole and heel... and £195. (Can't remeber the Name but they were from John Lewis and well-made, by all accounts.

I shall withhold my favours from her :happy: - until she gets it right.

I'm sure she's gutted. :satisfied:

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I think that there is a tendency to over emphasize the quality of the "High Street" back in the day.Now,as then there are still well made products available,it's down to affordability and relative to the economy/perceptions of cost and value.i wonder how many kids today have worn a pr of socks that have been darned,jeans patched,jumper elbows covered,jacket cuffs trimmed with leather?The fact is we often used to wear things until they were worn out.That all ended in the 60,s.
We have got used to cheaper prices ,that has to come at a cost,and the cost is dismissed quality.
Take the Gap for example.They have Old Navy,Gap and Banana Republic under their wing.You can buy similar styles from all three,but the quality and price is different.They have essentially got all the demographics covered,it's up to the consumer to determine what they desire and what they are prepared to pay.
It' no different with Designers providing diffusion lines.The Black Labels,Purple Labels,Rugby,Polo,RRL etc.etc.
Availability,choice and variety now bombard us .Not just in clothes,but in everything! I hear next year that "white" fridges are back "In"....not your old White,but a new Super White.Wait 'till your Mrs,start telling you that the Stainless Steel one is starting to look old and not working well......

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Interesting Posts on here.I will go through a couple,if I may:-

When I was 7 my eldest sister used to knock about withTeddy Boys.I spoke to them(as well as any spotty kid would do),I saw what they were wearing but no way could I be an expert on what they did etc.Only by the Papers.Fast forward that to `64.I(at14)went to Carnaby Street,saw the Boutiques,bought some Clothes but in no way was I an expert(then) on what Mods did,again only reading the Paper.Do you see where I am going with this?Lasttye was 16, earning so he was pretty much clued up with what was going on(his Mates were the same)but younger(12/13) and you were an observer.Yes you saw what Skinheads were wearing and yes you had an idea where they hung out but,apart from that,pure speculation and reading of Newspapers.I was not part of the ICF but I knew about them etc.

I agree with the fact that earning a regular wage is a huge impact on the choices you can make.The fact that at around 16 you could maybe start getting away with being served in the pub and as the laws of puberty dictate,Girls are having a bigger impact on your life than your scalextrix ever did - it's that awkward age.
My youngest Sister was about the same age as Roy at that time and I know she did everything within her power to stop me from being able to get into "Her" Youth Club .The last thing she needed was her snotty nosed little Brother spying on her,but the fact is the place was full of like minded kids ,all dressing and looking the same and some of them working.The oldest Lads did not appreciate the young Herbert's clipping at their ankles,I am sure,but the fact that it was a Fashion couldn't hold anyone back.I was a regular (along with a decent number of similar aged mates) at the Top of the World on a Mon. Night to see the live Soul groups.and Sundays at the Rugby Club.Getting involved in Football violence,Drinking in pubs and shagging birds was not part of my daily life.Apart from that and paying Taxes,then I can't' see what the difference is?What am I missing here? Having a Driving License is the only thing I can think of.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Sorry, she has dressed me (!!!) for the past 35 years - and usually gets it - more or less - right.

I hate the hassle of trying gear on and buggering about with less-than-interested youths in stores.

I'll say I need/want x, y, or z, I identify them online and she'll get several similar items. (Read: different sizes.) :embar:

Should I decide they are not for me, she takes them back. She loves shopping. It's her hobby. :nodding:

I will shop for beer, though - and make my own way to football matches. (Oslo/Molde on the 19th of November for three days for a Norway v Scotland friendly.)

I may buy something if anything catches my eye. :satisfied:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Those Scandinavian players can get a bit pricey Ed;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads