1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Well-Known Member

Pic didn't seem to come out before...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Generally speaking - and I mean this about all movies, no matter what the period or subject - I have to take my 'anorak' off in order to enjoy a film. I used to be a bit of a Roman Military buff, and when Gladiator came out, I was only 5 minutes into it when I told myself "Forget the inaccuracy, enjoy the film!". I guess it's a bit more difficult when it's about something one was directly involved in. For example, the pre-Northern-Soul soul scene in the North, as shown in an episode of Inspector George Gently. Difficult not to sit there shouting "No! No! No!" at the TV. If I had been a mod three years or so before, maybe I'd be bitching about white strides too.

1 person likes this.
  3. Man-of-Mystery

Just looking at that pic of him reminds me that an anagram of Bradley Wiggins is in wiggly beards.

1 person likes this.
  4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

I would agree...generally,but maybe sometimes a character is given something to wear that isn't period correct just to underline some characteristic ?.
    Take 'Trigger' in the Firm ( with Gary Oldman),set in the late 80s Trigger wears a Harrington,seldom seen about then,but maybe its supposed to say that he doesn't really care about clothes because he is more into whacking people ?.

The 2009 remake of The Firm would have been better without all the complete tracksuits being worn IMO,whilst you did see it, some of the scenes resemble an athletics meeting more than a load of hooligans on an awayday.

2 people like this.
  5. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

Frank Roddan also wrote an episode from the first series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet- the only one not penned by Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais who were a tough act for anyone to follow.
    Swinging from branch to branch, as we all know Gary Holton who played the cockney chippy Wayne, had a musical background- think he was singer with the Heavy Metal Kids- did you know he was also in that rotten film with Hazel Oconnor, Breaking Glass? Prefer breaking wind meself.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

I love American Graffiti , and l watch it every now and again as I bought it a few years ago , very entertaining and some great performances . I still laugh , every time I see the Vespa scene at the start , most of us will have seen something similar to that in real life . .:)

1 person likes this.
  7. The Saint

Indeed , I'm a bit similar myself , when it comes to inaccuracy and have often made my thoughts clear on the matter , only to be told by missus that "it is only a movie" . Unless it is actual footage , a movie is very , very unlikely to get it it right and of course , they use cinematic license all too often . The one that I could never get to grips with as a youngster was , Zulu , too many scenes that didn't make sense . Which made me go and research what really happened , to get a better understanding . .

Of course there is that epic that the Australian made apparently about Scotland , which would make you cringe , in large sections , too . .

1 person likes this.
  8. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

A film that I've never viewed but struck me as being in the wrong period by a few years is This is England, which is supposedly set somewhere in the frozen north- Sheffield? In 83. Admittedly my A-Z finishes as far North as roughly Borehamwood, but other than a handful of Oi enthusiasts round Brick Lane I didn't know anyone still dressed/,behaved like that in 83. 81 definately, 82 they were largely morphing into Casual, but 83? What do I bleeding know.

9. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much the same - some films are so inaccurate they are an insult to the intelligence - particularly if you have a little knowledge of the subject. Some of my pet hates:

Boy In The Striped Pyjamas - but for the tragic subject matter, it would be laughable.

Warhorse - One day someone will make a great film about the First World War - unfortunately this wasn't it.

Pearl Harbour - Corny in the extreme - some of the early scenes are nauseatingly insulting to the British, Canadian, Czech and Polish pilots who actually won the Battle of Britain.

A Bridge Too Far - how the British army lost the second world war by sitting around drinking tea.

My mind drifts back to an episode of The Comic Strip Presents about the Miners strike and how the writer is pressured to amend the plot and then amend the amendments until the original story is unrecognisable - "Based on actual events.........."

1 person likes this.
  10. Man-of-Mystery

Jeez, don't even go there! If ever I catch Mel Gibson I'll pull his nose as long as my arm!

1 person likes this.
  11. Man-of-Mystery

I've actually ridden an old Vespa. It felt like going down the road balancing on two christmas puddings.

1 person likes this.
  12. Soul Vision

While I believe the director of TIE really did grow up through the skinhead revival I thought the movie was pretty lame. Especially the 'skinhead' gang taking under their wing a little kid, turning him into a little skin and then promising his mother down the cafe they would take care of him - it just didn't ring true. Some of the other bits like the guy who got out of jail going to the right wing meeting etc seemed almost believable though...Would love to see a Quadrophenia type movie about the original skinhead era...

13. Soul Vision

And in some useless trivia he created the concept of MasterChef...

14. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

The trouble is, we'd all disagree about it!

We wouldn't have done that, we never wore this, that never happened, the music is wrong etc. etc. etc. etc...............

As M-o-M is no doubt acutely aware, this is the inherent danger of producing a book about the period.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  15. The Saint

Yes , it takes a bit of getting used to and then , it becomes second nature.:)

It was pointed out to me , before I bought one that the Centre of Gravity , was seriously wrong on them (engine all to one side) but , I had to have it anyway . .

After I got it a friend bought a Lambretta and offered me a shot on it , which , was great until I attempted the first corner . It had a longer wheel base and that corner almost ended tragically . .

I had another pal who bought an old Lambretta off an old guy ( I think the scooter was a series 1 , Li ). I remember my mate laughing as he pushed it over to his house , because the old guy had sold it for £40 . However , just short of a complete strip down we couldn't get it going , my mate became far more impatient than usual and gave it away . .:slayer:

It would have been worth a couple of grand today , I reckon , even as a none runner .

Hey , they could maybe get Mel to make a sort of docu-drama about it . .:foo:

1 person likes this.
  16. Soul Vision

This is described as 'Men's TRENCH SHEEPSKIN Brown Ginger Shearling Long Leather Coat Crombie Jacket'! I'm presuming such a 'creation' was never worn back in the day...

[​IMG]

17. Soul Vision

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  18. Soul Vision

1 person likes this.
  19. Soul Vision

As long as it isn't really bad, that would be part of the fun...

1 person likes this.
  20. The Saint

I'd pretty much agree on all those films with the exception of A Bridge Too Far ( " I took 10 thousand men into Arnhem , I came back with barely two).. It was always going to be a big ask to recreate an event like that but I reckon they made a decent stab inasmuch as , we get to know fairly quickly why the task was going to fail. Then there is the outstanding cast . You could play , a Who is Who of Hollywood at that time . .

I think the grim reality could have been perhaps portrayed a bit more but we do see a bit of it when the Nazis are closing in on Arnhem . I reckon Tony Hopkins may have over done it a bit with the stiff upper lip , for your tastes but I don't doubt that to some extent , those guys were like that . .

Jeremy Clarksons father-in-law won a VC at Arnhem and never mentioned it ! My mates dad was there and got captured by the Nazis but never mentioned it to him , his oldest son . .