1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. skinny legs

skinny legs Well-Known Member

Was on the same flight back from Stockholm as Phil Daniels and Damon Albarn- Chelsea Cup Winners Cup Final 98. They were both pretty plastered- Albarn was slagging off South London in a not too jokey/ obnoxious fashion. Unfortunately for him he was sitting amongst some of the older Battersea boys who were on a pharmaceutical comedown so to speak. He took a right hander and looked pretty sheepish for the remainder of the flight

2. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Well-Known Member

Always fun to look at sixties TV shows for the fashions..check out the first three minutes or so of this - the guy in the hat, three button jacket with bottom button left unbuttoned, thin tie, button down shirt, contrasting trousers that kind of match the hat color, can't get a good look at the shoes but you notice that the other extras have trousers cut just right, not too long like today, anyway he looks very smart...yet I am guessing he is around 50 here! Mainstream fashions for all ages will never be this good ever again!

That Girl S01E01 Don't Just Do Something, Stand There

3. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

Pretty much

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

I am sure I can remember girls with braces either with jeans or sta-prest with check shirts and loafers or is my memory telling me what I want to recall ??

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

That could easily apply to either of us, mate. :)

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

If she lets go of them she'll give herself something to think about! :butbut:

1 person likes this.
  8. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

Apparently , the Stinger failed his dancing lessons , which is why you don't get to see his feet when dancing and he also failed miserably during scooter riding lessons which is why he looks a bit shaky in the very brief shot of him riding the GS . . Miscast ? Aye . .

9. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

You totally misunderstand this post.I was being sincere.I could only explain in musician speak.I can't write the music in notes for you.But I could explain in shorthand,if you understand that language.Not everyone on here are musicians.If you play guitar then I could explain very easily using a couple of Numbers.I am not being a Prick.

10. yankmod

I agree.Some obvious concessions to the "New Wave" going on.Some of the Hairstyles,like you say looked a little too contemporary.

11. yankmod

Clouseau posted this short French TV doc on Mods from 1965(starring the Who) Here it is with English Subtitles.

1 person likes this.
  12. The Saint

Okay , I understand. .

13. The Saint

I suppose a movie about Mods that isn't made by Mods , isn't going to be all that accurate , which is maybe why Daltrey kept harping on about the lack of white trousers , as that must have been something that stuck in his mind from those days or he perhaps had already seen the pictures that were going in Richard Barnes book ..

Another point might be that Mods are so fussy that you are never going to please them all with a movie about Mod , even if Roddam said that the movie is just about a kid growing up and the difficulties he experiences when his life basically collapses over the period of a long weekend. .

Certainly from a personal point of view , there was a time when I wouldn't watch the movie at all because it made me cringe but I'm okay with it now and have came to accept that maybe , maybe , Quadrophenia the 1979 movie is as good as we are going to get concerning a drama of that time and place . .

I am however , looking forward to the movie about Chris Stamp and Kit Lambert which comes out on the 15th (this Friday[​IMG])

1 person likes this.
  14. yankmod

Did not know about the New Filim.Thanks for the info.I agree with you.I judge "Quadrophenia" as a Rock related movie.Rock movies are notoriously bad .On that basis I think its pretty well done.Gotta give Roddam credit.It was a novel approach getting a documentary film maker to direct.Some nice action shots etc.

15. yankmod

I must say now that I know what they are saying this is one of the best I've seen about Da Mods.Kit Lambert is spot on with his understanding of the Motivations for the Mods.Interesting Townsend speaks disparagingly about God and Religion and only 2 short years later he is gettin' down with Meher Baba and is still an adherent today.

16. The Saint

For those of who didn't know , Bradley Wiggins was on Desert Island Discs at the weekend . Not a programme I'd normally catch , but is worth a listen. How many Weller tunes do you think he asked for. .[​IMG]

Listen in here. . http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tbsqb

1 person likes this.
  17. yankmod

A respectable set.Thumbs up.

18. Soul Vision

When it comes to Damon Albarn the word dilettante always comes to my mind...oh the irony! (that's a Hindenburg joke)

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  19. Soul Vision

Didn't know there was going to be a film about these two, could be good (?) I always thought Chris Stamp had a kind of effortless cool to him that the Who never had...

[​IMG]

20. Soul Vision

Some people say they shouldn't have f@#$ed with the album but I think Quad captures the moment pretty well - at least the mod hordes who followed in the 'stylists' footsteps. My other favourite rock movie is American Graffiti - it makes the suburban streets of California seem something magical - a road movie that travels through the night...

1 person likes this.