1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mistake: bought Black Suit for interviews. Help ameliorate situation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SilverJag, Aug 28, 2012.

1. randomhero88

randomhero88 Well-Known Member

It was my way of trying to avoid coming off cocky.

I wanted to share my personal style of how I like to dress, but I wanted him to be aware that what I say could be completely wrong compared to the vast majority of others on here.

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

A light blue shirt and a rep tie.

3. Auscar

Auscar New Member

+1 Works every time imho

4. saiyar1

saiyar1 Well-Known Member

No need to be an ass.

1 person likes this.
  5. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I spent some time in Milan last year and was surprised by the number of black suits, white shirts, dark ties and black shoes. Lots of these guys worked in and around the city center. Most of them looked pretty good. Especially with an updated trim cut.

6. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

yeah ... same with me and paris. i wanted to go up to them and say "don't you know style forum would NOT approve?"

7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

:lol:

8. Twotone

Twotone Well-Known Member

If you are interviewing for jobs in Tokyo, a black suit is all you need.

9. SilverJag

SilverJag New Member

Wow, thanks for your input guys!

I actually just went out and exchanged suits since the other one was gifted to me a month or so ago. I went for a dark navy suit, and I'm really happy with the fit of it. I purchased two shirts, a light blue and a light lavender (both from Calvin Klein).

As for the shoes, I'm thinking a pair of cognac toe capped shoes with matching belt.

I haven't figured out the tie just yet. When I get the suit back from alterations, I'll try it on with the shirt and snap a picture for you guys. I must admit, the blue does look nice, not sure why I was so hesitant before.

I know it seems like I'm doing a 180* here; before with black suit/black shoes, now with navy suit/brown shoes, but I'm much, much happier with the look of it.

Thanks again for everyone's input, it is much appreciated :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

I see way more black suits at the courthouse than any other color. White or light blue shirts of course. Ties vary.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

With apologies to any elegant and dapper physicians who are participants in this forum, most medical doctors, when they try to "rock" the suit, do so very poorly. At least such has been my observation. I should think a black suit would not handicap a med school applicant in the least in his interviews....and I should hope the interviewers would be more concerned with factors other than whether he is wearing black, navy or charcoal!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. Capitano

Capitano Active Member

Should Cuff Links and Tie Clips be avoided ?