1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Missing...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FIHTies, Apr 12, 2005.

1. christian

christian Well-Known Member

AK:

After reading your reply, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. On one hand, you're saying that what mmathew did was wrong because it might harm the business and then you try to argue that it might harm the consumer. Which one is it?

What may be good for the business may not be in the best interests of the consumer? In the business world, the best product doesn't always end up winning. Look at Microsoft Windows with all its bugs and problems.

If we're concerned about the consumer, then we should welcome the free flow of information. It's a straw man argument to say that it overwhelm the small suppliers. Why not let them decide? Some might welcome it as it would give them greater market share, and let them expand. If they don't want it, they could have changed their phone number and given it out to only those they wanted to do business with.

And, I disagree that it would somehow destroy the magic. There are plenty of sources of textbooks that describes how to recreate a dish for chefs, how to perform magic, etc. in the public library where anybody can check them out. If you wanted to, one could even buy a medical textbook to learn the information that doctors know. But, that doesn't mean we've somehow lost respect the magic for these professionals.

2. Joe G

Joe G Well-Known Member

Actually, I did not write the quoted text. I must say, the astute observer would have realised that immediately, simply because I know how to spell "Palestine".

Still, though I would not have expressed that sentiment so fumblingly, I cannot say I disagree with it one bit. The numbers of innocent people murdered in the American aggression against the people of Iraq far exceeded the tolls of 9-11, though I must say that of late certain barbaric elements in Iraq seem to be taking over for America's air force and brutes on the ground quite horribly on that front, murdering their brothers and sisters wantonly rather than concentrating their fire where it belongs, on the occupying enemy. Furthermore, of course the Palestinians live under daily threat of terrorism from their illegal occupiers' American-supplied weapons. That is completely uncontroversial, except to the racist baboon who refuses to recognise a Palestinian life as being every bit the equal of a white life.

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

ah, can you feel the love... [​IMG]

4. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Don't forget she tried to seduce me. You haven't been posting as we had chated everyday for 6 weeks.

5. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

(linux_pro @ April 18 2005,20:35) I was taking a hiatus. Â My girlfriend and I have indeed broken up (after 7 years), but Ernest had very little to do with that, other than acting as a mouthpiece for the two of us to spew insults at each other from across the Atlantic.
    Don't forget she tried to seduce me.
    Ernest.. Nice to see you are back and as classy as ever.

6. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ May 09 2005,14:38)
    I was taking a hiatus. Â My girlfriend and I have indeed broken up (after 7 years), but Ernest had very little to do with that, other than acting as a mouthpiece for the two of us to spew insults at each other from across the Atlantic.
    Ernest.. Â Nice to see you are back and as classy as ever.
    J sent me an email because he was worried to death not to see me on the forum. I have just married a US millardaire, I live in B.H. now. So i have much less time for the forum...

7. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

(bryce330 @ May 09 2005,23:45)
    I was taking a hiatus. Â My girlfriend and I have indeed broken up (after 7 years), but Ernest had very little to do with that, other than acting as a mouthpiece for the two of us to spew insults at each other from across the Atlantic.

J sent me an email because he was worried to death not to see me on the forum. I have just married a US millardaire, I live in B.H. now. So i have much less time for the forum...
    OK, I'll bite - where is "B.H."? And what is a "millardaire"?

8. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ May 09 2005,14:48)

OK, I'll bite - where is "B.H."? Â And what is a "millardaire"?
    B.H. = Beverly Hills, of course. Milliardaire = billionaire

9. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

millardaire: probably = millionaire
    B.H. : probably = Beverly Hills

?

10. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Darn - Ernest got his post in a split second before me, and I was wrong in my guess on "millardaire." So you found yourself a "sugar mama?" Not that there's anything wrong with it... [​IMG]

11. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

(Bryce330) OK, I'll bite - where is "B.H."? Â And what is a "millardaire"?
    millardaire: probably = millionaire B.H. : probably = Beverly Hills ?
    I would venture to say that MMathew is correct. in Italy and I supposed all latin languages) Mille = Thousands... To say that a person is has mille dollar would be no big deal. Millions = Milliarde. Milliarde would be Millions.

12. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

(mmathew @ May 09 2005,17:57) Quote (Bryce330) OK, I'll bite - where is "B.H."? Â And what is a "millardaire"?
    millardaire: probably = millionaire B.H. : probably = Beverly Hills ?
    I would venture to say that MMathew is correct.  in Italy  and I supposed all latin languages) Mille = Thousands... To say that a person is has mille dollar would be no big deal.  Millions = Milliarde. Milliarde would be Millions.[/quote] bzzzt. in certain countries, one million million = billion. one thousand million = milliard. in France, milliardaire = billionaire.

13. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Chocoball has been missing for the last few months.

14. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member