1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Minimalism, your thoughts

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

T not reading my header stating that I like Bauhaus (of which the TT is direct descendent), and showing two of its designed products which have evolved over the course of time. So, to you architecture is art, but automobile design isn’t?
    Bauhaus is more of modernist movement, though minimalism is linked to the geometrical abstractions found in some bauhaus painters. Now, I have no idea why automobile enthusiasts and audi marketing linked their product to bauhaus, as I fail to see the link. A quick google search showed me that indeed, this was supposed to be an hommage from Audi. To over simplify Bauhaus is a movement which promoted the industrialisation of art creation: the goal of any arts is construction. Once again, I fail to see how a sportscar could be defined as "bauhaus". !luc

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Bauhaus is more of modernist movement, though minimalism is linked to the geometrical abstractions found in some bauhaus painters.
    Now, I have no idea why automobile enthusiasts and audi marketing linked their product to bauhaus, as I fail to see the link. A quick google search showed me that indeed, this was supposed to be an hommage from Audi.
    To over simplify Bauhaus is a movement which promoted the industrialisation of art creation: the goal of any arts is construction. Once again, I fail to see how a sportscar could be defined as "bauhaus".

!luc

Can a chair be Bauhaus?

Jon.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Yes, but you are the one who has to prove it, not I.

Jon.

No, actually I don't have to prove anything. If you want to labor under false assumptions, that's certainly your perogative. I'm merely pointing out that the specific factual assertion you made has no factual basis.

But if you want to get all burden-shifty about it, the fact that you're making the specific assertion that he lacked talent would generally place the burden on of proof on you.

4. imageWIS

No, actually I don't have to prove anything. If you want to labor under false assumptions, that's certainly your perogative. I'm merely pointing out that the specific factual assertion you made has no factual basis.

But if you want to get all burden-shifty about it, the fact that you're making the specific assertion that he lacked talent would generally place the burden on of proof on you.

Not at all, you must prove that he had talent; the burden of proof is on you. I already presented my evidence, his art works which are nowhere the complexity or require the same skill that a Caravaggio would require. Now, show me a work by Rothko that has the same complexity and requires the same skill.

Jon.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I think minimalist art is nice for decorating a modern interior but that's about it. I don't really regard it as art.

6. lawyerdad

Not at all, you must prove that he had talent; the burden of proof is on you. I already presented my evidence, his art works which are nowhere the complexity or require the same skill that a Caravaggio would require. Now, show me a work by Rothko that has the same complexity and requires the same skill.

Jon.

No, there's no burden on me at all because I'm not making any such contention. Pointing out that you've made assertions that lack any evidentiary basis is not the same thing as affirmatively contending the contrapositive of your statement.
    In any event, your logic is faulty. The fact that someone who made a conscious, intellectually consistent decision to turn away from the more "complex" works of the past did not produce the type of work he deliberately eschewed is not probative of his ability or inability to produce such work. When your premise doesn't lead to your conclusion, the putative validity of your premise is irrelevant.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I think minimalist art is nice for decorating a modern interior but that's about it. I don't really regard it as art.
    You just called it art.

This whole debate about whether some art is art or not is so 1928

8. imageWIS

No, there's no burden on me at all because I'm not making any such contention. Pointing out that you've made assertions that lack any evidentiary basis is not the same thing as affirmatively contending the contrapositive of your statement.
    In any event, your logic is faulty. The fact that someone who made a conscious, intellectually consistent decision to turn away from the more "complex" works of the past did not produce the type of work he deliberately eschewed is not probative of his ability or inability to produce such work. When your premise doesn't lead to your conclusion, the putative validity of your premise is irrelevant.

I can only go by his artworks, none of which show a complexity or skill (not mutually inclusive, btw) to compare to Caravaggio. Thus, unless you have an artwork by Rothko to prove otherwise, I'm going to keep my position.

Jon.

9. imageWIS

You just called it art. This whole debate about whether some is art or not is so 1928

[​IMG]

Jon.

10. lawyerdad

I can only go by his artworks, none of which show a complexity or skill (not mutually inclusive, btw) to compare to Caravaggio. Thus, unless you have an artwork by Rothko to prove otherwise, I'm going to keep my position.

Jon.

Party on, dude. [​IMG] I have no investment in getting you to change your position.

11. imageWIS

Party on, dude. [​IMG] I have no investment in getting you to change your position.

Nor I yours. Let's be honest: there is no way to test either of our theories, for Rothko is dead.

Jon.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Rothko is dead.
    Can you prove that?

13. imageWIS

Can you prove that?

No living artist has paintings that command that kind of price at the auction house.

Jon.

14. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

Can a chair be Bauhaus?

Jon.

There are many.

!luc

15. imageWIS

There are many.

!luc

Indeed there are, so why can't a car be Bauhaus as well?

Jon.

16. Willsw

Willsw Well-Known Member

Indeed there are, so why can't a car be Bauhaus as well?

Jon.

I would think that a chair being designed at the Bauhaus gives it an edge over a car being designed decades after the Bauhaus ceased to exist. Influence, however, works.