1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Midnight blue dinner jacket, what color bow tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Well-Known Member

I think dinner jackets and tuxes should remain BLACK

I beg to differ. Black tuxedos are too usual, conservative and boring. As everyone own a black tuxedo, it is better to separate yourself from the rest of the horde. Favoured and made famous by the Duke of Windsor, midnight blue tuxedo is a an excellent alternative to the all-too-usual black tuxedo.

As much as I hate using celebrities as references, here is Daniel Craig sporting a midnight tux (made by Tom Ford?)

[​IMG]

I'd say wear it with a black bow-tie for a minimalist but understated look. [​IMG]

2. Sebastian

Sebastian Well-Known Member

Are you planning to wear the smoking jacket as a smoking jacket or as a substitute dinner/tuxedo jacket?

I plan to wear it as a substitute for a tuxedo.
    Of course I own a "real" tuxedo, but I like the look for "less formal" formal occasions, like formal dinners or smaller, relaxed evening occasions, which nevertheless call for evening clothes.

3. SailorS15

SailorS15 Active Member

If you're wearing anything Tom Ford, I'm right beh
    I believe the answer is always black with any midnight blue jacket. The only time I've seen a very elegant ensemble, were the bow tie WASN'T black, was an all black minimalistic outfit.
    The answer then is a VELVET midnight blue bow tie.

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

if the lapels are black, black bowtie then to match.

5. emc894

emc894 Well-Known Member

Personally don't like the contrast of midnight and black. Midnight silk facings are quite hard to find though.

I think you're better off with black. You dont need to make a "statement" and have everyone who hasn't seen one raise an eyebrow about your non-black tuxedo (especially the host!). Besides, unless these is very little light, black looks better and less conspicuous. Its descended from the tailcoat after all. Could you imagine a blue tailcoat? it would look like livery.

6. emc894

emc894 Well-Known Member

This is the ticket! Much better. Elegance in repose as it were.