1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mercedes R107 (70's and 80's SL)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by dhc905, May 25, 2010.

1. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just saw this tonight on a friends FB page. Assuming it's a 190SL?

2. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just saw this tonight on a friends FB page. Assuming it's a 190SL?

THIS. White/cream with read interior, FTMFW. The only thing better is the 1962 Jaguar E-Type 3.8 my neighbour has just bought, the dirtyfuckingbastard.

3. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

4. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Well-Known Member

I recently Drove an '87 SL560 around town, maintained and in top condition, it was owned by a family member.

I wasn't to impressed, it felt heavy, felt sluggish. Honestly my old beat up BMW E30 3 series with over 200K miles felt faster, lighter and like it had better handling.

Whats so great about these cars?

5. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Someone told me they found a slightly beat-up 450SLC for $1500. Might check it out for lulz. If it runs it might be an interesting daily driver.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

THIS. White/cream with read interior, FTMFW. The only thing better is the 1962 Jaguar E-Type 3.8 my neighbour has just bought, the dirtyfuckingbastard.

I beg to differ:

[​IMG]

7. epb

epb Well-Known Member

I beg to differ:

[​IMG]

Gorgeous to look at, but you have to be "of a certain age" to find driving them pleasurable, imo. I like classic cars, but I like driving them, so I need roll-up windows, a gearbox with synchros all around, and a top that doesn't take 20 minutes to assemble. Also, at 6'1" I've found the XK1*0s to be tricky to fit in. Heck, the E-type is tricky up until 67 or so, iirc.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Gorgeous to look at, but you have to be "of a certain age" to find driving them pleasurable, imo. I like classic cars, but I like driving them, so I need roll-up windows, a gearbox with synchros all around, and a top that doesn't take 20 minutes to assemble. Also, at 6'1" I've found the XK1*0s to be tricky to fit in. Heck, the E-type is tricky up until 67 or so, iirc.

???

9. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Do they have mercedes junk yards?

Parts are not that hard to find. Lots of junk yards that ship. For new parts I use Parts Geek and ebay. There are lots of good and cheap sources for after the market parts.

I like this model because it's has lot's of leg and body room[​IMG]

I don't have any pics showing the enitre car, but my 92 500SL looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    This is mine:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

10. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

The R107 and R129 Mercedes SL560s are steals on the used market and at the risk of sounding like a hertetic, I would rather own and '80s vintage Mercedes convertable than the current model for the simple reason the incresased number of electronic dooddads mean greater chance of expensive repair bills when they break.