1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mercedes CLS 500

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kabert, Oct 7, 2006.

1. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

What do you think of the Mercedes CLS 500?

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/merc...70/photos.html

I've always thought it's incredible eye-candy -- sexy yet strong and sporty, though I think there's a pretty significant part of the population who think it's too 'out there' and looks as if the roof were chopped. I spent this afternoon driving one around -- from highways to twisty back roads, and almost all of it on roads that were wet. I was impressed with the stability and power and even more impressed with its roadholding ability. Must as I tried, the car's tires would not slip -- whether in hard braking, going around corners or (most noticeably) flooring it from a standstill. My BMW has fat tires all around -- Michelin Pilots -- yet it is nowhere near as confidence inspring as the CLS was in the wet. From a standstill with hard acceleration, my car usually will go right into traction control mode and mild wheelspin. The CLS just roared forward. It was as if the road were dry. Perhaps it's not so much the Mercedes as it was the new technology in the CLS (compared to my 1998 model) and the extra-fat tires it has.

2. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

i like it.

[​IMG]

-Jeff

3. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I think that car only looks good in AMG trim in a darker color. I remember seeing one in a darker red at the LA auto show, and it was stunning. The non-AMG suspension puts the car up too high for the rest of its shape to look good --- like an armadillo on platforms.

--Andre

4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Love it, was in one at a dealer awhile ago. I still don't like the downgrade in interior and general finishing in Mercedes products since the early 90's but the car is stunning. Especially in a darker colour with AMG goodies.

A.

5. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

wow, slightly redesigned for 2007! looks a little more aggressive. very nice!

[​IMG]

-Jeff

6. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

Mercedes interiors are becomming more and more dissapointing. My parents were Mercedes people until about 4 years ago and have switched to BMW models. Saw a CLS 500 on the way to school and for that level of Mercedes, the interior was not so impressive. The design is beautiful, but I'm tall and get phantom leg and back pains just looking at it.

7. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

One of the best looking sports sedans I've seen in a long time. I usually prefer coupes (the cl 55 amg for example) but this is great.

8. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Why can't BMW design cars like this?!? [​IMG]

Facking Bangle!

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I think the back looks like an unfortunate steroided riff of the Alfa Romeo Boattail.

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

wow, slightly redesigned for 2007! looks a little more aggressive. very nice!

[​IMG]

-Jeff

I want one.

11. vc2000

vc2000 Well-Known Member

I know this car is about style but I found headroom to be lacking and the backseat to be dark with smallish windows. If I am going to drive a sedan I want the backseat to be functional. I think I will hold for the next model of the Lexus LS. I'll admit the 500 looks cool though.

12. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Well-Known Member

The back seat does feel a little constricting to ride in, with the small windows and the high beltline. However, I would take one of these over an E-Class any day. Make it the CLS63 AMG [​IMG]

13. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

Why can't BMW design cars like this?!? [​IMG]

Facking Bangle!

You do not like zee BMW?

[​IMG]

14. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

i saw an 06 model yesterday. beautiful indeed! i hope mercedes can bring back their old glory.

15. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

You do not like zee BMW?

[​IMG]

lol at whoever put those gullwings

16. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

That's the Z9 concept car introducing the 6-series shape. BMW put on those gullwings.

--Andre

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I saw my first cls 500 today. It's extremely ugly. It's the rear-end that really kills it imo.

18. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I like its looks. But I have a friend who has a CLS63 and says it's got some downsides. Says it's fast but plows like a Zamboni when going slow around town - not nearly as fun as his M3 was as a daily driver.