1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Menswear Fall-Winter 2013-14 (Mens Fashion Week - London, Milan, Paris)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by GoldenTribe, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

SLP was like a grungy DH era Slimane.

2. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Well-Known Member

3. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

that mokney from baraka is cray

dries wins. hope damir gets better again, one day...

4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

:stirpot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. Cyber7Punk

Cyber7Punk Well-Known Member

stefano pilati was really great i hope he does a good job at e.zegna

2 people like this.
  6. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Well-Known Member

The clothes are an odd blend of Hedi DH and Decarnin Balmain. Not impressive, but the shoes are nice; Slimane always did well with DH footwear, too.

7. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

hedi's insistence on using children as models gives me the creeps

8. wurm

wurm Well-Known Member

"hey i'll give you a half gram of heroin if you model for me"

4 people like this.
  9. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Tim Blanks' hilariously scathing review of Saint Laurent Paris Menswear AW2013 (amusing what constitutes "scathing" in the fashion universe):

It seems SLP pulled all their advertising on Style.com shortly after the review went live.

10. Zeemon

Zeemon Well-Known Member

that's the first real critique i've read on style.com

1 person likes this.
  11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I couldn't stop looking at SLP...really freaky. Hedi looked bad at the end. I notice there are more likes for that on Style.com than any other collection by far, but I guess that's because of the press. I bet it'll sell anyway. Maybe people want grunge again.

I contrast, i loved DH, very sharp, austere, and mature. I like the expert look, but wouldn't do the belt!

Balenciaga had some of the coolest jackets. Really great, but obviously short collection.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  12. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Well-Known Member

All I could think was "why would someone pay several thousand dollars to look like Kurt Cobain?" But, at this point, it's hardly surprising what people will pay money for.

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Hedi is a douche. His response to any criticism is to take his ball and go home. I can't think of anyone who contrasts more in spirit with all the music he claims to love and take inspiration from. What an ass.

14. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Re: pulling advertising

What do you expect them to do? What would you do in that situation? To think that anyone who is in bed that much with advertising money is not going to be influenced by it is pretty naive.

I don't understand what people expected from Slimane? The links between his collections for YSL, DH and now SLP are strong and obvious. He isnt going to change his direction. They paid him to make sexy, slim clothing that was youthful and that they could sell for crazy markup and leverage fragrances / bags / money makers from.

15. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

In their situation, I probably would wait for the review before deciding to pursue an advertising relationship.

Just because the end result is unsurprising doesn't mean it's not worth deriding. That said, his work for SLP is worse than his work for Dior, which is something worth talking about – along with his absolutely insane way of managing business elements.

16. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

You are kidding right? Yes they brought him in to sell clothes. But they were u der the impressuon that he would use his design sense to make stuff that people would want to buy today. This look is old. It is a new day.. Dudes are not starving themselves anymore to look like this.

17. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

I will not google this

5 people like this.
  18. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Agree with your take on his clothes. Totally disagree about his response to criticism though. Saint Laurent is trying to punish anyone who even mildly criticizes Hedi. It's not like they're choosing not to advertise with a place that unnecessarily slams them. They're just being petty and vindictive. There's a difference. It's not the first time either.
    http://www.businessoffashion.com/2012/10/a-wake-up-call-for-ysls-pr-team.html

19. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

Errr eating disorders in men are rising not falling? And so is body dysmorphia? I think people will be surprised about how much people will eat up Heidi's work, his fans are rabid and have never really been part of the demographic on SF.

We won't know how well it's selling for awhile. If you wanted a new look why the fuck would you get Heidi Slimane to do it?? Have you seen old YSL Rive Gauche shows? He bangs on the same drum forever and obviously that's what they wanted. They would have approved the shows anyway.

Brad, big fashion is like big radio, full of payola. It's to be expected. We live in a bubble free of they influence on SF, but read GQ or Esquire and it's glaringly obvious.

20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I'll say that on second glance, I'm starting to like the SLP collection a little more. There are a few pieces that I'd pick up, and it's so old school that it's almost different for me. I don't mind the whole waif thing, especially since he uses some thicker models, too.

There's only one opinion that matters on this collection though, and that's Karl Lagerfeld's. Let's wait to see what he has to say. I'm sure it'll be intense. :)