1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. lsquare

lsquare Well-Known Member

Well, if you simply must pay as much as possible for a mediocre peacoat, no one can stop you.

I guess we'll see.

2. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

Price was dropped to 580 because it was the last in the store, had a limited run, etc (probably why I can't find it online anywhere) and the salesgirl likes us. My fiancee went ahead and picked it up for me.

3. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

4. v84

v84 Well-Known Member

why dont you just find one you like with the fabric you like, and then take it to a tailor, just make sure the shoulders fit, everything else can be changed, this is what I plan to do, Im the same as you I want a considerable amount of cashmere in with the wool and spandex filler is a major turn off for me. I would expect better fabric for that much.

5. Analog

Analog Well-Known Member

Price was dropped to 580 because it was the last in the store, had a limited run, etc (probably why I can't find it online anywhere) and the salesgirl likes us. My fiancee went ahead and picked it up for me.
    Post pics please [​IMG]

6. manifest v

manifest v Well-Known Member

Sigh, there've been so many purchases this year that I just couldn't bear to pay the price for initially, yet in retrospect regretted it once the item disappeared.

The one I most regret was a lovingly fitting Yohji Asymmetric blazer :[​IMG]:

[​IMG]

7. j

j Well-Known Member

Since so many people have asked (me) where to get a real vintage navy peacoat, I thought I'd pass this on. I was up on Haight and whatever (near Ashbury) in SF the other day and Aaardvark's Odd Ark has a ton of peacoats for $40. I almost bought one until I ran across an unusual USAFA (Air Force Academy) zippered/hooded wool poncho on the same rack, which I've never seen before, and got that instead. I'll post pics of that because I really like it. But anyway, they have like 20+ peacoats there in varying condition up to nearly new. Lots of sizes from 36 to at least 46 or so. The guy there was really helpful too. From what he said it sounds like the other stores (there are 5) probably have some as well.

1501 Haight St. SF
    415 621 3141

8. manifest v

manifest v Well-Known Member

9. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

10. j

j Well-Known Member

No, they are vintage Navy issue, some dating way back. Some had the corduroy lined pockets and most had the wide 6-button front (2 hidden buttons) like my coats.

11. dk7m

dk7m Well-Known Member

I picked up a vintage Navy peacoat from the Aaardvarks in Pasadena on Colorado for $45 bucks too... just fyi

12. MrJunebug

MrJunebug New Member

Thanks for the heads up! I've been debating whether or not to get a Sterlingwear peacoat. Will definitely check out this place when my friends and I visit the bay area this week.

13. seen

seen Well-Known Member

Hook a brother up!

14. j

j Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a lot of cool stuff there actually. When I was in there on... Wednesday? they were still unpacking boxes from a huge shipment they had just gotten in. I think the guy said they get new stuff every Weds.

I finally picked up something I've been looking for forever (ever since I started getting into cyberpunk type stuff as a kid), which is a CWU-36/P lightweight flight jacket in real fireproof Nomex. They had it for $40, which is an unreal price. I also got a -45 which is the insulated version. And that cool zippered hooded wool poncho which I think you guys will really like.

BTW, you'll most likely want to size down one size. I'm a 39 or 40 and the 38 peacoat fits me how I like it.

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Well-Known Member

J- I almost picked up an old Navy peacoat last week at the Salvation Army, still might, but I was wondering about the feel of it. It feels very hard and brittle, not soft like my Sterlingwear, is this just how old wool feels? Would this be okay after the drycleaners get it?

Also: There is a thrift store in the East Village in NYC that has a bunch of old Navy Peacoats as well, I know that's not too helpful but I'll try to figure out where it is.

16. prozach1576

prozach1576 Well-Known Member

I asked my parents to order me a 34R Sterlingwear peacoat for Christmas. I really like the way it looks, but it's REALLY tight, to the point of really limiting my movement. I'm willing to put up with a little discomfort in the name of style, but I can't decide whether I think it visibly appears to be too small. Usually I have a good sense of these things, but I think this could go either way so I figured I'd post a quick picture and let you all be the judge.

[​IMG]

Do you think sizing up to a 36 would drastically affect the very fitted look? How much would it cost to have it tailored?

17. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

i'm not a huge fan of layering, so i think it looks PERFECT. exactly how i want my peacoat to fit, will have to get it tailored to look the way it looks on you though

[​IMG]

18. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

i think you should size up but i'm not very hip

19. progressiveminded

progressiveminded Well-Known Member

I think it's a perfect fit, but if you're having doubts about it, you should size up. If you aren't comfortable with it, then it's not the right fit for -you-.

20. metkirk

metkirk Well-Known Member

I asked my parents to order me a 34R Sterlingwear peacoat for Christmas. I really like the way it looks, but it's REALLY tight, to the point of really limiting my movement. I'm willing to put up with a little discomfort in the name of style, but I can't decide whether I think it visibly appears to be too small. Usually I have a good sense of these things, but I think this could go either way so I figured I'd post a quick picture and let you all be the judge.

[​IMG]

Do you think sizing up to a 36 would drastically affect the very fitted look? How much would it cost to have it tailored?

I think it fits you perfectly. Could you please give the measurements of the coat? Like shoulder, chest, and length?