1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Well-Known Member

Well, they aren't making anymore of them, and it is the finest material made for peacoats. Probably find one less than that on ebay, though. If I didn't have one, I would gladly pay that much for a nice one.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. matt1985

matt1985 Well-Known Member

They look incredibly nice, will have to get one! How much slimmer are the earlier 1950's compared to say a 1970's jacket? Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered before.

3. Peacoat

The WWII models are the slimmest. They got a little larger post war in the 40s. Only a little difference between the 50s and the 70s, but some. Many people wouldn't notice the difference.

If one is filled out to one's adult size, with normal proportions, fit shouldn't be a problem. If, however, the buyer still has the skinny frame of adolescence, the coat will be too large. As an example, I have a chest size of 42" and weigh 190 lbs. with an athletic frame. A size 40 peacoat gives me a trim fit with only a shirt underneath. A size 42 allows enough room to layer a sweater and still obtain a trim fit.

If you haven't already done so, read the peacoat dating guide that is linked in my signature line below. A section on fitting is toward the end of the guide.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  4. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

From the wiki.

Kersey - a type of cloth construction, using wool.

Melton- a type of cloth construction, using wool.

Merino- a type of sheep that produce very fine wool.

This same wool is used in making fabrics from 8 ounce weight
    summer suiting, as well as 32 ounce kersey and 24 once melton.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  5. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

Ain't it tough to think of peacoats in summer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Peacoat

I don't even try.

1 person likes this.
  7. WestwardDrift

WestwardDrift Active Member

I'm impressed. This looks much better than previous Bond style peacoats you posted in the past. The buttons are placed more like what I expect to see and the proportions of the coat are better. A question: could you produce a cotton version in a navy or midnight blue or perhaps a charcoal? And could a fabric be picked with water resistance?

Thanks.

8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I think of mine sitting in the closet and long for winter to come around again.

9. Testo

Testo Active Member

Is there any way to find out what oz wool my peacoat is? Its not listed on the tags...

10. Testo

Testo Active Member

11. hokuto

hokuto Well-Known Member

Hello,

Quick question, I recently bought my first pea coat and while it seems to fit fine when I'm standing; it looks very awkward if I reach forward for something overhead. Is that a sign of a bad fit or just something that pea coats aren't suppose to look good doing?

Thank you

12. Peacoat

Most jackets and coats that have a trim fit will pull when one is reaching forward or overhead.

13. pob944

pob944 New Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  14. matt1985

Can I get some feed back from anyone that has bought a jacket off vintage trends. Are they good to deal with? Trust worthy? Found a few jackets I like but just want to hear some feedback before making the purchase.

Also I noticed some price difference in jackets that are classed in the same condition. There are a couple of size 36 in excellent condition but there is $50 difference between them. It's hard to tell from the one picture provided, but both look pretty good. If the jacket is a later model does that make them more expensive?

I found some 1950 jackets and they are higher priced again, it's the only thing I can put it down to. Be nice if they had more pictures of each jacket to look at.

15. evanmayer1

evanmayer1 Member

I'm no Peacoat, but I think he'd corroborate what I'm about to say. VintageTrends is not easy to work with. Their pictures are scant and in the past, they have been stingy with proper measurements. Mostly, you must take their word on size and condition.

Differences in price between jackets of the same size and condition could either be due to small differences in condition at each level or differences in rarity. The older jackets are more desirable for their fit and material.

16. matt1985

Cheers, appreciate the feedback! I might have to contact them in regards to the jackets I'm looking at and ask questions. Are there any other sites that sell ex military pea coats? I've checked eBay, but haven't found much. Thanks for the info so far.

17. x1van510

x1van510 Member

Would it be appropriate to wear heavy wool coats in the Bay Area?

In the winter, the coldest it gets is around 40 degrees. It usually averages to ~52-55 throughout the day.

Would it look out of place?

For reference, I have several peacoats in black, charcoal, camel and olive, a 35" long duffel coat in navy, and a camel "car" coat. I'll probably have a collared shirt + sweater underneath, and semi-faded raw denim and chukka boots. The setting would be in a college campus.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  18. evanmayer1

evanmayer1 Member

That seems a little warm for heavy wool coats, but if you think it works, no one is stopping you. It's certainly a good combination, it's just a question of if you find yourself cold enough. Just don't make yourself uncomfortable!

Try Etsy. They may have some, but the target market is narrower (vintage and handmade crafts enthusiasts) than eBay, so the people there tend to price desirable vintage goods higher. eBay may take some time. Peacoats come and go on there all the time, I spent a few months checking weekly before I found one in my size at a good price in good condition.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. Josephpark

Josephpark New Member

Hey guys, I was at a friends house helping him clean out his closet, and I came upon his American Eagle Peacoat. I tried it on, and the fit was absolutely perfect. The size small was actually such a good fit that he offered to sell it to me, it is a size small. What I'm most worried about is that since I live in Fort Lee, NJ... the winter gets frighteningly cold. I'm talking weekly/monthly temps below 20 degrees. I looked up the peacoat online and found out what this peacoat was made of. 54% Recycled Wool, 29% Polyester, 9% Acrylic, 8% Other Fibers
    That is my main problem. Will that peacoat be able to protect me from the cold? The coat felt very thin and light, and I feel like it wont..

*edit* I'm an idiot for even asking that question.. the fit was just too good I was trying to convince myself lol!

I'm currently looking to purchase a slim fit peacoat that is considerably thick and warm for this upcoming winter. I do not know my measurements other than my waist at 31. I am 5'7, 155 pounds, athletic body with a V-tapered body.. I know many of you guys would suggest a WW2 issued coat judging from these past posts but something I cannot live with is the fact that the original owner of the coat has most likely passed away. I can't bring myself to wear a coat that was worn by somebody that has passed. Call me a baby but its just something I cannot bring myself to do.
    What are some brands I can check out that will suit my needs?
    Right now I currently have a Tommy Hilfiger melton wool-blend peacoat, the $250 from Macy's, in a size S(navy). It fits me too big. I can't tailor it because buying a new coat in the price range of $0-$150 would be more affordable.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  20. evanmayer1

evanmayer1 Member

Go with your gut. If it feels thin and isn't 100% wool, it probably won't be very warm. I would say use many layers, but it sounds like it fits well without layers. The other tipoff is American Eagle. They're not really known for their winter gear, at least not to me. If it gets down to 0, go for a proper down coat or one with a zip-out liner. A really heavy duty peacoat may work in that cold, but you'd need layers and a scarf and hat.
    When the polar vortex hit Chicago last winter, I skipped the peacoat and went with the ski jacket.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014