1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Kroaker

Kroaker Well-Known Member

I'm the exact same size as you and just got one in large and it fits perfect. You could try a medium, but I'd say a small would not work. The new (2012 versions, I don't think the 2013s are out yet) ones come in both a thinsulate and non-thinsulate versions. Let us know what ya get.

2. GMan71

GMan71 New Member

I went ahead and purchased the J Crew Bayswater Model #87195, non-thinsulated, in size Medium. I believe this is the most current model as it it listed on the J Crew site but sold out. Got what I think is an alright price off of Ebay for $170 shipped. Seller excepts returns as well if the size is wrong. This reminds me of my purchase of a Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket. At one time I only purchase XL. Then realized I needed to drop a size. Never thought I would need a Medium, but the Large Down Jacket made you look like the Michelin Man. Medium was a great fit in that jacket but I never wear it as it is just too warm. Hoping this is a good fit and not so heavy so I can get some use out of it. I'll post a review when it comes in. Thanks everyone!

3. evanmayer1

evanmayer1 Member

It's possible that it just won't work for you, and you might have to consider other coat options. However, you could try to size up to get the fit you want in the shoulders, and have a tailor take in the extra length in the sleeves.

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I can't advise on civilian coat fitting; I have no specialized knowledge of that type of coat.

5. whepton

whepton New Member

I'm thinking of the Sterlingwear Navigator... and I've hear that the navy blue coat actually is very "blue" and is much lighter than what you might expect. Can anyone offer some insight on this?

6. GMan71

GMan71 New Member

The J Crew Bayswater Model #87195, non-thinsulated, in size Medium, arrived today. I'm very glad I got the non-thinsulated version. This is a heavy winter coat even without the thinsulate but a good weight. I like the size choice, it gives me the hour glass shape I was looking for and nice trim look. I believe I will get the sleeves shorten. I'm 6 foot 195 lbs with a 42 inch chest but I must just have short arms. I'm very pleased, this is a very stylish good looking coat and the price sure beats the BR model which is not even lined. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

7. DRSATAN

DRSATAN Member

Ok another question for the experts on this thread. Is it possible to tailor a standard double breasted peacoat into a single breasted coat? Logistically do you think this would be possible from any experience.
    Thanks in advance

8. Kroaker

Looks good. Agreed on your assessment on the sleeves.

9. Peacoat

I think it is possible and probably has been done, but my question would be, why?

1 person likes this.
  10. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

^Why not just... buy a single-breasted coat?

11. DRSATAN

DRSATAN Member

Basically I prefer the look/wear of single breasted coats and find them less bulky but I still want the cut and style of a peacoat.
    I had a single breasted 'peacoat style coat' several years ago which got lost when moving cities.

12. evanmayer1

evanmayer1 Member

I would try searching for a navy wool "car coat". They're usually single breasted, and I had plenty of those turn up while I was searching eBay for my peacoat.

13. OlafG

OlafG Well-Known Member

I'm 6'1, 42" chest and weigh 200 lbs and I was thinking about going with the large to allow for layering and my arms are long so medium rarely works out for me.

14. Kroaker

I think that should work well for you.

15. OlafG

OlafG Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to get the Bond peacoat but I'm not sure if it's worth the price. I like the fact that it's unlined so it can work in a larger range of temperatures with layering. I live in Norway but I'm not sure how warm an unlined pea coat would be.

If anyone is planning on getting the Bond Peacoat or anything else from Billy Reid, I have a $380 gift card that I'm looking to get rid of if I end up not getting the Bond coat.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Its definitely got the hype factor factored in to the price. If it was lined, I would be more inclined to kop. Don't know if I like the peak lapels either.

17. Peacoat

Most peacoats have only a thin rayon type lining. Normally, the lining isn't for warmth and adds nothing to the thermal retention properties of the coat. The thick outer wool is what normally gives a peacoat its warmth.

I agree with Dbear that the hype factor is reflected in the price. Nor am I a fan of the peak lapels.

18. PiperDriver

PiperDriver New Member

Hello forum. first post for me.

Sterlingwear 32R
    Height: 5' 6"
    Weight: 135 lbs.

Thoughts/criticisms?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Znni

Znni New Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pea coat fabric? I'd need some heavy (at least 24 oz / 680 gms) black fabric preferably from Europe so I can avoid customs fees. It seems to be a surprisingly difficult task to find any suitable fabrics with Google.

20. Kroaker

Wool? Not quite sure what you are asking. Are you looking to make your own peacoat?

1 person likes this.