1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

I emailed Meermin. Told them that I'm mostly a 8D in the 65 last from AE. They told me to go with a 7D in their shoes. Just a FYI

2. laost28

laost28 Member

Looking to purchase my first pair of double monks from Meermin, but can't seem to decide on a color (dark brown and burgundy calf look nice). My small dress shoe collection consists of dark brown Park Avenues and bourbon Strands. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

3. Kestasme

Kestasme Member

If the Tricker 4497S(Stow) UK8 fits me perfectly, what size should I pick in Meermin lasts, since they have many attractive shoes?

4. OldWhiteBeard

OldWhiteBeard New Member

I am doing my best trying to navigate the different last options that are currently available at the Meermin website.

It seems all of the oxford shoes available are built on either the Hiro or Olfe last, while the blucher shoes uses the Rui last.

I have wide feet and while I can fit very snugly into a pair of UK11 Loake shoes built on the Capitol last (which could probably work after a painful brake in), the ball of my foot is squeezed together and would hurt if worn throughout the whole day. I can wear the same shoe in UK11.5 with much more comfort, but with some heel slippage.

Based on this, would you say I would be able to wear a Hiro or Olfe last, or are they way too narrow? Would it mean sizing up to a UK12?

Edit: I should also add that I also have a pair of Tricker's Stow boots with a width 5 last which fit me snugly but well at UK11.5, but needed some time to break in and adapt to the width of my feet.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  5. Usonian

Usonian Well-Known Member

If you already have two dark brown shoes you may want to consider the burgundies. that's what I'd go for anyway.

1 person likes this.
  6. turmeed

turmeed New Member

Has anyone found they need to go up a half size when switching from Hiro to Elton? Meermin recommend going for the same size for both, but I've just bought a pair of oxfords in Elton, and on my left (slightly larger) foot, they feel quite tight. Hiro was slightly tight on that foot, but stretched really nicely after a few wears to a comfortable fit. These feel slightly tighter though so I'm not sure. Hiro was just a width issue, wheras these feel just a smidge "too short", so it's pushing my heel back into the shoe a fair bit.

I'm at that point where I'm not sure whether I should stick with them to see if they'll stretch , or if I should pay the extra shipping costs to try a pair a half size bigger. The right (slightly smaller) foot is a perfect "snug but not tight" fit right out of the box, so perhaps a half size up will be too big? Any thoughts?

7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

I wear the same size in Elton and Hiro but can attest that Elton fits me better (more snug) and Hiro feels slightly roomier. Thankfully, my Hiro based shoes are boots and I wear them with heavier socks, making the difference less noticeable.

I am afraid that the fit difference is too minimal to size down half a size for Hiro, however. It would be a costly experiment (exchange shipping), would the half-size smaller Hiro proves too small.

8. turmeed

turmeed New Member

That's interesting info - thanks.

It's interesting how Elton is considered a more 'snug' last shape, even though Meermin quote it as being 1mm wider with a slightly higher instep. Just goes to show how hard it is to accurately describe a last shape with all its contours and variables.

I've worn these size 9s around the house too much to send them back, so I'd be looking at a second pair. Would probably try and sell this pair if the half size bigger turns out to be better. Perhaps on the classified ads here.

9. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

The Elton last is a more elongated than that of the Hiro last. However, I take the same size in both last. The shoes will definitely stretch, but whether they become comfortable is a different story.

It may also help if you let others know what size you wear for other brands.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. Psmith

Psmith Member

I've had a very similar experience. My 9.5 Hiros are a pretty snug fit – snugger than than any of my shoes from other makers. Meermin told me to stick with 9.5 on the Elton, and they're very snug indeed. I decided to stick with them, and they've definitely eased out after about 5 wears, but next time I'd definitely consider going up a half size. The Eltons are the new peak quarter Adelaide, which seem to be cut with a highish instep - it's there that the fit is tightest - getting my foot in was a significant struggle the first few times!

11. jdtjib

jdtjib Member

This has probably been answered before, but how does the Hiro last compare to Carmina Rain? My foot is too wide for Carmina Rain. Will it be too wide for the Hiro too? If so, which Meermin last might fit?

12. sarteaga

sarteaga Well-Known Member

hero should work fine for you. Carmina Rain is comparable to Meermin's Elton last IMO.

13. Win545

Win545 Well-Known Member

For me, I think hiro is pretty similar to rain not in term of last shape but in term of fitting. The forepart is pretty tight with the heel being loose. Elton has a narrower heel and grip my feet better.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  14. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Well-Known Member

Where is your foot too wide for Rain? I think Hiro is narrower in the heel but I don't think it's much wider across the ball of the foot. Maybe a hair more toe room since it's rounded and not as chiseled as rain.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  15. jdtjib

jdtjib Member

Mainly at the widest part of my foot. I had no problems in the heel. If I sized up from UK8,5 to UK9, the width was not a problem any more, but in UK9 they were too long. In UK8 I could not even get my foot inside the shoe (though I did not try for long). I have the same problem on the Loake Capital last. It seems like I need a wide fitting shoe, which kinda sucks when I have to stay in Meermin's price range.

16. hindvik

hindvik Member

Hi all, I'm planning on getting either the Hiro or Elton black cap toe and would welcome any sizing advise. I usually wear a US 10.5 D(M), with the occasional 11 D (currently a pair of Sperrys and Cole Haan driving mocs). My foot is ~27.5/28cm L and ~10.5/11cm W, with a hight instep and a narrow heel. And, here is my foot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

17. Harmon Rabb

Harmon Rabb New Member

I"m interested in trying some Meermins but need help on sizing. I'm a US size 10E in most Allen Edmonds lasts, size 10D in most other shoes I have found. Can anyone give a recommendation based on experience of how the Hiro last shoes would fit?

18. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

Looking for sizing advice: I'm about a 9E in Allen Edmonds 5 last. Recommendations seem to range from 7.5 to 8.5 in Meermin. Thanks!

Meermin provided me with measurements but I have no idea how to effectively use them.

19. doomx

doomx Well-Known Member

I am between a 9D and 9E in the 5 last. I got 8.5 in the Ron last.

20. insy

insy Well-Known Member

Guys, as I said it is confirmed that Meermin is usin the exact same lasts as Carmina. So which ones feel similar?