1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

I emailed Pepe, and he anticipates the remainder of them to go out by the end of this week. If you do not hear from Meermin, I would say just shoot them an email to check the status.

DL-

2. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Well-Known Member

Here you go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

They really need to fix the QC problem.

4. LeatherBoot

For the price point I am not sure I should make a fuss about it but they definitely are the sloppiest shoes I have ever owned.

5. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

Mine should be here by Monday according to FedEx. Impressions and images to follow.

DL-

6. othertravel

But it comes down to this: you are paying for the item they advertise on the website. On the website it looks great, with no noticeable flaws.

I don't know. Alot of their shoes look great, but it just seems like common sense would dictate that they would rectify the QC issue.

Edit:

On further reflection, I'll take a step back on my comments. I don't own a pair of meermins, so I can't speak from personal experience. And the price is pretty good. Wishing them all the best.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Guess it depends if it's worth hassle for you. You said fit is fine and it doesn't affect durability. My latest pair of vass has a similar issue but it doesn't really bother me as it is within expectations for me.

Meermin is an amazing value and to get that value you have to deal with minor issues like this. If it bothers you return or exchange them. If not forget about it and enjoy the boots.

8. emidyl

emidyl Well-Known Member

+1,
    I'm not sure how to reply about this. I have been watching with some enthusiasm the various GMTO's floating on the Meermin site and almost pulled the trigger on more than one occasion. And hindsight being what it is, I'm glad I've held back. Granted I'm sure "most" of the GMTO's are perfectly fine, but I'd rather not be the small percentage of owners with an issue. Favourable odds gamble?

I have come across a few complaints through the thread about sloppy construction and finishing, and the common and shocking revelation I find are buyers saying, "I guess for the money I can't really complain" and no one will really notice. WTF??!!
    Personally I find it absolutely unacceptable on any level of said poor craftsmanship. I didn't pay you less money so you can eff it up and send me shoes with different widths, shoddy finishing, and so on...

Point is they (Meermin) are selling you the fact they can make a shoe for less BUT still at qualities we as smart footwear connoisseurs will appreciate. Made in a foreign country with lower skill sets and wages, abusing labour laws? Sure! Second tier tannery sources other than 1st grade? Sure! THESE are the concessions we make and should accept for the prices we pay. NOT for them to deliver you different width shoes and unfinished edges for gods sake!!! That's a completely different tier of the process.

Would you buy a blanket from Walmart that had frayed edges? or better yet one of their George branded dress shirts with 2 different length sleeves.

Come one gentlemen, if this forum has taught us anything, it's to take pride in what we buy and more importantly how we wear what we buy and how it makes us feel.
    I wouldn't feel that way with some of these shoes/boots

9. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

How would you solve the problem then? Return every shoe with a slight error or not 100% finishing? Errors in craftsmanship are going to happen as nobody has fully automated goodyear welt factories. Human error is going to occur and all these issues mentioned here happen with all other makers at similar and 2-5x pricepoints as well. Meermin already allows most unhappy customers an exchange or another solution to the problem. The other makers / retailers in most cases would do the same.

3 people like this.
  10. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

It's like going to McDonalds for dinner rather than a 5 star restaurant. The price will be cheaper, the ingredients not has high quality, and overall service will be less than stellar. That's what your paying for. But surely if your burger was burnt, missing part of the bun, or if they served you the wrong order you would feel justified in either rectifying the issue or asking for a refund. The point is certain things should be expected at Meermin's price point but other aspects are unacceptable.

I guess you have to decide what you consider unacceptable but I bet if Meermin had a painless return policy you would return that pair with the quickness.

11. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

If you have been watching the thread long enough you would see there is plenty of positive meermin experiences and plenty of people whose shoes arrived without even a mark or minor issue to be seen.

Where they fall short is for the price point you can't offer as good a return process as the likes of Carmina and they don't have the scale of AE to absorb that. Keep in mind im talking about minor issues, massive issues like the shoes being notably mis sized etc isn't good but its not all that common and in most cases meermin resolves those.

Where a lot of the issues come in is with expectations like emidyl has, now there's nothing wrong with expecting flawless shoes and I mean flawless in every sense of the word but frankly if you are expecting that, in most instances you are dreaming. I haven't gone above the Carmina shell/Alfred Sargent price point with my shoe purchases but I've had shoes from them arrive with minor scratches, scuffs, minor discolourations etc things which don't affect the structure of the shoe, which no one notices and which for the most part you can make disappear when you clean/wax them. The difference is, in those instances they have a good returns process even for minor things and will basically let you exchange till your hearts content that you get a perfect pair.

In short, even at the more expensive end of the spectrum, flawless shoes aren't guaranteed, so if even an $800 pair might have issues, then perhaps its not a case of meermins being crap but that the shoe manufacturing process isn't as easy and as clean as say making a shirt. And at a higher price point I get better QC and better returns and that's exactly where price comes into it not in regards to craftsmanship for which (those of us who have had good experiences and actually post about it know) Meermins does deliver on.

12. NewYawker

NewYawker Well-Known Member

Very well said gents. At this price point you get what you pay for. You can not expect EG level craftsmanship for a fraction of the cost.

13. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

who doesn't want a sub $200 shoe with great qc control as well as all the bells and whistles that you would find in $500 shoes. no doubt, qc is the biggest knock on Meermin, but i'm not sure whether there's another brand out there that can produce similar quality without paying a significant premium.

there's only so many other brands out there that position itself in the $200 range. what are the alternative options? I find carmina and alred sargent to be pretty good with qc, but that's another $200+ on top of Meermin's gy-1 pricing. due to signfican't premium, no point to bring up the likes of vass right?

14. LeatherBoot

I have already gotten compliments on my boots and I have only worn them three times. They are comfortable and if you don't scrutinize them I think they look pretty good. I bought them to be beaters and to my eye they at least look better than most Allen Edmonds I have seen (granted you don't look at both boots at the same time hahaha).

I emailed Meermin to see what they say. I will report back.

15. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

To compare the shoes to McDonald's is absolutely absurd. Many have rated the Meermin Linea maestro at the same quality as CJ Benchmade, and Meermin classic as AE or better.

Every shoemaker has error, including EG and St Crispins. The margins are likely be different, but people are quick to post complaints instead of praise. To say there are a lot of QC issues is wrong, you just see thr bad ones posted, not the 90% complaint free pairs.

1 person likes this.
  16. othertravel

I think some have commented that LM is just a little below in quality to Carmina, which is pretty good.

17. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

I am reluctant to try Meermin because of the difficulties I have had in the past orderin shoe from overseas. That being said, I think that if I did, my expectations about the quality of the shoes would be realistic. At around $250 for their handwelted line, there should be an expectation of a certain level of finishing. That expectation should be that things will not be perfect, but shouldnt be glaring either.

I have ordered over a dozen pair of shoes from Allen Edmonds Shoebank in 2nd quality. It so happens that the only pair of Allen Edmonds I found a flaw with was a pair of first quality Strands with a crooked toe cap. YMMV, but I think people expecting Ed Greens for Shoebank prices are setting themselves up for disappointment.

18. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

and several have said it is superior to carmina, not sure what you're trying to get at? Seems like a passive aggressive correction of the CJ comparison (which was by several shoe bloggers, not random posters)

19. othertravel

No, just trying to supplement the original comment about LM being comparable to better known brands.

20. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

then I apologize if I mistook it. Regardless, they're a good deal.