1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing back about these. Was cold today and I thought it might be nice to have shearling boots.

2. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

I'm thinking of jumping in on the MTO for the brown/brown suede balmoral boots, but I'm wondering what the proper sizing would be on the Hiro last, particularly for my little toe. If it's any help, I normally wear 11.5E or 12E on the Allen Edmonds 5 last, although I can fit 12D in some styles. 12D on the 4 last is about a perfect fit for me.

The only UK-sized shoes I have are two pairs of Charles Tyrwhitt spectators in 11F which fit well, a pair of Gieves & Hawkes in 12F that are a bit too big, and a pair of 11F Paul Stuart's by Alfred Sargent that I think are on a 726 last that are a little snug but wearable.

Basically, I'm on the fence about choosing 11 or 11.5UK for the boots.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  3. zorglubb

zorglubb Well-Known Member

I've had these boots(Sebago) for 2 years now, worn them in all kinds of weather(snow and wet, 8 months a year). The vibram sole seems to be holding up just fine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Well-Known Member

I'd go with 11. They fit pretty TTS for me. I haven't had any pinky toe issues with them, and I do on lasts like AE's 2.

5. batsim

batsim Member

They look excellent! Thanks for the reply.

6. ScottMC

ScottMC Well-Known Member

I have been missing out on all the balmoral boot MTO groups [​IMG]

@Meermin I would like to suggest a formal bal boot in its purest form for the next MTO group. Model 101477, all black calf, Hiro last, plain stitched cap toe (no punching or pinking), single leather or HAF leather sole.

Who is with me?

7. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on how long it typically takes to hear back from Meermin about setting up a GMTO? I emailed them last week and haven't heard anything yet.

8. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

I emailed and heard nothing for days, but they got back to me very quickly through the contact form on their site.

9. Willj

Willj Member

Hello gents, I'm a new member here and I have been looking at Meermin shoes for a while now. Just some background, I'm a younger man (early 20s) and seeking out some quality shoes at a reasonable price. I would like something versatile that I can wear on a series of occasions and I've specifically had my eye on this pair:

https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4391

What do you guys think of the shoe? More importantly, what is the best way to get an accurate measure of my shoe size? I asked a member on the Meermin team and they had recommended a size 9UK as I am normally a 10US. Also, what are shipping times like for this company? Finally, if you think any shoe would be more versatile than this one please don't hesitate to chime in. Thanks!

10. esoxm

esoxm Well-Known Member

Has anyone successfully lobbied them to do a specific GMTO since they launched their new program this fall? When I've inquired I've been directed to keep checking their current GMTO line-up until I see something that I like.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  11. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Forum GMTO and the site's GMTO are a bit different. You really dont' have a choice in any of the details, whereas a forum GMTO can offer you choices in linning color, textbook writing, laces, different last shape etc...However forum GMTOs take much longer (6 months from my experience) to deliever than the "anticipated" delivery date of 2 months for website GMTO.

12. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the GMTO program was based on customer submissions. Is that not the case? They just put up what they want and see if people buy in?

13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

In terms of the GMTO on the website, from bits and pieces over the years it seems like pepe and the team were always creating and experimenting with new designs, leathers and doing small sample runs. The big cartel website use to have a few of their samples, some became regular products but a lot didn't seem to and as has been commented on before and as you can see in pics of their physical store they have a lot more models in store than they do online...the GMTO just seems like a way to make those experiments, new designs and samples more economically and move the stock faster, I assume as an offshoot it also allows them to gauge the popularity of an item whereas in the past they may have had to guess if an item would be a seller,..although I have yet to see any GMTO items become part of the regular line up so who knows.

Customers seem to be able to influence it through feedback/demand of particular runs and I imagine if you had a good idea for a shoe and they liked it, it would possibly get a run.

Im just theorising though, would be great if meermin would return to the forums semi regularly and let us know whats in the works, whats changing, what we can expect in 2015 etc.

14. bebop d

bebop d Well-Known Member

^^^^ [​IMG]

15. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Meermin should at least give us a few options and let buyers vote what they would like to see in a website GMTO. Is it really necessary to offer a black captoe oxford or black double monk? Those should be standard offerings...

1 person likes this.
  16. Bureaucrat

Bureaucrat Well-Known Member

Probably the most versatile shoe on the site right now (or maybe the brown suede full brogue oxfords). The only thing that would be more versatile would be a full-brogue brown calf oxford IMO, but apparently Meermin only stocks that type of shoe in black calf (which is rather confusing). Shipping times are a gamble. Could be a week, could be months, no one can really say for sure.

Sizing can be extra tricky if you don't own any other "quality" shoes for reference. I would go out and try on some shoes, take up the name of the last and maker that fits you and give the details to Meermin. For example, what you would wear in the Loake Capital last is probably what you would be wearing in Hiro/Olfe.

17. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

I bought this very pair for its versatility. It should be a very quick delivery as it's a stock model - received my pair in less than a week. If you're from the US, I highly recommend you go out and try-on other shoes in various sizes before ordering from Meermin because returning shoes to Spain is arduous and expensive task. A brand such as AE would be a fairly decent gauge since it is widely available and most members in this thread should have some experience with its last sizing. Just as a caveat, individual experience varies, but If this is any help down the road:

Meermin: Olfe, Park, Hiro, - 8UK Rui - 7.5UK

AE: 5-last, 8- last, 1-last: 9D

Keep in mind that the shoes in your link is on the Olfe last, which is a slightly tapered yet comfortable last.

18. theinsomniac

theinsomniac Well-Known Member

Email them first to find out if your size is in stock. If it is, you could get them in about a week.

If not, I think you could be waiting up to 2 months. I ordered the Country Calf Punched Cap Oxfords, which is one of their standard models and it took 2 months.

19. 123nobody321

123nobody321 New Member

Does anyone know if (and when) Meermin comes up with new shoes? (Not the MTM, but the standard ones).
    I have the feeling that the models right now (especially Oxfords) were the same for quite a long time!?

Thanks & regards

20. ElliottN

ElliottN Active Member

Exactly. The recent gmto offerings have been somewhat boring and imo should be part of the standard catalogue. Would love to see meermin offer something like the c&j onslow, especially with their hand-stitched apron...