• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often are the shoes on stock so that we don't need to wait a month before they ship the shoes?

KZ404

Reaction score
There seems to be a few group MTOs going, but I would like to ask if anyone is interested in a group MTO Suede Unlined Chukka.

Sandro has told me they are able to make a pair of chukka unlined on the back/heel part (so half unlined?)

Something similar to Alden or Crockett and Jones unlined chukka.
Charcoal Suede
Two Eyelets
Sky/Storm Welt
Rubber Soles (Grey Color if possible)
Hiro Last

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll stir the Meermin vs. Allen Edmonds pot a little
stirpot.gif

Polo has a great winter sale going, and I grabbed a pair of AE suede LWBs to use as beaters for $140. People complain about little imperfections, but Meermin produces shoes that absolutely blow AE out of the water in terms of quality, finishing, and styling. I know there are a lot of AE fans, but even with the upgraded features AE does for Polo (double soles, full insole, dovetail heel) these shoes are barely worth the $140. The fact that some poor saps actually paid the full retail of $525 is cringe inducing.

Others have had issues, but Meermin has always responded to my emails within a day and the shoes have always met my expectations. IMHO, Meermin represents the best shoe value out there. Anyone on the fence should take the Meermin plunge before buying AEs (or the infamous AE seconds). Just remember, a little patience is required.

Have to both agree and disagree. People certainly take little imperfections way too far on complaints. I've had those come from nearly every manufacturer including AE, Alden and Carmina. Even seen small errors on higher end shoes.

Meermin provides great features for the price and the finishing is top notch. Allen Edmonds provides consistency. I've never had a pair of AEs experience any of the problems that the people here have. It's an all around solid and durable shoe that does it's job well, especially for the price. It's also American made and designed, so its no surprise the asthetics are far clunkier and the price tag higher. In the UK I find many brands prices below AE with far better finishing. Having owned a few they lack the durability the same way that I find Meermin does when compared with AE.

I think it comes down to an attitude of functionality versus aesthetics. Meermin are slightly better value and far prettier but in doing so inherently sacrifices some of their durability. AE tends to have far more cosmetic errors (like the ones mentioned here, or slightly uneven sewing or storm welt ect) but have worn far harder for me. If I were still at an intern level, I'd go AE seconds before Meermin for the above reasons.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to both agree and disagree. People certainly take little imperfections way too far on complaints. I've had those come from nearly every manufacturer including AE, Alden and Carmina. Even seen small errors on higher end shoes.

Meermin provides great features for the price and the finishing is top notch. Allen Edmonds provides consistency. I've never had a pair of AEs experience any of the problems that the people here have. It's an all around solid and durable shoe that does it's job well, especially for the price. It's also American made and designed, so its no surprise the asthetics are far clunkier and the price tag higher. In the UK I find many brands prices below AE with far better finishing. Having owned a few they lack the durability the same way that I find Meermin does when compared with AE.

I think it comes down to an attitude of functionality versus aesthetics. Meermin are slightly better value and far prettier but in doing so inherently sacrifices some of their durability. AE tends to have far more cosmetic errors (like the ones mentioned here, or slightly uneven sewing or storm welt ect) but have worn far harder for me. If I were still at an intern level, I'd go AE seconds before Meermin for the above reasons.

I agree Shaprio, I think the difference is with AE they are normally more than happy to send a replacement or refund your money (in the States) - or you've just purchased seconds for 1/3 the price so who cares -, with carmina same deal because of the price you pay for the shoes they can afford to pay for your shipping back and send you a replacement very quickly, likewise for Herrings+Alfred Sargents. With meermin you are paying the bottom rate for quality shoes there really is no margin in it for them to correct minor imperfections which simply can occur with every shoe tbh.

In terms of quality, I own some of each of these brands and Loake == AE == Meermin are all on the same level of quality imo but each has their own unique styles which separates them.

abi1986

Reaction score

In the UK I find many brands prices below AE with far better finishing. Having owned a few they lack the durability the same way that I find Meermin does when compared with AE.

What brands do you refer to? Cheaper thani AE but with better finishing...
Thanks!

abi1986

Reaction score

There seems to be a few group MTOs going, but I would like to ask if anyone is interested in a group MTO Suede Unlined Chukka.

Sandro has told me they are able to make a pair of chukka unlined on the back/heel part (so half unlined?)

Something similar to Alden or Crockett and Jones unlined chukka.
Charcoal Suede
Two Eyelets
Sky/Storm Welt
Hiro Last

Sorry, but what is the difference between unlined and normal chukka boots?

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brands do you refer to? Cheaper thani AE but with better finishing...
Thanks!

Barker and Loake on occasion.

You can often find them cheaper in some small stores and they are cheaper than AE depending on the exchange rate. They're just not as clunky as AE.

If I'm wearing a pair of shoes to the office and I know they will get stepped on/ abused on the way there, Loake's corrected grain offerings can be a decent choice if picked up sub $150.

Barker has some amazing looking lasts.

AE also does a terrible job, IMO, with smaller sized shoes. They don't scale the pattern well.

Last edited:

KZ404

Reaction score
Sorry, but what is the difference between unlined and normal chukka boots?
It doesn't have the inner lining of the shoe, so there is less structure. So on the heel/back part it would only be 1 layer of suede instead of suede then a structure layer (someone correct me if I describing it incorrectly).

Rev0

Reaction score
Got my plum museums as well today. I'm very happy with it, no noticeable flaws. And as a little bonus a Saphir Medaille d'Or High Gloss wax in burgundy was included. Now I'm wondering, won't the colored wax obscure the 'museum' effect and should I use a clear wax instead?

Good point. Also got the bonus Saphir burgundy wax, and I'm not sure either.

Perhaps someone more experienced with Museum leather can answer?

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. Also got the bonus Saphir burgundy wax, and I'm not sure either.

Perhaps someone more experienced with Museum leather can answer?

In my experience, it doesn't.

Here are some pictures of my plum museum calf's in the Hiro last. Dark burgundy painted soles. For the next one, there will be special insoles. I am thinking 2 tone black/dark grey museum calf austerity brogues
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

burghler

Reaction score
^Thanks for posting TS and for organizing everything. I had taken a few low quality pics that didn't do the leather justice, so I hesitated to post them. Now I don't have to

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Something similar to Alden or Crockett and Jones unlined chukka.
Charcoal Suede
Two Eyelets
Sky/Storm Welt
Hiro Last

I would be interested if we could do an option for a snuff or tan suede on a crepe sole. As a summer shoe, I would be more inclined to have a crepe sole. Would the suede be split suede or reverse calf? This would be a big sticking point for me as split suede would not hold up structurally if it were unlined.
Image From Leffot:
DSC_00141-500x332.jpg

David-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads