1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

Correct. If you wear a US 9.5 in AE 5 Last then get a UK 9 on the Hiro Last.
    LoL at least that would be my suggestion as thats what I did.

2. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Will the width make any difference as I wear a wide width in the AE 5-last?

3. patliean1

That part I'm not sure of. I will say that with my d-monks I have to fasten both straps using the last hole on each strap. With your feet in particular you just might not be able to fasten them as tightly if you have wider feet.

Besides that if you still have doubts then chances are the Hiro last just may not be a good fit for you.

4. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

I guess my only option is to try them on! Maybe when I have a chance to go to Spain in the spring. Thanks for the response!

5. patliean1

No worries sir. I was fortunate enough to visit their shop in Madrid while on vacation two weeks ago. Saved me a lot of aggravation and frustration concerning fit.

6. theinsomniac

theinsomniac Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing that, I almost joined that one.

7. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Well-Known Member

I am also UK9.5 and have both Meermin Hiro d-monks and Carmina oxfords on Rain in UK9.5. I find Hiro is a much tighter fit due to smaller toe box and slightly narrower last than Rain.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  8. theinsomniac

theinsomniac Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite, 5.5UK oxfords in Hiro and 5.5UK derby in Rain, and the Rain is noticeably tighter across the ball of the feet, in fact, too tight on the first few wears and I'm still breaking them in. The heel on the Rain is looser than the Hiro though, which requires great effort to slip in without a shoe horn.

9. ScottMC

ScottMC Well-Known Member

Is anyone thinking of going in on the brown calf bal boot? The group doesn't seem to be building much steam...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  10. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Well-Known Member

5 days left and the dark brown calf monk straps are at 60%.

Is it likely they'll get funded before it's over?

The Chelsea boots seem to be at 81.25% and have 8 days left!

11. techaview

techaview Well-Known Member

The austerity GMTO should be ready in couple of weeks time according to Pepe email to me. Will update if there is any pictures from him. Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  12. tkillips

tkillips New Member

Gentlemen,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

Looking to get my feet into a pair of these seemingly great shoes, but, much like everyone else, I'm trying to avoid the hassle of dealing with returning an ill-fitting pair.

Currently, the only pair of shoes I own is a pair of AE Park Avenues (5-65 last) in a 12D, which fit well (but are a bit antiquated in styling).

After a rough in-home measurement, my foot measures 28.5cm long by 9.5cm wide.

Any help with recommending which size & last to go with using the above information? I've had my eye on the Linea Maestro collection.

I've tried sifting through this thread to no avail, so I apologize if there has been a definitive answer to this that I missed (but would love a link to it if there is).

TK

13. mattg1027

mattg1027 Active Member

Meermin's own recommendation is to size down 1 size from AE 5 last to get your size in Hiro/Olfe, so AE 12D (US) = Hiro/Olfe 11 (UK). That recommendation has worked for me (10.5D AE = 9.5 Hiro), but I do have slightly more room in the Meermins.

On another note, bummed I missed my chance to get on that dark brown Chelsea boot GMTO! Was waiting for a new credit card to come in the mail and when it came I checked and it was gone. Emailed them but they said it was full. :-/

Also, it seems like I was wrong and my previous GMTO order of the Antique Brown Wingtip Boot is not going to be showing up at my door this week... it was the other shoe I had on the same order (plum museum calf oxford). I'll still post pics of both when I have them.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to score a brand new pair of punched captoe brown musuems from another member last week, for those on the fence about museum calf or meermins, essentially in office or low light the effect is barely noticeable all you have is a nice brown pair of shoes but in natural or bright light you can easily see the effect in all its glory, looks great.

16. indefinitle

indefinitle Member

Quick question. I just paid for my shoes, but I have a last question for loafers.

I ordered a pair of penny loafers on the BOB last. Ive heard that loafers tend to run a little large compared to their oxfords.

If I am an 8 on Hiro, what size should my loafers be? 8 or 7.5?

17. ScottMC

ScottMC Well-Known Member

Dear @Meermin :

Please consider another run of the Dark Brown Balmoral/Hiro boot with rubber soles. Or a Brown Museum version.

Thank you.

18. mattg1027

mattg1027 Active Member

And another run of the chelsea boot too, please @Meermin ! Perhaps in brown museum calf this time around to mix it up a bit?

I just got my first sample of museum calf in the mail and fell in love with it very quickly! Here are the promised pics... tried to take a few angles to give a good view of the last and the plum color / museum mottled effect. My fears that it would be too purple were quickly dispelled. Inside it almost looked between dark brown and maroon... outside in some good lighting it looks like a mottled burgundy to me. None of the photos have any color processing, but several have the contrast tweaked to show off the effect or the glare reduced. The fifth photo is completely unprocessed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  19. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Well-Known Member

Wow! Those look great :slayer: